Suggestion: Swimming in the Shallows.

I think it would be neat if our characters could swim in the shallow areas, but you would of course get drenched and cold after a while, and you would gradually get too tired to swim, and if you swim out to the deep you would risk getting pulled out by currents like in real life. I can't imagine it would be that hard to implement, allow the character to move on the water tiles, make sprites that cut the character in half so you only see the upper body and create new animations.

Another thing that could be cool could be snorkeling. Swimming down to mussels to harvest them for example.

And in order to avoid the sanity loss of being wet you could craft an oldfashioned swimsuit that would avoid the wetness penalty as long as you remain in the water, when you get out of the water you would need to get dry quick.

Anyone else interested in seeing this added to the game? Maybe with some old fashioned swimsuits to craft? :wilson_laugh:

I think it would be neat if our characters could swim in the shallow areas, but you would of course get drenched and cold after a while, and you would gradually get too tired to swim.

Anyone else interested in seeing this added to the game? Maybe with some old fashioned swimsuits to craft? :wilson_laugh:

I think so too. I think we need a really cheap way to travel between islands that costs high health and/or sanity. Just to give people a fighting chance when they spawn or revive in an island with no resources.

There are a couple of topics in this forum where people get trapped because there's no flint and no way to build the lowest tier raft.

I think it would be neat if our characters could swim in the shallow areas, but you would of course get drenched and cold after a while, and you would gradually get too tired to swim.

It also becomes a problem because I've seen on Reddit that people have died because their boat ran out of durbability as they jumped out on land when they were in like technically knee deep water. The very very light blue water should be wadable in my opinion.

There are a couple of topics in this forum where people get trapped because there's no flint and no way to build the lowest tier raft.

Maybe the lowest tier raft should be made of twigs instead of log (but using more twigs maybe ?)

This way, you could build it even without flint, solving the problem.

It does seem a bit strange that not a single one of the characters can swim, nor can they wade through water that looks like it's only a few feet deep.

What I would do is make it possible to swim/wade through the very shallowest water, but this would put you at 100% Wetness in seconds and extinguish torches, as well as making you vulnerable to any aquatic monsters (jellyfish, for instance) you ran into. The sanity penalties for wearing soaked equipment and the detrimental effects of sogginess on your food and fuel, considering how long it takes to dry off from 100% wetness, would be a pretty good way to communicate to the player that this is a last resort and a terrible idea if you have any better options.

Another thing that could be cool could be snorkeling. Swimming down to mussels to harvest them for example.

And in order to avoid the sanity loss of being wet you could craft an oldfashioned swimsuit that would avoid the wetness penalty as long as you remain in the water, when you get out of the water you would need to get dry quick.

one thing that really makes no sense it's that on shallow waters with ox(es?) you can clearly see that the water is some feet tall, but when the caracter falls on it, it's like they felt on the deepest ocean. I think the character could walk or swim on shallow water with the penalty of getting maximum wetness, maybe a suit to counter this also would be apropiated, although I don't think that this should be abusive since ships still a thing

If anything you should gain Sanity when swimming, since its kind of a thing one would do for enjoyment in civilized life. Maybe when you get "out" of the water you're half full on the wetness meter and have a short immunity to its sanity draining effects, which really only apply if you're wearing clothes or holding items. Still. One would imagine you'd also be defenseless to any ocean threats, it's hard to stay afloat and swing a spear at incoming attackers, and clearly we're working from the perspective that none of the characters know how to swim in the first place, so they'd probably need like a rubber tube or something to swim.

I think so too. I think we need a really cheap way to travel between islands that costs high health and/or sanity. Just to give people a fighting chance when they spawn or revive in an island with no resources.

I agree. I just had the situation where my boat sank and I respawned via touchstone on this island that literally had no resources. I collected everything on the island and couldn't craft even a torch or a single tool. There I waited out my death. Right across the mangroves there was an island that had the supplies I'd need to build a boat. :(

Though, I am not sure how difficult this would be to add into the game though just to be able to swim a short distance in shallows.

Maybe the lowest tier raft should be made of twigs instead of log (but using more twigs maybe ?)

This way, you could build it even without flint, solving the problem.

In a semi-realistic sense, twigs wouldn't make sense for the lowest tier of raft. Sure, they're probably buoyant, but the second Wilson or anyone else climbs on them in water, you know what would happen? Snap... 

Something as light as twigs just isn't meant to support an average person's body weight, let alone someone with likely +100 lbs in body weight.

Also, keep mind that in realistic buoyancy, logs do actually float in most cases.

I think swimming in shallow waters with no sanity drain should be a perk restricted to one character. Conversely, there should be a character who can't swim/is afraid of the water and risks a higher sanity drain if they are in wade-able waters.

If anything you should gain Sanity when swimming, since its kind of a thing one would do for enjoyment in civilized life. Maybe when you get "out" of the water you're half full on the wetness meter and have a short immunity to its sanity draining effects, which really only apply if you're wearing clothes or holding items. Still. One would imagine you'd also be defenseless to any ocean threats, it's hard to stay afloat and swing a spear at incoming attackers, and clearly we're working from the perspective that none of the characters know how to swim in the first place, so they'd probably need like a rubber tube or something to swim.

It's one thing to enjoy swimming in a leisurely situation, but quite another when you're swimming for survival, in your clothes, with nothing to dry you and possible monsoon winds blowing through. I think sanity should still be dropped during swimming unless you have a bathing suit on.

Archived