Hi, I've been wanting to ask the community what kind of strategies you guys use for Webber.

I regularly play as Webber and have been developing certain skills. About a couple weeks ago, I did found out a good strategy that will get me plenty of bacon and eggs, healing salves, spiderhats and a solid army of spiders. To put it briefly, I pretty much gather all or most of the spider eggs I can get from the world and put them into one gigantic farm. I try to have at least four in one spot with a firepit in the middle while I have dens in groups of two in other places where they will multiply and turn into queens, making more spider eggs.

With the four or more dens, I use monster meat and fake attack one of the neutral spiders and start a spider war. Lots of monster meat, spider glands, and silk are being gathered there and all that good stuff. To make bacon and eggs, I turn some monster meat into eggs and I gather the healthy meats by using silk to make bird traps and cooking captured birds over the fire for a 100% chance for a morsel. For healing salves, I pretty much make plenty due to the surplus of spider glands and rocks, and if I'm lucky I have something to burn into ash. And as for spiderhats, I wait until a den turns into a queen then I have all of the spiders gang up on her; it allows me to make my job as a spider farmer; I use it to wake up my spiders during the day and have them follow me immediately for stuff.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. But I'm just wondering if there are any other players who regularly play as Webber if they have recommendations as to what kind of strategy I could be doing instead or what kind of changes should be made to my current one.

I look forward to your replies. :)

Wait do spiderhats have any reason to exist in a webber run? Like, any benefit you can make from it?

I actually never did the bacon and eggs thing but I just recently learned of the beauty of the Bacon and Eggs, on a non Webber run.

I usually just craft a ton of spidernests, drop em somewhere, and go there when i need.

I have to try your strategies really, they sound pretty cool.

I am(or at least Was) a Webber main, but I never really found some gamebreaking strategy. Bare in mind I just recently survived to lategame(only been like 3 runs that passed a year, and they carry on for quite a while) though.

Always glad to see more Webbers though

Instead of bothering with catching a bird and cooking to get a morsel, why not gamble your luck on 2 monster meat and 2 eggs that has 50/50 chances of giving you Bacon & Eggs or Monster Lasagna, either way is a win/win for Webber as he doesn't get the health nor sanity penalty from eating the lasagna.

You should avoid making too many spider dens in a small area as at dusk when spiders starts to spawn will eat more resources of the hosting server and has the potential to cause lag for other players.

1 hour ago, cezarica said:

Instead of bothering with catching a bird and cooking to get a morsel, why not gamble your luck on 2 monster meat and 2 eggs that has 50/50 chances of giving you Bacon & Eggs or Monster Lasagna, either way is a win/win for Webber as he doesn't get the health nor sanity penalty from eating the lasagna.

This is exactly right and worth making a note of OP. Even if you decide not to eat the Monster Lasagna because it's a worse food, it doesn't matter cause Monster Meat is free and abundant. Webber can pretty much set up an efficient and permanent food supply anywhere on the map without the need for any other resources once a birdcage is built and spider nests are established. You don't need birds or rabbit holes and it's impervious to Winter. 

A surprisingly good location for Webber to live is the Swamp biome. You'll need to clear an area for trees/saplings/grass but once you do it's a great source of resources. Plenty reeds for more spider nests and darts; plenty green mushrooms for your tiny sanity pool; lots of food from tentacle/spider/merm fights; tentacles are a great line of defence. Check out this guide.

I once found a swamp bordering a desert (or at least relatively close). It was the ultimate combination as I didn't need to plant grass or saplings thanks to Tumbleweed and I could place spider nests near Hound Mounds for a tooth farm. 

Played with a webber who set up his 3-4 spider nest in the caves around a tentacle, waited till the spiders were out wondering, then hit a giant tentacle. A TON of tentacles spawned around and pretty much destroyed all of the spiders nearby. Pretty cheecky. Farm all the mushroom trees in the caves in combination with the infinite monster meat makes ez meatball survival. 

On 4/29/2016 at 11:55 PM, AnonymousKoala said:

Wait do spiderhats have any reason to exist in a webber run? Like, any benefit you can make from it?

I actually never did the bacon and eggs thing but I just recently learned of the beauty of the Bacon and Eggs, on a non Webber run.

I usually just craft a ton of spidernests, drop em somewhere, and go there when i need.

I have to try your strategies really, they sound pretty cool.

I am(or at least Was) a Webber main, but I never really found some gamebreaking strategy. Bare in mind I just recently survived to lategame(only been like 3 runs that passed a year, and they carry on for quite a while) though.

