21 minutes ago, KitcheVadimas said:

You'd have to play on a dedicated server; one with caves set up.

Yes, you need 2 servers, one for surface and the other for caves, the caves and ruins are the same now, try it, the dedicated server is more stable and the caves are quite fun with friends, you only need to download the steam tool and modify some files, even the files modification is optional, you can setup and start everything in default with 2 clicks

On 17. 1. 2016 at 8:01 PM, Rily said:

Yes, you need 2 servers, one for surface and the other for caves, the caves and ruins are the same now, try it, the dedicated server is more stable and the caves are quite fun with friends, you only need to download the steam tool and modify some files, even the files modification is optional, you can setup and start everything in default with 2 clicks

Where can I find a tutorial for this? I've been out of Don't Starve for a while now and now that a lot of things were added to DST I and my better half want to try it again. I'd like caves but reading all this about dedicated servers and changing some files got me a bit confused. Where can one find some detailed explanation, how to start a server and also have caves in the game?

6 hours ago, RudeBoyTom said:

Where can I find a tutorial for this? I've been out of Don't Starve for a while now and now that a lot of things were added to DST I and my better half want to try it again. I'd like caves but reading all this about dedicated servers and changing some files got me a bit confused. Where can one find some detailed explanation, how to start a server and also have caves in the game?

in the forums you can find everything you need, if not try asking

I already found this guide. What confused the guano out of me was the fact I also found another topic called "[GUIDE] How to setup dedicated server cave on Windows Server" which is newer than the one you posted above but it's way more complicated. Which method should I use? Than there's instructions on Wiki but it says there it's outdated which brings even more to the general confusion which other guides are also outdated.

I thought caves were already part of DST without the need to mess with servers and stuff.

The first method, the easy one, is there a way to change World settings? By the looks of it you can only change server settings but not World settings. Or am I missing something?

7 hours ago, RudeBoyTom said:

I already found this guide. What confused the guano out of me was the fact I also found another topic called "[GUIDE] How to setup dedicated server cave on Windows Server" which is newer than the one you posted above but it's way more complicated. Which method should I use? Than there's instructions on Wiki but it says there it's outdated which brings even more to the general confusion which other guides are also outdated.

I thought caves were already part of DST without the need to mess with servers and stuff.

The first method, the easy one, is there a way to change World settings? By the looks of it you can only change server settings but not World settings. Or am I missing something?

Windows Server is a whole other operating system which you definitely don't have, so don't pay attention to that. Caves will soontm be implemented into the in-game host game menu, but do not work there quite yet.

let me just copy-paste what I wrote in another thread:

caves are only working on dedicated servers at the moment. To get a working caves server, the easiest way is to do the following:

1: download the DST server tool, in the tools section of your steam library

2: double click the tool to open it, select preconfigured

3: wait a couple minutes; after everything is done loading, you should see 2 black and white command line windows named 'overworld' and 'caves.'

4: open the game and play. You join the server via the browse games button. If your friend is not on the same network as you, you will need to port forward:

Reveal hidden contents

Open Chrome/web browser of choice, put 192.168.1.1 in the URL box (if this doesn't work, start menu, search cmd, open result, type ipconfig into box, find default gateway. Also make sure you aren't google searching the address), name/password is probably admin/admin, or admin/password, then go applications and gaming tab, then put port 10999 in both port boxes in one row, protocol is both, put in your computer's personal ip address as the address to forward to (same ipconfig menu, find ipv4 address), then enable it. People can now connect to your computer!

5: recommended: once your friend and you are both on the server, press ~ and enter "c_regenerateworld()" to regen the world and restart it to day 1, since this might have taken a little while to set up.

6: to close the server, leave the game, then type "c_shutdown()" into both of the command line window

to change world settings, you will need a worldgenoverride.lua file in your dedicated server directory. Don't ask me how to do that though.

Archived