AddPrefabPostInit nil during world creation?

Hoping a dev or an enlightened modder could make my life easier.

I have this code:

local function doextend()local basic_AddPrefabPostInit = assert( modenv.AddPrefabPostInit )local late_AddPrefabPostInit = nil local function AddPrefabPostInit(prefab, fn)  if TheMod:IsRunning() then    return basic_AddPrefabPostInit(prefab, fn)  else    if late_AddPrefabPostInit == nil then      late_AddPrefabPostInit = assert( MakeLateAddPrefabPostInit() )    end    return late_AddPrefabPostInit(prefab, fn)  endend TheMod:EmbedHook("PrefabPostInit", AddPrefabPostInit)end

which is part of Wicker made by simplex.

The problem is that in DST, when creating the world, it isn't able to do anything with AddPrefabPostInit. Without exploring this in great detail, it seems somewhere along the line, post inits were broken during worldgen (or something).

The issue shines here the most:

TheMod:AddPrefabPostInit("world", function()  logic_implication(IsDedicated(), IsServer(), "dedicated -> server")  logic_equivalence(IsServer(), not IsClient(), "server <-> not client")end)

If anybody has at least an explanation, or could steer me towards solving this problem, you'd make my life significantly easier (and push U&A one step closer towards DST compatibility!) It's preferable to crawling over every inch of relevant DST code.

Edited by debugman18

The list of available code in the world generation of DST has changed significantly. You should use modmain when you wanting to modify instances of items. World generation is specifically for world generation.

For more information look at modutil.lua.

Regards,

Kzisor/Ysovuka

Edited by Kzisor

The list of available code in the world generation of DST has changed significantly. You should use modmain when you wanting to modify instances of items. World generation is specifically for world generation.

For more information look at modutil.lua.

Regards,

Kzisor/Ysovuka

:razz:

It's way more complicated than just using modmain instead of what's being done now. I mean, have you seen the code for Up and Away? You're basically suggesting I remove Wicker from Up and Away (which would require an incredible [read: improbable] amount of refactoring, to put it lightly) or refactor a sizable chunk of Wicker (which is just as awful, considering I had no part in its inception and creation.)

Here's the entire code for assumptions.lua, just a piece of the puzzle that is Wicker:

local Lambda = wickerrequire "paradigms.functional"local Logic = wickerrequire "lib.logic" local function NewLogicAssertion(operation, operation_name)  local op_name = tostring(operation_name)  return function(a, b, desc)  if not operation(a, b) then    return error("Assumption about "..tostring(desc).." logical "..op_name.." failed. ("..tostring(a)..", "..tostring(b)..")", 2)    end  endend local logic_equivalence = NewLogicAssertion(Logic.IfAndOnlyIf, "equivalence")local logic_implication = NewLogicAssertion(Logic.Implies, "implication") logic_equivalence(IsServer(), IsMasterSimulation(), "server <-> master simulation") -- This doesn't hold in the main menu.TheMod:AddPrefabPostInit("world", function()  logic_implication(IsDedicated(), IsServer(), "dedicated -> server")  logic_equivalence(IsServer(), not IsClient(), "server <-> not client")end)

Edited by debugman18

Put this in modworldgenmain

if postinitfns.PrefabPostInit == nil then	postinitfns.PrefabPostInit = {}endHackPrefabPostInit = function(prefab, fn)	if postinitfns.PrefabPostInit[prefab] == nil then		postinitfns.PrefabPostInit[prefab] = {}	end	table.insert(postinitfns.PrefabPostInit[prefab], fn)endlocal AddPrefabPostInit = AddPrefabPostInit or HackPrefabPostInitAddPrefabPostInit("world", function(inst)	inst.yourmom = "ishappy"end)

and now it "just werks".

Put this in modworldgenmain

if postinitfns.PrefabPostInit == nil then	postinitfns.PrefabPostInit = {}endHackPrefabPostInit = function(prefab, fn)	if postinitfns.PrefabPostInit[prefab] == nil then		postinitfns.PrefabPostInit[prefab] = {}	end	table.insert(postinitfns.PrefabPostInit[prefab], fn)endlocal AddPrefabPostInit = AddPrefabPostInit or HackPrefabPostInitAddPrefabPostInit("world", function(inst)	inst.yourmom = "ishappy"end)

and now it "just werks".

It's far from "just werking" but I see what you did there. With a little bit of tinkering I may be able to utilize it. Thanks for your help!

Edited by debugman18

• Developer

A change went in earlier this year to remove some functions from the mod environment during world gen that shouldn't be called, such as AddAction. For compatibility between code bases, I'd recommend doing something similar to what @DarkXero is suggesting (minus the yourmom references ;)). 

A change went in earlier this year to remove some functions from the mod environment during world gen that shouldn't be called, such as AddAction. For compatibility between code bases, I'd recommend doing something similar to what @DarkXero is suggesting (minus the yourmom references ;)). 

