Clothing and Mod characters

• Developer

Hey all!

As some of you have noticed, we launched the new item drops on the caves beta branch yesterday. Clothing items are one of the big additions to the system, and that obviously impacts mod characters a bit. One of our mandates from the beginning of working on this system was to ensure that we don't break the existing DST mod characters. I was also very keen to ensure that people playing with mod characters could still enjoy the benefits of the item drops/clothing.

To achieve the clothing system we had to touch all of our animation files to include new symbols, for example, the torso is now split into torso and torso_pelvis. Your mod characters will still work on the new animations because both symbols are actually in the same position in the animation, and when we detect that your build doesn't have a torso_pelvis, we "fixup" the old build by putting your torso in the torso_pelvis position when a clothing torso is used. If you are curious about the details of this you can see skinner.lua in function SetSkinMode. Please let me know if you experience issues with a certain mod character and hopefully we can find a solution to that.

We also added the option to exclude certain clothing symbols from replacing your mod character's build symbols. This could be useful if your mod character has a distinctive part of their body that shouldn't be covered by clothing. For example, a character wearing special suit of armor that they want to always be visible would simple exclude the torso symbol for their character.

--in modmain.luaExcludeClothingSymbolForModCharacter( "character_name", "torso" )

Here's an example of Whandler not excluding anything, and then excluding the torso. Note that we didn't exclude the "arm_upper" and "arm_upper_skin" symbols, so the red shoulders still appear. If you want to check out Sage's mod it's here on the workshop (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=392369197)

post-475356-0-46189800-1444425105_thumb.

• Developer

@Silentdarkness1, mods are a huge part of our community and we want to continue to support them to the best we can! The last few months I've been a bit preoccupied with focusing on this new items/gifts/clothing system, but we still think about mods and the modders whenever we do something new.

The new item drop system looks amazing! I can't wait until the official release. Thanks for working so hard to support the mod community, it's super cool to see this new content integrated with Whandler so seamlessly. :D

10/10, would enjoy for long periods of time.