Always glad to see more Webbers though

Spiderhats can allow me to wake up a spider den during the day and either make them attack their own den as a tier 3 OR I can make some spiders AND spider warriors come out to do some quick defending or attacking. Or I could use this item if I don't feel like using food to recruit them.

Bacon and Eggs are actually a really good substance for Webber while Meatballs don't really do much. Taking meatballs for instance, especially on a winter, if I have a birdcage, I turn 3 of my monster meat from my spider farm into eggs, and use those 3 eggs + 1 monster meat to make a meatball. A meatball restores about 62 hunger. However, for a Webber, you can just eat four monster meat without transforming any into eggs (unless spoiling) for a total of 75 hunger. 

Now, do note that Bacon and Eggs are worth 75 hunger, as much as four monster meat, as well as a whopping 20 health. To be able to make them, I have to at least get morsels. Since I always get a surplus of silk as Webber, I make like a billion bird traps and lay them out everywhere. Then I have the capture birds cooked over a fire for a confirmed morsel, throw that in with a monster meat and two eggs, then I get a bacon and egg, which has more hunger value than the ingredients I put in themselves. 

On 4/30/2016 at 7:28 PM, gonz008 said:

Played with a webber who set up his 3-4 spider nest in the caves around a tentacle, waited till the spiders were out wondering, then hit a giant tentacle. A TON of tentacles spawned around and pretty much destroyed all of the spiders nearby. Pretty cheecky. Farm all the mushroom trees in the caves in combination with the infinite monster meat makes ez meatball survival. 

You know..... if a Webber and a Wickerbottom team up, you could get a good number of tentacle spikes and tentacle spots. Just use Wickerbottom's On Tentacles book near some spider dens, have a Webber be near his spiders during dusk and watch the magic happen as the spiders annihilate the tentacles for some quick and easy-to-get loot. Just take care when grabbing it with tentacles around. 

On 4/29/2016 at 4:36 AM, cezarica said:

You should avoid making too many spider dens in a small area as at dusk when spiders starts to spawn will eat more resources of the hosting server and has the potential to cause lag for other players.

Not worth it. For one, Webber almost always get a surplus of silk that he has no idea what to do with. What's the best way to use your silk and get plenty of food at the same time? Bird traps. They come to you and it's easy to get, especially if you lure them with seeds if you need to obtain them quickly. A monster lasagna only restores 37.5 hunger, which is 37.5 hunger less than eating just four monster meat (total of 70). It's better to think of efficient uses of your supplies instead of just gambling for a food item that's virtually worthless.

As for the lag.... well I can't really deflect that. That does happen sometimes. But usually it doesn't happen. It only depends on the server connection speed and router which it's bound to that determines its incapabilities. 

Webber main here.

Spider nests. Traps and spears. Settle near rocks and/or a sustainable amount of grass. Rocks for healing salves, grass for spears and stuff. Tadaa; food isn't a problem. Sanity is something you have more time to find a sustainable way to restore; bees & a crockpot.

3 minutes ago, Bebbit said:

Webber main here.

Spider nests. Traps and spears. Settle near rocks and/or a sustainable amount of grass. Rocks for healing salves, grass for spears and stuff. Tadaa; food isn't a problem. Sanity is something you have more time to find a sustainable way to restore; bees & a crockpot.

I suggest you camp in a desert where there are lots of cacti, which are REALLY good for sanity. If you need rocks, just mass mine them. Grass? Just pick them and get plenty of rot to fertilize them, which can be easily done by collecting berries then just letting them rot in the ground.

I also suggest, in any gameplay, you get supplies for four crockpots, put them in a circle somehow, then get an icebox or two in the center AFTER you set the crockpots. 

As for bees, unless you have lots of time to kill, focus on other objectives such as getting warm clothing, getting your spider farm going, finding walruses to hunt down during winter, so on. (This is the case if you're starting out in Autumn.)

4 hours ago, BirdyMurakami said:

Spiderhats can allow me to wake up a spider den during the day and either make them attack their own den as a tier 3 OR I can make some spiders AND spider warriors come out to do some quick defending or attacking. Or I could use this item if I don't feel like using food to recruit them.

Bacon and Eggs are actually a really good substance for Webber while Meatballs don't really do much. Taking meatballs for instance, especially on a winter, if I have a birdcage, I turn 3 of my monster meat from my spider farm into eggs, and use those 3 eggs + 1 monster meat to make a meatball. A meatball restores about 62 hunger. However, for a Webber, you can just eat four monster meat without transforming any into eggs (unless spoiling) for a total of 75 hunger. 

