Caves Beta Disappointment

Hi All,

I know it is really buggy at the moment but even in this case server does not crash easily and such. My complaint is, why devs put the option to a place that is really hidden instead of totally implementing caves into the regular version.

I opened a server 15+15 and in past 3-4 days, max player joined never went beyond 4-5. Public servers (not modded ones) max takes this number.. Because of this, I now switched my game back to regular dst (I saw max number of 8 people (8/15) in ToNiO's server but it is modded)...

In DST caves beta after implementing some filtering I could see 6 servers and now i can hardly see 2 servers (this number is more than 15 for regular dst)... Why devs did not add the caves to regular DST? Hope it would be very soon.

Why devs did not add the caves to regular DST?

Because you are part of the privileged 1% who can understand how to make a dedicated server and give it the caves settings.

As long as the dumbest of dunces can't click-and-play on caves, it won't go to the regular branch.

Because you are part of the privileged 1% who can understand how to make a dedicated server and give it the caves settings.

I completely agree with DarkXero

and I think devs have not add all stuff, because I remember to see the beefpack in a stream of Klei

there is also the problem that it's currently not possible to make host game with the overworld and cave simultaneously

personally I prefer devs take their time for beta about cave and ruins, rather than having an official version sloppy quickly

Because you are part of the privileged 1% who can understand how to make a dedicated server and give it the caves settings.   As long as the dumbest of dunces can't click-and-play on caves, it won't go to the regular branch.

I wish I was apart of the privileged one percent instead of the ninety nine percent. ;-;

They didn't add it yet because it's not done yet, that's why it's a beta.

personally I prefer devs take their time for beta about cave and ruins, rather than having an official version sloppy quickly

You do not have to implement whole concept into your current server to participate in caves beta. You can participate in caves beta with only overworld or only caves server... Especially if your server is an overworld only server, that server actually has no relation with caves beta participation. What I mean is regular DST servers can be automatically transferred to caves beta section with only their overworld server..

This hidden buttons and someone who just bought the game, very new to steam does not even have any idea there is caves beta that you can activate. They just download and install game and click on play button and this really cuts the potential load that a multi-layer server can take... If they merge regular DST and DST caves beta with this method, it will also bring more feedback for bug reports since more people will realize that there are multi-layer servers too.

Yes it is beta, but a server that has only overworld in cave beta participation has no bug related to caves server...

So all you have to do is instead of doing this while downloading and installing ur server

steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir path/to/server +app_update 343050 validate +quit

doing this

steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir path/to/server +app_update 343050 -beta cavesbeta validate +quit

will auto transfer single and multi layer servers to be displayed in same browser...

You do not have to implement whole concept into your current server to participate in caves beta. You can participate in caves beta with only overworld or only caves server... What I mean is regular DST servers would be automatically transferred to caves beta section with only their overworld server..

Just transferring the overworld is nothing, may as well stay on the stable branch. And people would complain a lot if they only had the option of "only caves" server, since starting and surviving there the full 4 seasons is extremely hard, special balancing needs to be there. Which is something Klei doesn't want to tackle now, since there are other priorities.

You could make it so you only have the underground biomes and throw some flint and pigs and rabbits all over the place, but why give a gimmicky experience like this? Testers don't need this.

This hidden buttons and someone who just bought the game, very new to steam does not even have any idea there is caves beta that you can activate. They just download and install game and click on play button...

And now you have a lot of clueless people entering dedicated servers, going into caves, liking it, and then clicking Host Game so they can have their own caves, only to find out they have to do some weird nerdy stuff for "something as simple as just changing the world".

I would rather only have YOU annoyed, instead of having a huge part of the playerbase mad because they rely on servers that aren't their own. If you want to contribute to bring the beta branch to the normal one, help find a lot of bugs and give suggestions regarding cave world generation, so once migrations are done with, the rest was already smoothed out.

You can also switch back to the normal branch.

So all you have to do is instead of doing this while downloading and installing ur server
doing this
will auto transfer single and multi layer servers to be displayed in same browser...

What part of "people are dumb" do you not understand?

Just transferring the overworld is nothing, may as well stay on the stable branch.

I know it is nothing but it will auto-merge all servers under same browser. Also a new user (user who knows DS very well and just bought DST beta) who clicks on play button can display all servers (regular dst servers and multi-layer servers) at once and this will attract more people to report bugs related to multi-layer servers. Not all experienced people are community related so they may not know caves beta is out there and can be activated.

Because to be honest, not many people report bugs in any game maybe 1% who are active in the community do that. So how many feedback do you expect from 3-4 active people in caves beta vanilla servers.

