Cutlass supreme

the cutlass is balanced. it requires 2 gold every time you make one which could be spend on more useful things like golden tools,birdcage,ice makers,(super)spy glasses, ice boxes, flingomatics, miner hats and most importantly compasses(joke).

so i think the darksword has a place in sw, because i still go full out on swords as the main weapon and don't regret it. a treeguard spawn consists of 3-4 treeguards every time which is quick 18 living logs, pls don't tell me you throw the logs away by fueling your fires with them. It's still one of the best and most accessible weapon in ds.

because people go cutlass 24/7 they complain that they don't find enough gold in thair world for tools or whatever, hmm i wonder where it all went into. I remember that topic by that one wigfrid player who seriously wanted pet pirate parrots who supply you with more gold than wild pirate parrots already leave on jungle turf. It's shocking that players cant adapt and think about thair resource management.

and now there's this topic which seriously asks for a nerf on a weapon that's unnecessary in the first place IMO.

moving it to the shadow manipulator tab doesn't make sense at all, if i make a shadow manipulator and a treeguard pack gives me 18 logs of which i invest 3 on the shadow manipulator, there's no way I'll waste gold for the cutlass when i could just kill some crabs or a few shadow creatures for a darksword instead.

7 hours ago, Kill3r86X said:

the cutlass is balanced. it requires 2 gold every time you make one which could be spend on more useful things like golden tools,birdcage,ice makers,(super)spy glasses, ice boxes, flingomatics, miner hats and most importantly compasses(joke).

so i think the darksword has a place in sw, because i still go full out on swords as the main weapon and don't regret it. a treeguard spawn consists of 3-4 treeguards every time which is quick 18 living logs, pls don't tell me you throw the logs away by fueling your fires with them. It's still one of the best and most accessible weapon in ds.

because people go cutlass 24/7 they complain that they don't find enough gold in thair world for tools or whatever, hmm i wonder where it all went into. I remember that topic by that one wigfrid player who seriously wanted pet pirate parrots who supply you with more gold than wild pirate parrots already leave on jungle turf. It's shocking that players cant adapt and think about thair resource management.

and now there's this topic which seriously asks for a nerf on a weapon that's unnecessary in the first place IMO.

moving it to the shadow manipulator tab doesn't make sense at all, if i make a shadow manipulator and a treeguard pack gives me 18 logs of which i invest 3 on the shadow manipulator, there's no way I'll waste gold for the cutlass when i could just kill some crabs or a few shadow creatures for a darksword instead.

As someone who almost exclusively plays Maxwell and uses the Dark Sword as their main weapon in most worlds, I'm sad to say I've found no use at all for the Dark Sword in Shipwrecked. I have 4 stacks of gold in a chest from farming the slot machine, and have already crafted all the structures that require gold, and I have a spot on my map that constantly spews swordfish every few minutes. There is no reason for me to craft the dark sword when I can craft something that lasts longer, does the same damage, and doesn't negate Maxwell's sanity bonus. I'm on day 170 and haven't bothered to even craft a Shadow Manipulator or gather living log.

37 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

As someone who almost exclusively plays Maxwell and uses the Dark Sword as their main weapon in most worlds, I'm sad to say I've found no use at all for the Dark Sword in Shipwrecked. I have 4 stacks of gold in a chest from farming the slot machine, and have already crafted all the structures that require gold, and I have a spot on my map that constantly spews swordfish every few minutes. There is no reason for me to craft the dark sword when I can craft something that lasts longer, does the same damage, and doesn't negate Maxwell's sanity bonus. I'm on day 170 and haven't bothered to even craft a Shadow Manipulator or gather living log.

dark sword is supposed to be the best weapon :/

1 hour ago, DwerBomb said:

dark sword is supposed to be the best weapon :/

she is .... in ROG XD , why dark sword need to be the best in this 2 different world ? nerf shipwrecked weapon stuff for keep the ROG weapon stuff as the best is just an error , as far as i am concerned.

its also kinda confirmed that the cutlass has a damage bonus for the future hurricane season boss. there exists a prefab called the twister, we don't know how it looks like but there's a damage multiplier for the cutlass on that boss monster.

