[ShipWrecked] Early-Access balance topic .

1v0

Just my 2 cents on the balancing:

Poison:

Absolutely no problem. Like some other person said before me, this seems to be the winter equivalent of DS, hard at first, no problem after that. On my current game, day 42, I haven't been poisoned a single time and have 2 anti-venoms, one in my base and one in my cargo boat. Just build a Seashell Suit and you are fine. I think seashells are a finite resource? That is fine aswell, since by the time your suit gets destroyed, you should have learned how to avoid poison...

Apes:

I don't see any use in them. They are just so goddamn annoying that I just kill them all when I want to build a base on an island with monkey on them.

Ice/Hail:

Meatballs are ridiculously easy to make. Maybe exclude ice/hail from crockpot recipes, unless for banana popsicles etc., where you really need ice. Once you build the Ice Maker 3000 and have spiders/snakes on your island, you won't ever be hungry again.

Limpets:

I think the only time I went fishing was on my very first SW run. Even then i thought it's a waste of resources, comparing to limpets. Either change their count of fish to 0.5 or increase their respawn time significantly, they could be like a "last resort" for Surf'n'turfs to heal/hunger/sanity up after a near death experience.

Captain hat:

What does it do?

If I think of more, I will edit this post.

Seashell armor have a crazy good durability, as well as obsidian items. I'm sure it's gonna be nerfed.

I'm impressed they released a waterproof (and windproof) firepit! Before it was possible only through mods. Not a surprise, tho, there is two seasons of daily rains.

Water hounds in the second year are a freaking scary thing and even more so during meteor fall in second summer season. 

Unless I am mistaken you don't know when water hounds come and a good way to save yourself is go on land if you are surprised by an attack. However during a meteor season it is not so much an option as escaping meteors on land is a lot more dangerous, destroy the island you are on and may smash your boat to pieces.

Basically if you are unlucky when water hounds show up and you don't escape the first attack then you might find yourself stunlocked to death. You cannot outrun them either, I guess it would be problematic otherwise but that makes fighting them really really dangerous unless cheasing them on land. Maybe if there was some kind of natural predator like the many one existing on land it will be more manageable.

1- There are too many monkeys, and too many monkey houses( if you destroy you can get some poop and some angry apes) In an island It is impossible to loot with sooo many apes following you.

2- Pigman: I play in the most times with webber and I find the pigman attack/combo a little inconsistent. The AI of the attack seems to be like the clockwork rook, but it's, most of the times, go the opposite way you are!!

3- Volcano meteor rain- All people in this forum are complaining about this, I make sure they will nerf this ASAP.

4- Crockpot recipes- Some crockpot recipes are very op and easy to make, like surf n' turf, with 1 monster meat and 3 cooked limpets you can recover 30 sanity (I think) and 60 health.

5- Winter/hailstorm season is too easy to handdle in comparison with the winter of the DS.

Venom mechanics Its ok, and the waves are ok

I like the APES as is, population wise. You want to clear an island of them? Easy enough. They are pretty benevolent. BUt there does seem to be an odd sanity bug with them where you drop from 150 to nearly 0 instantly with poop throws. Not sure that was intended.

Waves are great.

Crockpot recipes are too easy.

Volcano... I like a challenge but this one is just... too mindless for me. Too gamey. WHile I am OK with serious challenge, this one is not creative or interesting, it is below KLEI standards.

Palmtreeguards. I don't get them. Are they really tough or is there a trick to them I am not understanding?

Yeah, winter/hail season is too easy. Make the wind *really* shove things! But other than that I don't know. It's just a ho-hum season.

Venom is OK with me as is. So easy to avoid. Please don't nerf poison.

Flare, there is a point where there are too many  monkeys. It's not hard, there is just tons of them.

There is a point where there are too many monkeys. I'm just re-quoting that because it sounds so awesome XD

I dread to think what you stumbled into...

Monkeys:

Annoying at first but their pickup animation is slow so you can get most items before them. The only thing that pissed me off is that you are forced to have chest if you want to build anywhere close (because they wander far) and cutting wood to have logs is a lot longer since you can't pickup 3-4 items dropping at once before them. Maybe reduce the number by 1 or reduce the range they follow you or wander around.

What I want to know is... where on earth are the monkeys putting all the items they steal?! Maybe should limit it to 1-2 items per monkey (and perhaps they can swap out for more 'interesting' objects like food). Or make it so the monkeys won't come right under your feet to pick up stuff the moment you've mined/chopped a multi-drop item. But then I suppose you wouldn't have much reason to attack them and suffer the poop throwing :)

Idea for the volcano that everyone seems to hate - I haven't encountered it yet and can't say I'm looking forward to it, but the general idea seems interesting enough...

