[Suggestion] Tamed Lure Plants

Gotheran

I enjoy farming lureplants but a way to make them a bit more passive would be awesome. My thinking is put them in a farm plot which suppresses some of their abilites and enhances others etc etc. While planted they:

Produce Leaf Meat based on the quality of the farm plot. They should produce around the same amount as they do wild in the regular plot, and about 1.5x faster in the better plot. Up to whomever takes the mod to sort out balancing.

No longer Produce Eyebulbs.

Gather their food via Birch guard style root tentacles which he also uses to bring things to the main bulb to be eaten.

Have Hunger based on the quality of the farm plot. More Hunger in the better plot but drains quicker, less hunger in the weaker plot but drains slower. (Either way they have slow metabolisms requiring about 4 raw morsels a day, tweak at your leisure if it's still too imbalanced.)

Aren't attackable by the player.

Can attack Spiders, Bunnies, Buzzards, Butterflies, and Birds for food.

Can collect berries from nearby bushes for food.

Can't Take your stuff from your chests/iceboxes.

Will eat any sort of food dropped near them.

Won't tease you with food they've picked up.

Won't collect twigs or grass.

I feel like I've covered it all. Just throwing the idea out there if anyone want's to try and make it a thing.

Oh yeah, it'd be awfully OP if they could just literally be stuffed back in the dirt to produce ideally more leafmeat than regular so perhaps they need to be tamed by feeding them special food or having to slap them around once planted.

Most people farm them anyway by stuffing them in a corner with turf that won't let their eyebulbs grow. May as well give a more convenient way to do it that has a few downsides for even more profit.

Except that is a lot of coding work for very little benefit.

I can't imagine that anyone who could code this would find it rewarding.

Please keep criticism constructive. This is a suggestion, not a request, and even if it were a request balancing is entirely up to whomever takes on the project. If you don't like the idea that's fine, you don't have to post anything, but don't come in here and say it's purely a waste of any, and everyone's time.

Please keep criticism constructive. This is a suggestion, not a request, and even if it were a request balancing is entirely up to whomever takes on the project. If you don't like the idea that's fine, you don't have to post anything, but don't come in here and say it's purely a waste of any, and everyone's time.

What you're suggesting is taking a simple, effective mechanic and loading it with all sorts of variables that causes more management but ultimately ads no decision points for the player.

This doesn't cause them to be more interesting, or add good trade-offs, it's just a lot of busy over engineering.

The basis of good design is maximizing enjoyment with no more complexity than necessary.

This suggestion does not achieve that.

Okay seriously stop. You've voiced your very negative opinion twice now, we get it, YOU don't like it, so stop coming in here and acting like you speak for everyone. There are plenty of mods that tweak things even less for less profit with more work put into them than this would take.

Okay seriously stop. You've voiced your very negative opinion twice now, we get it, YOU don't like it, so stop coming in here and acting like you speak for everyone. There are plenty of mods that tweak things even less for less profit with more work put into them than this would take.

You asked for constructive criticism, and I gave it.

No need to be upset because I don't think it's worth 12 hours of someone's time.

Constructive criticism is to point out the flaws and explain why they are flaws.

You just did the first part of the equation.

I am not going to do a list, because his dozen suggestions are bad for about three reasons.

1) they are too complicated for a player to learn what they do via experimentation.

2) The proposed version of lureplant is less useful

3) because of all the complicated parts, it would take a fair bit of time to code.

When you have a complicated feature that takes significant time to implement, and works worse then the original idea both as a new and as an experienced player, that is exactly why the idea is lacking.

I think it's a great idea, and is exactly the sort of thing I would like to be able to include with my mod character, Wanda ( http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/58411-wanda-the-druid-new-character-idea/ ).  She has a lureplant fleshy bulb in her starting inventory, and can craft a lureplant summoning scroll at the Shadow Manipulator.  I often start my base on a large chess set piece, planting the bulb right in the middle, which means that the eyeplants only spawn around the edges, helping a little with defense.  If I want to plant another lureplant in the middle, I first harvest the leafy meat so it withdraws its eyeplants, then expand the hard or crafted turf area outward a little, so that the new one's eyeplants won't reach even further outwards.

Archived