On 1/23/2016 at 5:39 PM, DwerBomb said:

Less expensive than the dark sword, has no downsides and more uses. Am I missing something or is it unbalanced?

I can carry a stack of living log in cave and make 20 dark swords.

With the Cutlass supreme I can't do that as the fish will rot.

4 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I'm on day 170 and haven't bothered to even craft a Shadow Manipulator or gather living log.

I have given this a bit of thinking too. My conclusion is that if I wana stay in the SW world for say 1000+days, then I am gona have tons of living logs and nightmare fuel sitting in my chest anyway. So I will just use the dark sword as well.

indeed, also just because you got lucky on your slot machine doesn't mean that gold is easy to get a hold of. I've seen people wasting 80 dubloons which are worth more than a stack of gold if you would've crafted them to nuggets and all they got was a few flint, food, nasty mob spawns, and maybe a few gold slot items but in the end that person didn't get his 26 nuggets worth out of the machine.

trawl netting might helps but it only self sustains your need on tools like shovels,machetes and (pick)axes.

3 hours ago, mitboy said:

Cutlass has got twice as much hits.

it's actually 50% more durability so it's the same as the spear. how is this now a argument when i can bring nightmare fuel and living logs and have as much durability as my living logs last? sure you can bring a stack of gold every time on your journeys in sw aswell and make a new cutlass every time you kill a new swordfish. the next advantage over gold is that the logs float on the water (well or atleast they should cant confirm this 100% now), but your gold will sink if you ever get rekt on sea.

also what Mday and i said, you get so many living logs basically for free so why the heck go not darksword and instead waste precious gold on a cutlass?

3 hours ago, ThaumicParrot said:

I think there's a very simple solution to this: Make it do less damage. boom. done. 

the only problem i have with the weapon is that its basically like the wigfrid spear but accessible to all characters. I believe the weapon should have a downside while being used. It could be something similar to the morning star in rog. high damage if a certain criteria is met but low spear like damage if not. I don't think i need to explain how the morning star works.

38 minutes ago, Kill3r86X said:

also what Mday and i said, you get so many living logs basically for free so why the heck go not darksword and instead waste precious gold on a cutlass?

Yes , true , but it require shadow manipulator , cutlass only the alchemy , but i still thinking the cutlass don't really destroy the game experience.

6 hours ago, Kill3r86X said:

indeed, also just because you got lucky on your slot machine doesn't mean that gold is easy to get a hold of. I've seen people wasting 80 dubloons which are worth more than a stack of gold if you would've crafted them to nuggets and all they got was a few flint, food, nasty mob spawns, and maybe a few gold slot items but in the end that person didn't get his 26 nuggets worth out of the machine.

trawl netting might helps but it only self sustains your need on tools like shovels,machetes and (pick)axes.

Even without the slot machine, It's not hard to get a lot of gold in Shipwrecked. Find a good jungle biome and it'll be littered with gold rocks.

I don't know how other people play their game so this is just my opinion.

When I hit the cave/ruin I like to stay there for as long as I can and get as much stuff done as possible. Sometimes that means using 4+ dark swords killing every spider dens down there. I suppose If I bring 2 brand new cutlass supreme (300 use in total) and avoid combat as much as I can, that can last a long while too.

Now, lets say I want to set up some kind of outpost somewhere far and I want to stock a good amount of weapon there. I can bring 2 stack of nightmare fuel and ~1 stack of living log and store at the site in a chest, which can then make into 16 dark swords for a total of 1600 uses. If I wana do this with cutlass I will need to either carry 10 sword fishes and craft 10 cutlass on site (which may be hard to do since fish does rot rather quickly), or carry 10 cutlass with me.

Another thing is that nightmare fuel are all over the place in cave/ruin so I go down there with 5 nightmare fuel and come back to the surface with a full stack.

Back to SW. I think in the early game if I come across a sword fish sure I will craft that into a cuttlass. I can spare 2 gold for a sword so why not? Later when I get some extra living logs I will craft a shadow manipulator and start using dark swords. Normally I get my shadow manipulator as soon as I find enough living logs. That purple gem, isn't that hard to find. I have used both and as far as I can tell I don't think either is difficult to craft in SW.