As far as I remember, people were so excited about this update and I remember when this update is arrived caves beta servers took more people than today. But this load gradually decreased over time and now a lot of my buds who knows how to switch back and forth prefers to switch back to regular dst because they say more people available there. This is why I also switched my server back to regular dst and do not wanna play there too since currently there is no difference than playing by yourself in don't starve and going into caves or people who knows the game gets bored and leaves server without spelunking.

actually all i want is to have both game servers displayable in same browser. You should not have to switch your game to cave beta branch. Devs can make a system and can put an icon for multi-layer servers (such as caves beta participation icon) but somehow they should be displayed under same browser. Hidden cave beta access will not help bug reports as much as easily accessible one.

I am not annoyed just diappointed and changed my mind to participate in caves beta with my server. It is weird to wait only 3 people in 15+15 slot dedicated server.

Because to be honest, not many people report bugs in any game maybe 1% who are active in the community do that. So how many feedback do you expect from 3-4 active people in caves beta vanilla servers.

If people can't setup the dedicated servers then they aren't going to come here and post. If not enough feedback is gathered, then we have to wait until migrations are ready for the main branch. Caves will most likely continue to be developed for a while after going mainstream. You really need to make it really easy for people to go to them.

What I can assure you is that if caves get to the main branch as they are, you will get "MY OLD SERVER DOESNT HAVE HOLES????", "WHY DO I HAVE TO INSERT THE HOLES?", "HELP THE CAVE HOLES ARE CLOSED, HOW DO I OPEN??", "OTHER PEOPLE HAVE CAVES BUT I DON'T??? WHAT DO I DO?", "CAVES WERE RELEASED??????", "I GOT DISCONNECTED FROM A CAVE SERVER?", "WOW X SERVER DID Y AND NOW I'M MAD".

Then people get told to make "only caves" servers. "CAVES ARE TOO HARD ALONE, NO BERRIES", "HELP WORMS KILL ME", "WINTER KILLS ME IN CAVES", "I GO INSANE WHEN I'M UNDER CAVE LIGHT???". Then they get told to just use underground biomes with "More" options in bushes and stuff so it spawns everywhere. "WOW THIS IS SO EASY", "YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CRAFT A SLURPER STAFF", and a plethora of other helpful comments.

Hidden cave beta access will not help bug reports alot.

It's hidden for those who do not follow the game's development.

If you told me "the RoG beta should have gone to the main branch", I would have agreed, because you didn't need any of the dedicated servers mumbo-jumbo.

If people can't setup the dedicated servers then they aren't going to come here and post. If not enough feedback is gathered, then we have to wait until migrations are ready for the main branch. Caves will most likely continue to be developed for a while after going mainstream. You really need to make it really easy for people to go to them.

What I can assure you is that if caves get to the main branch as they are, you will get "MY OLD SERVER DOESNT HAVE HOLES????", "WHY DO I HAVE TO INSERT THE HOLES?", "HELP THE CAVE HOLES ARE CLOSED, HOW DO I OPEN??", "OTHER PEOPLE HAVE CAVES BUT I DON'T??? WHAT DO I DO?", "CAVES WERE RELEASED??????", "I GOT DISCONNECTED FROM A CAVE SERVER?", "WOW X SERVER DID Y AND NOW I'M MAD".

Then people get told to make "only caves" servers. "CAVES ARE TOO HARD ALONE, NO BERRIES", "HELP WORMS KILL ME", "WINTER KILLS ME IN CAVES", "I GO INSANE WHEN I'M UNDER CAVE LIGHT???". Then they get told to just use underground biomes with "More" options in bushes and stuff so it spawns everywhere. "WOW THIS IS SO EASY", "YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CRAFT A SLURPER STAFF", and a plethora of other helpful comments.

It's hidden for those who do not follow the game's development.

If you told me "the RoG beta should have gone to the main branch", I would have agreed, because you didn't need any of the dedicated servers mumbo-jumbo.

Slurper staff or riot!

What I can assure you is that if caves get to the main branch as they are, you will get "MY OLD SERVER DOESNT HAVE HOLES????", "WHY DO I HAVE TO INSERT THE HOLES?", "HELP THE CAVE HOLES ARE CLOSED, HOW DO I OPEN??", "OTHER PEOPLE HAVE CAVES BUT I DON'T??? WHAT DO I DO?", "CAVES WERE RELEASED??????", "I GOT DISCONNECTED FROM A CAVE SERVER?", "WOW X SERVER DID Y AND NOW I'M MAD".   Then people get told to make "only caves" servers. "CAVES ARE TOO HARD ALONE, NO BERRIES", "HELP WORMS KILL ME", "WINTER KILLS ME IN CAVES", "I GO INSANE WHEN I'M UNDER CAVE LIGHT???". Then they get told to just use underground biomes with "More" options in bushes and stuff so it spawns everywhere. "WOW THIS IS SO EASY", "YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CRAFT A SLURPER STAFF", and a plethora of other helpful comments.
That is so god damn true, also I never noticed how kinky Slurper staff sounded before, Slurper staff or riot!...

Archived