Best Strategies to Survive the Ruins

Does anyone have a good strategy for surviving the ruins? When I find them I am usually unable to explore them because I am running around trying to avoid all the monsters until one of them kills me and I'd kind of like to explore and find things down there. 

As for the nightmare phase...

• Run faster (miner hat + cane)
  • Run smarter
  • Search out an area far from nightmare lights to hide at
  • Just tank it like a good Wigfrid would
  • Bushat

As for the spider droppers, you can actually dodge their nests by walking along the ledges. This is only really useful in the labyrinth, though you rarely have to walk across anyways.

As for the worms, don't bother, just don't stay in the ruins for fun or they'll pile up on your doorstep.

As for the clockworks, listen for their noises when traversing the armoury or sacred grounds. If you stop often enough, you can hear them sleep before walking into their aggravation range.

As for the splumonkeys, if they bother you enough to kill you, then you are doing something wrong.

Moggles, walking cane, stack of honey/jerky, stack of healing salve, log suit and tentacle spikes... that's the basic equipment I use

I also try to always have a tent ready to be set in case of my health/sanity drops too fast - or to get rid of the friendly rock lobsters in a quick way!

And i find very useful to place a sign in each of the cracks where the nightmares spawn, helps walking with safety and farm nightmare fuel

And i find very useful to place a sign in each of the cracks where the nightmares spawn, helps walking with safety and farm nightmare fuel

Yep ^^

Also, try bringing along some pine cones... you never know where you might end up making a small camp, so remember, chop the pine tree at its biggest then dig out the stump. 1 full sized tree = 4 logs = 1 sign O__O 

Typically, I find the the little square section (with one statue in the middle) which separates two biomes to generally be a safe place to make a camp.  Might suggest setting up there to have a safe place to organize supplies, sleep, make food, etc.

If you are staying down there for awhile you could build some pig/bunny houses and then "hire" them to hang around camp with you and boost sanity.  They can also help with fighting clockworks and supply food.  

A birdcage is great as well for converting monster meat and making edible food.  

Not sure how long you plan on staying down there but if you'd like to fully loot the place you'll need to have some kind of camp in order to save time venturing to the surface repeatedly.  

Archived