An Idea for the Werebeaver

Beavers are aquatic mammals, so wouldn't it make sense for the werebeaver to swim in open water? When I first started the shipwreck dlc I got excited when the full moon game thinking I could go swimming like beavers do, but was disappointed to find I still couldn't set foot in water. Basically I'm wondering if this is an oversight or is this is intended for balance reasons. In theory if Woodie ends up transforming on a boat the werebeaver would fall off the boat which couldn't support his weight and then swim from there, and if the curse ends while at sea it would either result in death right there or respawning on shore ala life jacket. 

Also now that I think about it what happens when Woodie transforms while on a boat in the current state? 

On 20.1.2016 at 3:39 PM, Cyaneye42 said:

Also now that I think about it what happens when Woodie transforms while on a boat in the current state? 

He falls off the boat and drowns like a block of cement. Was one of my first SW runs back in December when dry season was ridiculous.

Day 74, last intense wave of bombardement, trying my hardest to dodge all meteors, turn into werebeaver, drown. R.I.P.

Just linking to a separate thread requesting the same thing. In that one I suggested being able to craft a lodge or dam only while as a werebeaver after consuming enough logs, these being aquatic structures, of course. 

Other interesting points are that the log meter could deplete at different rates in water to either encourage or dissuade swimming while cursed. Furthermore if woodie reverts form while in water then potentially he would wake up on shore with enough materials for a log raft like a life jacket. At the very least since he was a beaver it makes sense that he would be surrounded by so many logs, bonus points for having Lucy sing a siren song while you go out to retrieve her in the ocean

Even if they don't give the beaver the ability to swim they should at least make him respawn instead of drowning. Also maybe to balance it more Woodie could have high wetness when waking up after swimming or falling into the water as a beaver.

I support the notion of giving Woodie the ability to swim as a werebeaver, my favourite suggestion so far is to let him swim only in shallow water. Swimming short distances while being unable to equip a life jacket in a completely woodless area seems like enough of a risk to not be overpowered. It would go really well with his powerful but somewhat limited playstyle. Honestly I mostly just want to see a pudgy beaver in overalls jump into the water and then stick out just his head while swimming around :-D

Archived