On the topic of the Cutlass supreme, I believe it either needs a change of how it deals damage, a damage drop, or an increased price. At the moment, it completely tops the Dark Sword.

Price wise, the only difficult part about the Cutlass is obtaining a Sword fish. Once you've done that, get 2 gold, 2 twigs, and you've got yourself a Dark Sword with 50 more swings and no downsides. As for the Dark Sword, the living logs are jokes to get, but mind you, the Nightmare fuel isn't. Normally, it can be farmed very easily in the ruins, but the lack of ruins makes gathering Nightmare fuel quite the chore. You also have other recipes to potentially spend nightmare fuel on and even if you craft the sword, you require the substantially more expensive Shadow Manipulator (When compared to the Alchemy Engine in ease of gathering resources, that is.) For a payoff of the same damage with less swings.

If you ask me, the Cutlass needs to be toned down a bit for how cheap it is compared to the other option of the Dark Sword. If you ask me, I think the best nerf would be making the Cutlass deal the exact same damage as a Tentacle Spike. This would give us a somewhat in between weapon from the Spear and Dark Sword that isn't the Ham Bat and would keep the weapon viable, but not the best. Other possible options for nerfing that I would see would possibly be making Sword Fish more hard to come by, or making the recipe more expensive.

Anywho, that's what I can tell you. In my opinion, the Cutlass does need a bit of nerfing.

18 minutes ago, VeryDead said:

If you ask me, I think the best nerf would be making the Cutlass deal the exact same damage as a Tentacle Spike.

Then it would need double or triple the durability. 200 hits or 300 hits even.( okay, maybe 300 is too much)

I actually like the idea if it does have more durability than the tentacle.

I farm nightmare fuel naturally. I just kill every shadow creatures that appears when I am insane. Nightmare fuel isn't an issue to me.

Similarly as OP as banana pop goes, it doesn't affect my game much. I stay near insane most of the time anyway and I like it.

1 hour ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Even without the slot machine, It's not hard to get a lot of gold in Shipwrecked. Find a good jungle biome and it'll be littered with gold rocks.

yes gold is available in high quantities, but i'm talking about renewable ways and not your 3-4 islands where you could get 4 stacks spare gold nuggets after you've crafted the most vital parts of your base (science, alcamy, lightning rod, ice maker, endo firepit, icebox, etc).

many of those structures you could craft multiple times too depending on how big you want to go on your base.

for long term survival the generated gold from gold boulders and magma piles wont last you very long if you waste 2 nuggets every 3 days on a new cutlass. It's also up to your play style but if you beat a lot of mobs for monstermeat you're using up durability very quickly.

1 hour ago, VeryDead said:

Other possible options for nerfing that I would see would possibly be making Sword Fish more hard to come by, or making the recipe more expensive.

Anywho, that's what I can tell you. In my opinion, the Cutlass does need a bit of nerfing.

this is a nice idea too. think of the batbat where you had to farm 5 bat wings to make it. why not make the cutlass require multiple swordfishs? people said they respawn every day and its a 100% drop. for the batbat you could kill all bats of a cave entrance and get nothing but some useless monstermeat or guano. and that all for a weapon that does spear like damage and reduces your sanity for a little bit of healing. healing is not a big issue in ds so the batbat was pretty much useless.

i think the swordfish loot could get divided too. make it drop either fishmorsels or its head part which you could use for the cutlass and make it require multiple of those.

1 hour ago, grekon said:

Then it would need double or triple the durability. 200 hits or 300 hits even.( okay, maybe 300 is too much)

I actually like the idea if it does have more durability than the tentacle.

no, it wont. the tentacle spike only had 100 hits like the darksword so why does the cutlass now require 200? giving it 150 hits is already far too generous from the devs.

1 hour ago, Mday said:

I farm nightmare fuel naturally. I just kill every shadow creatures that appears when I am insane. Nightmare fuel isn't an issue to me.

Similarly as OP as banana pop goes, it doesn't affect my game much. I stay near insane most of the time anyway and I like it.

I agree. even as wes it's no problem to fight shadows and sanity is so easily manageable with the pirate hat and surf n turf that it's not hard to get out of dangerous situations. the cutlass is just more convenient to make and that's why people prefer it over the darksword.

Archived