Custom Character Mod Issues [RESOLVED]

Hey, all! Maximo is all updated and is working on the Klei Don't Starve Together Workshop!!! Maximo Elias Prole on the Workshop!

Thank you Halfrose and ImDaMisterL!!!! So, so, so much!

2016-02-07_00001.jpg

2016-02-07_00003.jpg

The following is what was happening and is now resolved!

What was happening:

Hey all! I keep getting this error that pops up on the screen with my mod that I have created, now it is still in its testing stage so I just want to be sure all the animation and stuff is still working in the mod. Unfortunately, I continuously get this warning and it won't let me start the game at all without disabling his mod and stuff. I am willing to offer up all the coding and everything so that someone can help me. Any help is greatly appreciated! :wilson_love:

[[UPDATE as of February 7th 2016 at 4:57 in the morning!]]

OKAY

I've decided to completely redo everything but leave all my art assets so that I can easily put them into a new folder!

I used another mod that simply added a character and did nothing special and have edited all the art so far (I messed up where I'm positioning his face and now all of his facial expressions don't line up very well with one another--my own artist error!) and he is working fine! 

Once I change all the file names from the other name to "maximo" and everything to "MAXIMO" and such I will update on how it's going! Otherwise, look here!

[[UPDATED AGAIN Feb 7 5 something in the morning]]

Okay, the game just crashed. I didn't even get to the character select screen this time. The game just came up with a dialog box that said I had to check the log. I don't know where that is right now, so yeah... I'm gonna go through and double check files and stuff. Hhhh.

Edited by pbjwb
Updated because the problem has been resolved!

• Developer

Hey @pbjwb

I'm not an expert in this stuff, but it seems like you didn't name the xml inside your images folder right...

I think you might've named it something in the file and called it differently in the code :p

I'm not sure though, but do check that out and report back here to tell us if the error persisted or not!

Edited by ImDaMisterL

5 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Hey @pbjwb

I'm not an expert in this stuff, but it seems like you didn't name the xml inside your images folder right...

I think you might've named it something in the file and called it differently in the code :p

I'm not sure though, but do check that out and report back here to tell us if the error persisted or not!

Okay, I went through and made sure everything matched up with esctemplate being switched to waximo and all instances of ESCTEMPLATE being switched to WAXIMO, however it seems to still persist. I checked all the files too... Thanks for getting back to me, by the way!

On 2/3/2016 at 11:39 PM, pbjwb said:

Okay, I went through and made sure everything matched up with esctemplate being switched to waximo and all instances of ESCTEMPLATE being switched to WAXIMO, however it seems to still persist. I checked all the files too... Thanks for getting back to me, by the way!

You forgot to do the following

go to the images, find the 'names_character.xml'
Open it with notepad++ and change the element name from names_character.tex to character.tex

then go to portraits, select character_none.xml open it with notepad++
rename the element from character_none.tex to character_none_oval.tex

On 2/5/2016 at 9:08 PM, halfrose said:

You forgot to do the following

go to the images, find the 'names_character.xml'
Open it with notepad++ and change the element name from names_character.tex to character.tex

then go to portraits, select character_none.xml open it with notepad++
rename the element from character_none.tex to character_none_oval.tex

Hey thank you for replying! I just saw your comment here and on the mod page itself (yikes late!)!

I went into the modinfo.lua and was wondering if I would have to make it RoG compatible under the DS compatibility since DST has RoG?

I changed the name of those files so that they matched the information on the inside? Like, if I took away the "names" in the file itself, I also changed the name of the file to match suit?

In the mondmain . lua I changed the assets to match the names of the files because I edited them so that they had oval and the other to match the ones without the name in them. Like this:

Asset( "IMAGE", "bigportraits/waximo.tex" ),
Asset( "ATLAS", "bigportraits/waximo.xml" ),

AND

Asset( "IMAGE", "bigportraits/waximo_none_oval.tex" ),
Asset( "ATLAS", "bigportraits/waximo_none_oval.xml" ),

But now I'm getting this error whenever I go to test the mod hhhh:

2016-02-06_00001.jpg

10 hours ago, pbjwb said:

Hey thank you for replying! I just saw your comment here and on the mod page itself (yikes late!)!

