Why is sleeping punished ?

Hi everyone ^^ i wanted to discuss two items in the game.maybe it's just my personal preference, but i rather like building up a "home", a little place to live and call my own. Considering the somewhat nomadic nature of the game, a campsite is about the most reasonable thing to expect. We do have campfires, which (with a little extra investment) can be placed permanantly and that's awesome, but the same can't be said of the straw roll and tent.these two items are essentially the closest we get to habitation. the straw bed thingy allows you to skip the otherwise empty few minute of waiting in the dark, and the tent has the rather unusual function of letting you switch characters. however both are destroyed upon usage, and are somewhat expensive to create in the first place, pretty much negating any hope for making a nice little home.I don't understand the logic behind making the sleeping bag consumed after one use, or in the hunger penalty it gives you. A human metabolism naturally slows down during sleep, and it would make the most sense for hunger to deplete at a slower rate if you choose to sleep through the night. there's no logical reason why a bed should vanish after one use either. If anything, i think investing in creating a bed, and "digging in" to an area, ought to be rewarded, such as with a temporary buff in the morning after resting.as for the tent, i like tents. i want to have one around. can i please not have it crumble to dust when used? :( perhaps a cooldown could be put on it's character switching effect if there's a balance problem there. once every 2 days or so ?

Hi everyone ^^ i wanted to discuss two items in the game.maybe it's just my personal preference, but i rather like building up a "home", a little place to live and call my own. Considering the somewhat nomadic nature of the game, a campsite is about the most reasonable thing to expect. We do have campfires, which (with a little extra investment) can be placed permanantly and that's awesome, but the same can't be said of the straw roll and tent.these two items are essentially the closest we get to habitation. the straw bed thingy allows you to skip the otherwise empty few minute of waiting in the dark, and the tent has the rather unusual function of letting you switch characters. however both are destroyed upon usage, and are somewhat expensive to create in the first place, pretty much negating any hope for making a nice little home.I don't understand the logic behind making the sleeping bag consumed after one use, or in the hunger penalty it gives you. A human metabolism naturally slows down during sleep, and it would make the most sense for hunger to deplete at a slower rate if you choose to sleep through the night. there's no logical reason why a bed should vanish after one use either. If anything, i think investing in creating a bed, and "digging in" to an area, ought to be rewarded, such as with a temporary buff in the morning after resting.as for the tent, i like tents. i want to have one around. can i please not have it crumble to dust when used? :( perhaps a cooldown could be put on it's character switching effect if there's a balance problem there. once every 2 days or so ?

Well the reason why these things have little amount of uses is because they want you to constantly have something to do, in which case if those two items didn't have such small uses then you wouldn't have to frequently rebuild them, which gives you something to do :p There are other reasons which I cannot think of right now as I just woke up. As for the sleeping bag, I'm okay with the one use, but I agree with what you said about the metabolism, though when you think of it, Wilson and the other characters have been imprisoned in a different world/dimension by Maxwell. This means that the creators can do whatever you want and including the fact that there is magic in the game and that you lose hunger really quickly and have shorter days too, then it means that the developers can do whatever they like. Anyway the reason why you lose hunger is because it skips the whole night cycle which skips you being a wake to get hungry which is why it takes away the hunger you should of lost :p

The night is the most important part of the game, it's the time that makes the game dangerous and exciting. this is how the game developers like it, which is why they made the sleeping mat a one time use item and penalized you by making you hungry. what you're asking for is to sleep every night without having to replace/repair your sleeping area and be rewarded by making you less hungry than if you stayed up the entire night while also having no nighttime monsters bothering you, does that sound like a survival game to you? It sure doesn't sound like one to me...

The night is the most important part of the game, it's the time that makes the game dangerous and exciting. this is how the game developers like it, which is why they made the sleeping mat a one time use item and penalized you by making you hungry. what you're asking for is to sleep every night without having to replace/repair your sleeping area and be rewarded by making you less hungry than if you stayed up the entire night while also having no nighttime monsters bothering you, does that sound like a survival game to you? It sure doesn't sound like one to me...

While I agree with the logic of "why would my straw roll suddenly vanish?", I have to agree with this more. Having a proper bed to use every night would make the player able to simply skip the night, as long as he gets back to his base everyday. The current straw roll is meant to be more of a "skip one night ticket" than an actual bed. I guess it's just that the idea doesn't fit the chosen item. Mandrakes fit better in this regard. Maybe the straw roll should simply be replaced for something else that makes more sense to simply make you skip one night. Something like sleeping pills? xD I dunno.

straw roll is actually a bundle of grass u need 1 rope and loose grass ( the rope is there to bundle the grass together ) then wen u go to sleapU untie the rope and put the LOOS grass on the ground wen u wake up the grass will be all muddy and full of bugs Broken and wet ( not usable any more )so u need to get new grass to sleep again :)

I can't explain the hunger penalty, possibly because you're relatively "safe" by complelely bypassing night, but...

I remember seeing somewhere that the Devs have purposely done so, and is likely to stick with it, to NOT have a permanent station (House included, but mostly sleeping methods). Which explains why they made straw roll as a one-use item.

Anyway, at late early-game to early mid-game (Current stage of development), you'll likely to have enough Grass Tuft (fertilised) and Tall Grass that you can pretty much sleep every night, provided you've been actively digging them up and planting them in your own "base" without losing any to Flame Hounds.

---

Edit - This is just my opinion but... "You've been thrown into a Game of Wilderness Survival. Your priority is surviving to the next day, and the next, and the next... until you get off the island alive... Not build a beautiful home that's lavishly decorated and completely defensed up" ...is what I think they're going with, I believe. The last thing they want is turning this into another Minecraft/Terraria sandbox game.

Edited by Moonphos

I like the idea of something permanent, like the stone fireplace, but not an easy ticket out of the wilderness for the night. Something to establish a home base that is shelter like. Perhaps a three-walled shelter. Something that could maybe ease the winter time a bit, or maybe other weather occurrences if implemented, but still leave you exposed to the elements and creatures at night, or whenever. Costing quite a bit of wood and resources to build.

I like the idea of something permanent, like the stone fireplace, but not an easy ticket out of the wilderness for the night. Something to establish a home base that is shelter like. Perhaps a three-walled shelter. Something that could maybe ease the winter time a bit, or maybe other weather occurrences if implemented, but still leave you exposed to the elements and creatures at night, or whenever. Costing quite a bit of wood and resources to build.

Yeah, a flammable, exposed on one side shelter could be nice. Though it could get problematic with the fact that it's not lit, and willow could set the whole house on fire. Maybe you could craft a lamp, and that would be a required item to build the house, and it would stay lit? The lamp would be a nice, long lasting handheld light, like a better torch. Edited by The King Pig