I take it there is no warning for the eruptions which would allow you to grab some survival gear and head off for the duration to save your base. Like the arrival of the bosses in RoG which are always preceded by the growl warning. I would suggest to Klei that the eruptions have a similar warning effect - maybe earthquakes! Also in real life, animals often sense impending eruptions and flee - mass movement of snakes would be an interesting effect! (Not that they have anywhere to go...)

Actually on reflection, Klei please do NOT add mass migrations of snakes to the volcano season. Everybody will hate and shun me forever.

Volcano Season does need some rework, but I hope they keep the theme the same. I just think the timing of the meteors is way too tight. Not being able to do anything productive at your base is kinda frustrating. Maybe just remove the Season completely and make the volcano go active on rare times. Or maybe add a structure that can defend your base from the rocks, like a turret. Also they should add rewards from the fallen rocks.

And another thing. I think its kinda a high time to be able to craft ranged weapons that don't require a headache to accomplish. Speargun is great, but the materials are rather annoying to gather. First you gotta look for Seashells that sometimes just doesn't want to spawn. Then 3x bamboo from nodes that only give one. And lastly Jellyfish that need to be catch with an item that requires bamboo and ropes, and the Jellyfish will fill your space pretty fast AND you still need to craft the Spearguns before they die. 

All in all its just way too much of an adventure. Especially since there are a lot of creatures that are preferable to attack with a ranged weapon. Maybe add a cheaper version of a ranged weapon, just enough that its not migraine inducing work. Though I know it must be hard to balance it, since ranged combat is always heavily in favor of the player.

What I want to know is... where on earth are the monkeys putting all the items they steal?! Maybe should limit it to 1-2 items per monkey (and perhaps they can swap out for more 'interesting' objects like food). Or make it so the monkeys won't come right under your feet to pick up stuff the moment you've mined/chopped a multi-drop item. But then I suppose you wouldn't have much reason to attack them and suffer the poop throwing :-)

With at least 4 monkeys you can loot with less worry because their animation are slow. More than that it is impossible.

They can also make the monkeys easier to kill, so you can get your itens back. It's like impossible to kill monkeys without a ranged weapon, they can easily outrun you...

It's like impossible to kill monkeys without a ranged weapon, they can easily outrun you...

Not to mention there evade AI makes it extremely hard to even try cornering them, So yeah impossible without ranged weapons. They even pick up traps. For instance when setting a tooth trap, they'll pick it up which will make it go off once damaging (Not kill them) them once. You have to kill them to get your tooth trap back. Bee mines are a hit and miss. Sometimes they'll go off in time other times they manage to pick them up without setting them off.

After going an year here's my opinion on stuff

1. Storm season needs to drop less hail bcz as it is right now meatballs are exetremly easy to farm in storm season you can litteraly stay in base for the duration of the whole season bcz of the hail drop and the snakes spawn timer. In conclusion remove hail from meatballs recipes.

2. Snake spawn timers, this is by far the most unbalanced thing atm, if ur camp set up is close to the jungle biom you are set for life there :D atleast 4-5-6 MM every night, my opinion snake timers need to go up maybe spawning 3 snakes every 4-5 days. Also they drop too much skin make the % go lower.

3. Prime Apes, they fkin run too fast make them slower so we can kill them with melee weapons :D, but for real its extremly hard to farm them if you dont make them fight each other, it is nearly impossible to corner them so you can kill them with melee weapon they are like the SW version of Houdini. 

4. Pigs/boars/whatevertheyarecalled we need more of them.

5. A way to effectively renew Gold/Flint (the dubloons **** doesnt work for a whole year i managed to get only 38 dubloons wich is exactly 12 gold nuggets, not enough)

6. Volcano season, atleast 2 day warning of incoming meteor shower also as it is right now i cant tell if it is my stomach making the sound bcz of low hunger or it is the volcano warning me for an incoming eruption.

7. Water robots or whatever they are called, their attack is stupid, they dont have melee attack and their normal attack range isnt working in close combat. Making it extremly easy fo kill them. Make them stronger :D

8. Boat cannon, as it is right now u need to stop before shooting the cannon wich is kind of bad to do when there are 6-7 water hounds chasing you.

This is for now, i cant recall more problems, sorry for my bad english and stupid punctuation i dont know the english punctuation rules :D

Archived