22 Islands and still nothing

So I have explored 22 Islands... And there is still no sign of the important objects: Shark Den, Wooden thing, Yaarctopus, Slot Machine. NOT EVEN ONE!

Is there an effective way to explore the map late game? All I am doing is using cargo boat with snake sail.

2016-01-17_00001.jpg

I'd recommend you use the Cloth Sail with an Armoured Boat. That is the most optimal way to sail with regards to sail speed and durability currently. If you look at the code (under Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve\data\DLC0002\scripts\tuning.lua), you'll see the following lines:

Spoiler

CARGOBOAT_HEALTH = 300,
CARGOBOAT_PERISHTIME = total_day_time*3,
CARGOBOAT_SANITY_DRAIN = 0,-- -0.08,
CARGOBOAT_SPEED = 5,
CARGOBOAT_LEAKING_HEALTH = 40,

ARMOUREDBOAT_HEALTH = 500,
ARMOUREDBOAT_PERISHTIME = total_day_time*4,
ARMOUREDBOAT_SANITY_DRAIN = 0,-- -0.08,
ARMOUREDBOAT_SPEED = 6,

SAIL_SPEED_MULT = 1.2,
SAIL_PERISH_TIME = total_day_time*2,

CLOTH_SAIL_SPEED_MULT = 1.3,
CLOTH_SAIL_PERISH_TIME = total_day_time*3,

SNAKESKIN_SAIL_SPEED_MULT = 1.25,
SNAKESKIN_SAIL_PERISH_TIME = total_day_time*4,

With regards to further exploring the map, try what Hoverhook mentioned above with the Spyglass. Do note that the spyglass is more effective in the morning. Also sail by cutting through the center of the remaining Fog Of War across its longest dimension. On your map you have 3 huge chunks of unexplored areas, they are most likely in somewhere in there.

Good luck, cheers.

i would suggest fully exploring beach biomes for the shark den? Also having a faster boat and better sail would probably help you along. An armored boat and feather lite sail (if you can make one) or cloth sail.

If you ever decide to start up a new world here's what i would suggest you do early: Explore as much as you possibly can within the first 10-15 days and leave the following days of calm season to build up your base. With the addition of crates and it giving us boards, i like building up at least a row boat when i get the gold to make a science machine and if you can, a thatch sail. When sailing to different islands for resources always try to pass through areas that you haven't before even if it means going all the way around  Almost every season is okay for exploring so there's never not enough time. If you can manage, always have a chiminea or the materials with you so that if you're exploring during hurricane season you can place one down (and maybe even make a mini base on each island!). During monsoon season i would suggest exploring during the early days of the season. And dry season almost encourages you to get the hell off your own island and explore.

Don't get too worked up about not finding those things! With enough time you'll find it. Shipwrecked is all about exploring so take your time! (:

29 minutes ago, Urfable said:

i would suggest fully exploring beach biomes for the shark den? Also having a faster boat and better sail would probably help you along. An armored boat and feather lite sail (if you can make one) or cloth sail.

If you ever decide to start up a new world here's what i would suggest you do early: Explore as much as you possibly can within the first 10-15 days and leave the following days of calm season to build up your base. With the addition of crates and it giving us boards, i like building up at least a row boat when i get the gold to make a science machine and if you can, a thatch sail. When sailing to different islands for resources always try to pass through areas that you haven't before even if it means going all the way around  Almost every season is okay for exploring so there's never not enough time. If you can manage, always have a chiminea or the materials with you so that if you're exploring during hurricane season you can place one down (and maybe even make a mini base on each island!). During monsoon season i would suggest exploring during the early days of the season. And dry season almost encourages you to get the hell off your own island and explore.

Don't get too worked up about not finding those things! With enough time you'll find it. Shipwrecked is all about exploring so take your time! (:

I don't have any problem finding islands at the beginning or starting new worlds, its just that I invested so much time to explore the world and I still can't find anything useful.

On average I would say a world has about 25 islands. I have already found 22 and its a pain to be looking for the few that I haven't found yet. Not to mention that I will have to uncover the whole map to find yaarctopus and wooden thing. They are just so random, no idea where they spawn.

13 minutes ago, grekon said:

I can't use spyglasses on the boat, which makes them useless when I want find a few islands in some corners of the world. 

the spyglasses are supposed to be used on the boat though. I think there was a bug where having a light equipped on the boat stopped the player from using them, so try that?

6 hours ago, Zillvr said:

@grekon currently the spyglasses are wonky on a boat, but to use them you pick it up with your cursor then right click towards a direction. Cheers.

I believe Spyglasses have issues working on boats only when there are attachments (Lanterns, sails, etc). If you take them off it works fine on boat.

Archived