I went into the modinfo.lua and was wondering if I would have to make it RoG compatible under the DS compatibility since DST has RoG?

I changed the name of those files so that they matched the information on the inside? Like, if I took away the "names" in the file itself, I also changed the name of the file to match suit?

In the mondmain . lua I changed the assets to match the names of the files because I edited them so that they had oval and the other to match the ones without the name in them. Like this:

Asset( "IMAGE", "bigportraits/waximo.tex" ),
Asset( "ATLAS", "bigportraits/waximo.xml" ),

AND

Asset( "IMAGE", "bigportraits/waximo_none_oval.tex" ),
Asset( "ATLAS", "bigportraits/waximo_none_oval.xml" ),

But now I'm getting this error whenever I go to test the mod hhhh:

don't change anything in the modmain, jeep it as none_waximo and waximo_none_oval. I don't know why, but the assets requires it to be that way.

As for the modinfo, if it is for DST, it will have a Don't Starve Together Compatible, you don't need to say it is compabile with DS and DSRoG, I neveer needed to, so I don't think it is necessary.

On 2/7/2016 at 6:21 AM, halfrose said:

don't change anything in the modmain, jeep it as none_waximo and waximo_none_oval. I don't know why, but the assets requires it to be that way.

As for the modinfo, if it is for DST, it will have a Don't Starve Together Compatible, you don't need to say it is compabile with DS and DSRoG, I neveer needed to, so I don't think it is necessary.

Oh shoot okay!

Well, I went and entirely redid the entire mod, using another mod as a template and he worked! I literally got everything to work! Except the moment it said that it couldn't find the right files for the anim I went and renamed the zips there to the file names I've been using (I switched over to maximo instead of waximo) and now he's just invisible... Haha! I went to use the RenameBuilder tool but I don't really know how I'm supposed to use it, like do I choose the input file it was named as previous and then make the output file the maximo one? It's such a simple interface but I somehow just don't understand it! Thank you so much for the help, by the way, Halfrose!

1 hour ago, pbjwb said:

Oh shoot okay!

Well, I went and entirely redid the entire mod, using another mod as a template and he worked! I literally got everything to work! Except the moment it said that it couldn't find the right files for the anim I went and renamed the zips there to the file names I've been using (I switched over to maximo instead of waximo) and now he's just invisible... Haha! I went to use the RenameBuilder tool but I don't really know how I'm supposed to use it, like do I choose the input file it was named as previous and then make the output file the maximo one? It's such a simple interface but I somehow just don't understand it! Thank you so much for the help, by the way, Halfrose!

I would recommend you to not rename the zip build, just delete the build and recompile the mod, if everything is renamed right, then it should work.

45 minutes ago, halfrose said:

I would recommend you to not rename the zip build, just delete the build and recompile the mod, if everything is renamed right, then it should work.

I checked in all the folders and made sure everything is named properly! How would I compile the mod? I'm sorry I have so many questions aack! Like, what files do I compile into a zip?

17 minutes ago, pbjwb said:

I checked in all the folders and made sure everything is named properly! How would I compile the mod? I'm sorry I have so many questions aack! Like, what files do I compile into a zip?

you just need to run the game and wait for the cmd to do its job but if you did that and it did not work, there is something badly named, which is why I recommend you deleting the character zip in the anim folder and recompiling it.

1 hour ago, halfrose said:

you just need to run the game and wait for the cmd to do its job but if you did that and it did not work, there is something badly named, which is why I recommend you deleting the character zip in the anim folder and recompiling it.

Oh okay! Thank you so much Halfose! I'm working on going through the files and double checking everything! Thanks for the help!