Bearger troubles

So the main thing I enjoy about this game, is exploring.

NOT repairing my base every few days ._. ...

Is there any way to stop bearger BEFORE he destroys all my stuff?

This happened approx 2 seconds after first hearing his footsteps... He destroyed my magnificient box of hats :( As well he scoffed all the tallbird eggs i'd collected for winter...

dammitbeargerhats_by_rhodanthe_roseora-d

Sometimes the game gives late warnings or sometimes no warnings at all, what I do is always carry a panflute to put him to sleep whenever he appears and take the fight somewhere else.

luckily for me the only giant that appears in my base is the Goose, and he's far too weak to destroy anything besides walls

My usual thing for the Bearger--if I don't already have a metric butt-ton of traps nearby to lead him to--is to lure him to an isolated area and plop 10 honey on the ground, then tip-toe away once he falls asleep. 

Make sure it's ISOLATED, though.  Stupid pigs... : P

...Notorious

In a pinch, I've led him through a very long chase throughout my world.  As it knocked down trees, eventually enough tree guards spawned to take it out.  As a preventative measure, if you were to plant your own dense forest relatively close by, then you could lead him through it next time and probably get some help that way.  

All in all, depends on what you want to do with Bearger, defeat or placate?  

I usually get a "that sounds like something big" or something like that warning and some growls. Usually by the second growl I know I have to be out of base and it will spawn very soon. I was lucky enough to base outside of a pig village (with pig king) that is right next to not only a swamp (tentacles) but also next to the desert with beefalos. I don't like using pigs because they get killed so easily to these giant monsters. My first option is always the swamp. I go there whenever I get any warning of a monster or my screen shakes from moosegoose.

Here's my recent experience with Bearger day 168 playing last night:

Recently Bearger spawned in the swamp like I wanted, aggro'd him to tentacles and he killed many of them easily and I was getting low on tentacles. If there is a spider queen in the swamp I will aggro bearger to that but this time there wasn't a spider queen. He destroyed a lure plant that I placed between the swamp and desert. Then I had to aggro him to the beefalo. He destroyed like 3 herds of beefalo before finally dying. Glad I was able to get his thick fur cause for some reason other times tentacles kill him I didn't seem to get the fur.

I almost thought he would make the beefalo go extinct in my game since I had only 3 big herds in that desert. Luckily a couple didn't aggro on and I have about a dozen or so straggler beefalo left which I hope regenerate soon. So now I have like a 200 stack of meat and 200 of beefalo wool and 16 horns. I'm making tons of beefy stew with nothing but the meat and normal jerky which is great for sanity/health so I can keep a stack of them on me at all times. Eventually I will cook a bunch of bacon-n-eggs since I have 100 monster meat and 80 eggs. I'll probably make 16 beefalo hats and just make a pile of them instead of making chests for them. I have over 100 silk so I might as well make a pile of winter hats as well. 

It was just so epic the amount of loot from Bearger vs 3 herds of beefalo. Only downside is I should have planted tons of trees so bearger can destroy those and I get more wood (so I can make tons of chests) next time.

It's pretty unusual for him to appear with no warning at all. As soon as you hear him, or any giant, run as far from your base as possible. Have a plan. If there's a nearby wormhole, use that. After a while you learn to be always prepared for whichever giant comes with the season. Run Deerclops and Bearger to the woods for wood and treeguards, have 20 ashes and 14 gunpowder for Dragonfly, and a beefalo hat for Goose Goose. I spend the summer in the caves but I pop out for Dragonfly late in the season because I love those scaled chests. So I keep a chest at the cave entrance with supplies to blow him up inside. If you keep your woods planted, Bearger and Deerclops will make sure you never have to chop another tree and losing one chest wil be NBD.

Seasonal giants are fairly easy to handle if you are familiar with them. They are also easy to kite except the Dragon Efin Fly. Just pay attention to their warning sounds, you can react for a minimum of 30secs before they spawn. For bearger, prepare at least a logsuit, football helmet, 10 jerky and tenta spike or higher. Hit 2 times after every swipes then once after its slam. There are many ways to kill it but it will feel more satisfying when you tear that giant via kiting. Also you can easily take him down every time he spawns once you master its attack pattern, maybe even using just a spear and your muscle memory.

You must always be ready to fight a giant,whenever you are.A marble suit,a tentacle spike should always be in the backpack.If you hear the sounds,go far away from your base and wait to for the giants to come and fight them with the way you do (I always tank it)

Only giant I have problems with is Dragonfly, probably the hardest to fight even if you use the two rocks or two endos. I can kite and kill moosgoose, deerclops and bearger no problem but I would rather have them softened up by tentacles or beefalo to half health because I don't want to hit them 50 times with a tentacle spike or hambat. Fighting deerclops is such a sanity drain too so I try to get them to half health before kiting.

Easiest way is panflute or sleeping darts (I prefer this when i have no mandrakes in my world) then 10-15 gunpowder (Bearger/MooseGoose 15 - Dragonfly 14 - DeerClops 10) and kite them the rest of the way so the loot doesn't burn. Nitre will run out so gunpowder isn't as renewable (i know people use moleworm farms to TRY and get nitre).

Archived