Meteor shower penalty

just died to a wave created by meteor shower, and I'm ok with that

I suppose I wasn't prepared enough, BUT, when I resurrected from my

meat effigy, the shower was still going and decided to rain upon my base.

This is just my opinion, shouldn't the meteor stop once I was killed? Since

that is already one form of punishment, I feel a slightly being cheated on

when my base was destroyed as well. I mean I should definitely git gud

but I'd like to know what the forum community thinks of this scenario.

Did I deserve to lose my base even when I only voyage out into the ocean

just to avoid that particular outcome?

That doesn't sound fair, that's true. I hope they'll change this.

Also, I hope they'll change how hail damages the character. Whenever I try to pick up ice during hurricane season I lose from 1 to 25 hp because reasons. When your character has 80 hp, well... You feel it.

The meteor shower is a seasonal thing and should keep going for the duration it was supposed to not when you die. You need to plan ahead for such situations.

Simply putting the meat effigy away from your base would solve that problem. So it is kinda your fault.

The meteor shower is a seasonal thing and should keep going for the duration it was supposed to not when you die. You need to plan ahead for such situations.

Simply putting the meat effigy away from your base would solve that problem. So it is kinda your fault.

Why would one do that though? When you resurrect, you have no resource, so it's counter-intuitive to do such thing as putting meat effigy away. In addition to that, my character was still displaying the resurrect animation, ego he can't move, while I just watch shower continues to destroy my base. In Don't Starve, for every con there should be a counter, not by player's wits but by an option provided in the game so that player can be rewarded for making right choices, and having your character does nothing but displaying respawning animation is not an option/choice. Like you said, I should prepare ahead next time, but I feel this is something that shouldn't be in the end game once it's out of beta

Why would one do that though? When you resurrect, you have no resource, so it's counter-intuitive to do such thing as putting meat effigy away. In addition to that, my character was still displaying the resurrect animation, ego he can't move, while I just watch shower continues to destroy my base. In Don't Starve, for every con there should be a counter, not by player's wits but by an option provided in the game so that player can be rewarded for making right choices, and having your character does nothing but displaying respawning animation is not an option/choice. Like you said, I should prepare ahead next time, but I feel this is something that shouldn't be in the end game once it's out of beta

I like to keep my meat effigy a few screens away from my base. That way, if I'm killed IN my base, I don't insta-die on resurrection, but if I need to get to my base, I probably won't die of overheating before I do. This might help in a volcanic shower, too. I'm not totally sure how many screens away from the player crap gets blown up though. And if you're on a tiny island, you're screwed. But if you're on a big one it may help.

Personally, i don't do a lot of sea traveling during dry season and no matter the season, whenever i go anywhere or do anything on a boat i make sure to have a life jacket + boat repair kit (or even 2). I don't entirely disagree with putting a meat effigy away from your base. Similar to what i do for touchstones, i would just make a chest (especially if there's monkeys around) and put in a few things that i would need to get off the island. You could also have a boat/sail ready near that island to just grab your materials, hop on the boat and go. Don't starve is really just how much experience you have and how far you Want to think ahead. It might seem like you're over prepared but as I've learned many times, you can never be too prepared. Having said that though, i do think the meteors should stop for a bit after death.

I just gotta ask... If you get revived by a Touch Stone in the regular game during winter and immediately freeze to death, is it unfair? Should the winter stop just because you died? This situation with the volcano I think is a pretty straightforward parallel.

Why would one do that though? When you resurrect, you have no resource, so it's counter-intuitive to do such thing as putting meat effigy away.

The answer is in your OP and my previous post.

In Don't Starve, for every con there should be a counter, not by player's wits but by an option provided in the game so that player can be rewarded for making right choices

Its survival game. No wit's means bad game. And seriously setting up a meat effigy away from your base doesn't require wits.

having your character does nothing but displaying respawning animation is not an option/choice.

You had a choice. Build a meat effigy or not. How the meat effigy works is another thing. Its like saying that after you shoot with a gun you should be able to choose where the bullet goes.

Why would one do that though?

It is a common practice really.

If you happen to get assaulted in your base and you absolutely must fight right there (such as during the night) you don't want your effigies nearby since they can get destroyed by Red Hounds or Giants.

Likewise, if you get killed by a Giant you definitely don't want them to track you back to your base and wreck it.

Just put a small camp with some wood, fire pits and basic gear near your effigy camp just like you would do with touchstones.

I personally build a camp near the touchstone that I find and if it happens to get broken, I just build an effigy in its place.

I just gotta ask... If you get revived by a Touch Stone in the regular game during winter and immediately freeze to death, is it unfair? Should the winter stop just because you died? This situation with the volcano I think is a pretty straightforward parallel.

Fair enough, but assuming that Touchstone skips a day i would expect the meteor shower would stop, but I can't remember whether meat effigy does the same or not. In terms of seasonal ambiance, meteor and winter aren't exactly parallel but your point is fair and well taken.

The answer is in your OP and my previous post.

Its survival game. No wit's means bad game. And seriously setting up a meat effigy away from your base doesn't require wits.

You had a choice. Build a meat effigy or not. How the meat effigy works is another thing. Its like saying that after you shoot with a gun you should be able to choose where the bullet goes.

that is also a fair point. about 2nd and 3rd response I was actually referring to the same point, not being able to do anything while character just freezes there feels odd, but I guess I'm over it. live and learn, at least the game didn't end right there for me.

I don't think that's a completely fair comparison given the situation that OP was describing. If winter had the ability to completely obliterate your base, then yes, it's a completely fair comparison. I don't think the problem was death after reviving because of the weather, but instead the problem was their base being destroyed in a situation that was not completely in their control, though i agree better preparations could've been made.

Archived