I'm pretty rusty. Any ideas as to how I would go about running something like his code within the assumptions.lua file (it's a "module" type file within wicker)? I'm not sure doing modenv stuff in modworldgenmain and calling that from there would work. Or would it?

I'm on lunch, so I don't have time right now to bang my head against it.

Edit: If anybody awesome wants to explore the issue further, here's my log:

[00:00:12]: Mod: UpAndAway (Up and Away (dev))   Error loading mod![string "../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/kernel_extensions/..."]:20: attempt to call method 'AddPrefabPostInit' (a nil value)LUA ERROR stack traceback:        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/kernel_extensions/dst_abstraction/assumptions.lua(20,1) in function 'fn'        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/init/kernel_components/loaders.lua(109,1) in function 'fn'        ../mods/UpAndAway/lib/use.lua(109,1) in function 'basic_import'        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/init/kernel_components/basic_importers.lua(35,1) in function 'prefixed_import'        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/init/kernel_components/basic_importers.lua(80,1) in function 'pkgrequire'        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/kernel_extensions/dst_abstraction.lua(27,1) in function 'fn'        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/init/kernel_components/loaders.lua(109,1) in function 'fn'        ../mods/UpAndAway/lib/use.lua(109,1) in function 'basic_import'        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/init/kernel_components/basic_importers.lua(35,1) in function 'prefixed_import'        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/init/kernel_components/basic_importers.lua(80,1) in function 'pkgrequire'        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/kernel_extensions.lua(153,1) in function 'doextend'...        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/init.lua(234,1) in function 'process_mod_environment'        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/init.lua(257,1)        =(tail call) ?        ../mods/UpAndAway/lib/use.lua(109,1) in function 'use'        ../mods/UpAndAway/modworldgenmain.lua(15,1) in main chunk        =[C] in function 'xpcall'        scripts/util.lua(560,1) in function 'RunInEnvironment'        scripts/mods.lua(416,1) in function 'InitializeModMain'        scripts/mods.lua(393,1) in function 'LoadMods'        scripts/worldgen_main.lua(73,1) in main chunk

Edited by debugman18

@debugman18, this will make it not crash on world gen.

local Lambda = wickerrequire "paradigms.functional"local Logic = wickerrequire "lib.logic"local function NewLogicAssertion(operation, operation_name)	local op_name = tostring(operation_name)	return function(a, b, desc)		if not operation(a, b) then			return error("Assumption about "..tostring(desc).." logical "..op_name.." failed. ("..tostring(a)..", "..tostring(b)..")", 2)		end	endendlocal logic_equivalence = NewLogicAssertion(Logic.IfAndOnlyIf, "equivalence")local logic_implication = NewLogicAssertion(Logic.Implies, "implication")logic_equivalence(IsServer(), IsMasterSimulation(), "server <-> master simulation")-- This doesn't hold in the main menu.-- This is currently crashing on worldgen. -debugif not ModManager.worldgen then    TheMod:AddPrefabPostInit("world", function()	logic_implication(IsDedicated(), IsServer(), "dedicated -> server")	logic_equivalence(IsServer(), not IsClient(), "server <-> not client")    end)end

@debugman18, this will make it not crash on world gen.

local Lambda = wickerrequire "paradigms.functional"local Logic = wickerrequire "lib.logic"local function NewLogicAssertion(operation, operation_name)	local op_name = tostring(operation_name)	return function(a, b, desc)		if not operation(a, b) then			return error("Assumption about "..tostring(desc).." logical "..op_name.." failed. ("..tostring(a)..", "..tostring(b)..")", 2)		end	endendlocal logic_equivalence = NewLogicAssertion(Logic.IfAndOnlyIf, "equivalence")local logic_implication = NewLogicAssertion(Logic.Implies, "implication")logic_equivalence(IsServer(), IsMasterSimulation(), "server <-> master simulation")-- This doesn't hold in the main menu.-- This is currently crashing on worldgen. -debugif not ModManager.worldgen then    TheMod:AddPrefabPostInit("world", function()	logic_implication(IsDedicated(), IsServer(), "dedicated -> server")	logic_equivalence(IsServer(), not IsClient(), "server <-> not client")    end)end

Appreciate the help, but I'm getting this issue:

[00:00:16]: Mod: UpAndAway (Up and Away (dev))   Error loading mod![string "../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/api_extensions.lua"]:66: assertion failed!LUA ERROR stack traceback:        =[C] in function 'assert'        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/api_extensions.lua(66,1) in function 'doextend'        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/api_extensions.lua(84,1) in function 'api_extender'        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/init.lua(186,1) in function 'extend_self'        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/init.lua(234,1) in function 'process_mod_environment'        ../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/init.lua(257,1)        =(tail call) ?        ../mods/UpAndAway/lib/use.lua(109,1) in function 'use'        ../mods/UpAndAway/modworldgenmain.lua(15,1) in main chunk        =[C] in function 'xpcall'        scripts/util.lua(560,1) in function 'RunInEnvironment'        scripts/mods.lua(416,1) in function 'InitializeModMain'        scripts/mods.lua(393,1) in function 'LoadMods'        scripts/worldgen_main.lua(73,1) in main chunk

Basically, Wicker is insisting that AddPrefabPostInit exists at any given time. Normally it extends that function of the API, but whatever was changed with worldgen and the modenv broke it.