Now, do note that Bacon and Eggs are worth 75 hunger, as much as four monster meat, as well as a whopping 20 health. To be able to make them, I have to at least get morsels. Since I always get a surplus of silk as Webber, I make like a billion bird traps and lay them out everywhere. Then I have the capture birds cooked over a fire for a confirmed morsel, throw that in with a monster meat and two eggs, then I get a bacon and egg, which has more hunger value than the ingredients I put in themselves. 

I didnt know spiderhats were useful as Webber. Holy sit this changes everything. 

Oh yeah, btw, there is this one "exploit" I know of in DST. If you have followers and if you fake attack an enemy with a ranged weapon, such as a boomerang or dart, that counts as an order to attack. Your followers will still think, "Oh our friend is attacking this guy. Let's kill him too!". You can do this by initiating an attack then doing some other action like moving to cancel it. Just make sure your character says their battlecry like "En garde!" to ensure you made your order and make sure you avoid actually attacking yourself. This is especially useful for spider wars for my shipment of spider loot or if I'm battling an Ewecus.

I will not be happy if that gets nerfed.... :/

9 hours ago, BirdyMurakami said:

Not worth it. For one, Webber almost always get a surplus of silk that he has no idea what to do with. What's the best way to use your silk and get plenty of food at the same time? Bird traps. They come to you and it's easy to get, especially if you lure them with seeds if you need to obtain them quickly. A monster lasagna only restores 37.5 hunger, which is 37.5 hunger less than eating just four monster meat (total of 70). It's better to think of efficient uses of your supplies instead of just gambling for a food item that's virtually worthless.

As for the lag.... well I can't really deflect that. That does happen sometimes. But usually it doesn't happen. It only depends on the server connection speed and router which it's bound to that determines its incapabilities. 

I half agree. The thing with Webber is that I find myself with tons of spoiling Monster Meat. Because MM isn't seasonal I don't even bother spending the time to dry it. So what do I do with all my MM? I gamble for bacon and eggs. If I'm low I'll use traps, but it's just another step. I have 4 crockpots around my fridge and just fill them all. On average I get 2 bacon and eggs. Monster lasagna just sits rotting on the floor since it's usually not worth an inventory spot. 

Is your way more efficient? Definitely, but I'm lazy ha. I'm creating spider wars anyway, so I'd rather just build 2 extra crockpots once, than have to manage bird traps (as easy as they are to manage) all the time. Of course if for whatever reason I'm low on MM I'll use bird/rabbit traps, but this is usually a non-issue once I reach mid-winter. 

I honestly used to always play with bird traps or rabbit traps but I tried without and it's exactly the same other than not having to bother managing traps. 

5 hours ago, BirdyMurakami said:

Oh yeah, btw, there is this one "exploit" I know of in DST. If you have followers and if you fake attack an enemy with a ranged weapon, such as a boomerang or dart, that counts as an order to attack. Your followers will still think, "Oh our friend is attacking this guy. Let's kill him too!". You can do this by initiating an attack then doing some other action like moving to cancel it. Just make sure your character says their battlecry like "En garde!" to ensure you made your order and make sure you avoid actually attacking yourself. This is especially useful for spider wars for my shipment of spider loot or if I'm battling an Ewecus.

I will not be happy if that gets nerfed.... :/

Wait its an exploit? I always thought that the ctrl and click on an enemy(attack bla bla bla) was a feature O_O

10 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Wait its an exploit? I always thought that the ctrl and click on an enemy(attack bla bla bla) was a feature O_O

It is a feature in Don't Starve singleplayer, you can just simply left click and you will order to attack. However, in DST, you can't order them like that. You have to initiate an attack somehow to get them to do something. 

I'm not sure if "exploit" was the right word to use on my part..... (Eh... I'm too tired to finish this reply. )

1 hour ago, BeastNips said:

I half agree. The thing with Webber is that I find myself with tons of spoiling Monster Meat. Because MM isn't seasonal I don't even bother spending the time to dry it. So what do I do with all my MM? I gamble for bacon and eggs. If I'm low I'll use traps, but it's just another step. I have 4 crockpots around my fridge and just fill them all. On average I get 2 bacon and eggs. Monster lasagna just sits rotting on the floor since it's usually not worth an inventory spot. 

Is your way more efficient? Definitely, but I'm lazy ha. I'm creating spider wars anyway, so I'd rather just build 2 extra crockpots once, than have to manage bird traps (as easy as they are to manage) all the time. Of course if for whatever reason I'm low on MM I'll use bird/rabbit traps, but this is usually a non-issue once I reach mid-winter. 

I honestly used to always play with bird traps or rabbit traps but I tried without and it's exactly the same other than not having to bother managing traps. 

I like efficiency better than chancing/gambling. You have your way, I have mine. 

Archived