Stealing mods or...

_Q_

• Developer
8 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

I wont the looking on the workshop now and create every mod I need. No one will be able to prove I didnt steal it after all.

Its a good deal to take. You can expect some more similiar mods quite soon.

Well, with this quote, we'd be able to prove it...

The thing here is, I understand you're frustrated and why you are, but the best thing you can do is report the mod for what you think the author did.

Ideas, the more they're repeated, the less liked they become, unless used in a different or unique way.

Your mod was the first one to present the things it brought, was it not? And like Mobbstar said, has more features. I don't see why people would opt for his mod instead of yours.

Then again, it's mostly a matter of preference. Like with his and Fid's menu color changer mods.

22 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Well, with this quote, we'd be able to prove it...

The thing here is, I understand you're frustrated and why you are, but the best thing you can do is report the mod for what you think the author did.

Ideas, the more they're repeated, the less liked they become, unless used in a different or unique way.

Your mod was the first one to present the things it brought, was it not? And like Mobbstar said, has more features. I don't see why people would opt for his mod instead of yours.

Then again, it's mostly a matter of preference. Like with his and Fid's menu color changer mods.

You know there is a mod on workshop its called chest X - Ray or something, I created something like that in the same time more or less but I didn't publish it, now I will.

As mentioned above, this is part of a larger, on-going discussion. Consider the Infiniminer concept, it has been re-created multiple times, occasionally with great innovations. Entire genres of games obviously started out with just one game of that type. The reason copyright exists is to encourage authors to continue to create content that they started, but recently we've also started to consider the increased possibilities of innovations by letting others use ideas and work on them cooperatively and/or competitively. (Keep in mind that this does not include copying someones code/artwork and passing it off as your own without putting much effort yourself.)

3 hours ago, Blueberrys said:

As mentioned above, this is part of a larger, on-going discussion. Consider the Infiniminer concept, it has been re-created multiple times, occasionally with great innovations. Entire genres of games obviously started out with just one game of that type. The reason copyright exists is to encourage authors to continue to create content that they started, but recently we've also started to consider the increased possibilities of innovations by letting others use ideas and work on them cooperatively and/or competitively. (Keep in mind that this does not include copying someones code/artwork and passing it off as your own without putting much effort yourself.)

If he was doinganything new, but all he has is just old version of the mod with stuff I removed ages ago.

So its far from innovation in this area.

Anyway the common sense is first check if mod like that don't exist, if it existask author for features or even to work together to improve the mod, not make other version of it to annoy the hell out of the 1 author.

22 hours ago, Arkathorn said:

But isn't it a poor example? Infiniminer was unprotected, both legally and directly, and was completely ripped from the creator's grasp.

Fair point. It's just the first thing that came to mind for a game with many variations. Better examples would be projects that allow and encourage further contributions such as libgdx, box2d, git, etc. and even moddable games like Don't Starve.

Edit: To clarify, this is about the fact that third parties are able to contribute in some way, not about the licences of the mentioned works.

14 minutes ago, Kzisor said:

Why did you lump Don't Starve in with Open Source projects?

Some people add some NU General Public License to their mods, quite pointless, as its already free to use for anyone and free to edit for anyone mons of the time, as not many mods has all user created art and other assets.

27 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

Some people add some NU General Public License to their mods, quite pointless, as its already free to use for anyone and free to edit for anyone mons of the time, as not many mods has all user created art and other assets.

Would you please elaborate on how this is relevant to what I asked?

4 hours ago, mf99k said:

I feel like this sort of thing happens a lot. I've had this happen with mods as well as art (I had one art piece that had about 150 nearly-identical brothers and sisters.)

My friend has all sort of game related art reposted on Steam all the time, and filling the reports every day is not the thing one wants to do.

Its hard to prove you created something, if you do and then post it on the internet be sure it will be stolen hundreds times.

4 hours ago, _Q_ said:

Maybe cause people seem to treat mods as open source projects.

I still don't see how it is relevant because neither of our posts specifically refer to mods; @Blueberrys post refers to "moddable games"; but even games which has content that can be modified by the public cannot be considered "Open Source" because the engine themselves are closed source.

35 minutes ago, Kzisor said:

even games which has content that can be modified by the public cannot be considered "Open Source" because the engine themselves are closed source.

True, which is why made a distinction there. The point was to portray that allowing others to contribute can be beneficial to everyone, not to discuss the specific licences or how public a work should be.

5 hours ago, _Q_ said:

Maybe cause people seem to treat mods as open source projects.

That is not message I was attempting to convey, apologies if it seemed as such due to the wording.

Archived