I'm going to follow the log and see *why* it's insisting, but I doubt it's because of whimsy.

if postinitfns.PrefabPostInit == nil then	postinitfns.PrefabPostInit = {}endHackPrefabPostInit = function(prefab, fn)	if postinitfns.PrefabPostInit[prefab] == nil then		postinitfns.PrefabPostInit[prefab] = {}	end	table.insert(postinitfns.PrefabPostInit[prefab], fn)endGLOBAL.getfenv(1).AddPrefabPostInit = AddPrefabPostInit or HackPrefabPostInitAddPrefabPostInit("world", function(inst)	inst.test = "test"end)

Inject it back into the mod env? Try this.

if postinitfns.PrefabPostInit == nil then	postinitfns.PrefabPostInit = {}endHackPrefabPostInit = function(prefab, fn)	if postinitfns.PrefabPostInit[prefab] == nil then		postinitfns.PrefabPostInit[prefab] = {}	end	table.insert(postinitfns.PrefabPostInit[prefab], fn)endGLOBAL.getfenv(1).AddPrefabPostInit = AddPrefabPostInit or HackPrefabPostInitAddPrefabPostInit("world", function(inst)	inst.test = "test"end)

Inject it back into the mod env? Try this.

How should I be calling the mod environment from assumptions.lua? That's the file which uses AddPrefabPostInit. That aside, though, it seems there are much deeper issues here. Wicker apparently initializes during worldgen, for reasons I've yet to determine, and doing it any other way breaks balance tuning. (We use tunings file and call them through a CFG module type thing.)

And thanks again. Hopefully a solution can be found, because the idea of either refactoring Wicker or removing it altogether is really discouraging to me.

Edited by debugman18

How should I be calling the mod environment from assumptions.lua?

If you do

GLOBAL.getfenv(1).AddPrefabPostInit = AddPrefabPostInit or HackPrefabPostInit

then when assumptions.lua imports the mod environment it imports the function.

If it doesn't import it, then the AddPrefabPostInit nil error should have happened before all of this, right?

You can do

GLOBAL.getfenv(1).AddPrefabPostInit = AddPrefabPostInit or HackPrefabPostInitGLOBAL._UNA = {}GLOBAL._UNA.AddPrefabPostInit = AddPrefabPostInit

and then access globally AddPrefabPostInit via _UNA.AddPrefabPostInit (_UNA so you don't have the PostInit function as a global by itself, you can put other mod functions there too).

If you do

GLOBAL.getfenv(1).AddPrefabPostInit = AddPrefabPostInit or HackPrefabPostInit

then when assumptions.lua imports the mod environment it imports the function.

If it doesn't import it, then the AddPrefabPostInit nil error should have happened before all of this, right?

You can do

GLOBAL.getfenv(1).AddPrefabPostInit = AddPrefabPostInit or HackPrefabPostInitGLOBAL._UNA = {}GLOBAL._UNA.AddPrefabPostInit = AddPrefabPostInit

and then access globally AddPrefabPostInit via _UNA.AddPrefabPostInit (_UNA so you don't have the PostInit function as a global by itself, you can put other mod functions there too).

Well, things are so broke.

[string "../mods/UpAndAway/wicker/kernel_extensions/..."]:19: variable '_UNA' is not declared

It's also relevant that Wicker initializes during worldgen, in modworldgenmain:

TheMod = use 'start_wicker'

Edit: Hang on, I think there are some typo shenanigans going on...

Edit 2: Nope, no typo shenanigans. It's just not running your code. Modmain, modworldgenmain, neither is running it. What in the world...

Edit 3: Okay, it was Wicker shenanigans. That bit is solved. Alas, it reveals significant other issues. More on that soon. Thanks!

Edited by debugman18

Alright, so there's a new problem. I'll try and tackle it. It's very similar to the other problem, so...

[string "../mods/UpAndAway/code/map/levels/upandaway..."]:99: attempt to call method 'GetCurrentMode' (a nil value)

Okay, so apparently that function was removed in DST. I wonder if the caves testing branch reimplemented it?

Edit:

So many things are broken. So many things to fix. So many things I can actually test now!

lgvwh5o.jpg

Edited by debugman18