Light em up up BRING OUT THE (bon)FIAAAAAAAAH!

So a couple days ago, I was on the way back from vacation, and my dad decided to stop at my Uncle and Aunt's house. When we were there, I saw a big pile of sticks that they sometimes build up for bonfires. I then remembered that bonfires were going to be a thing is Don't Starve. I propose that bonfires should be added into DST in order to make our lives better. You know that moment when you're trying to guide somebody to your base and they don't have a compass or anything, and they end up going in the correct direction but missing your base and going way to far? Well, the bonfire could fix that. You could build a bonfire out of a bunch of twigs and stuff. When a bonfire is built, characters will say "I see smoke in the distance!" or something like that. A player indicator would direct players towards the fire. This indicator would remain until the fire goes out.

Isn't there already a mod that does this?  Global Positions by Rezecib.  The map sharing option doesn't work anymore but the smoke signals should.  You can choose whether you want fires always visible or only when fueled with charcoal.

I don't like the idea of worrying about raiders tracking my fire down based on what fuel I use. At least with a bonfire you're intentionally drawing people in.

I understand the whole thing like this:

1. Willow is lonely and lights a bonfire.
  2. Wilson states to his player that he sees smoke in the distance.
  3. Wilson's player gets presented with a smoke indicator similiar to player indicators.
  4. Wilson does not mark the location of the fire on his map, since he only sees the direction.
  5. Willow forgot to keep the fire burning, it goes out.
  6. Wilson no longer sees the smoke and says that he lost the trail.
  7. The smoke indicator disappears.
  8. Wilson might be brave and keep going until he finds the bonfire remains, or he gives up and tries to survive on his own.

Depending on how easy such a bonfire is to craft, the quotes may need to be skipped. Maybe characters could refuse the placement of a bonfire when there's X smoke indicators already?

I understand the whole thing like this:

1. Willow is lonely and lights a bonfire.
  2. Wilson states to his player that he sees smoke in the distance.
  3. Wilson's player gets presented with a smoke indicator similiar to player indicators.
  4. Wilson does not mark the location of the fire on his map, since he only sees the direction.
  5. Willow forgot to keep the fire burning, it goes out.
  6. Wilson no longer sees the smoke and says that he lost the trail.
  7. The smoke indicator disappears.
  8. Wilson might be brave and keep going until he finds the bonfire remains, or he gives up and tries to survive on his own.

Depending on how easy such a bonfire is to craft, the quotes may need to be skipped. Maybe characters could refuse the placement of a bonfire when there's X smoke indicators already?

That's pretty much spot on. I hadn't really thought about bonfire remains. Maybe a small pile of charcoal and ashes? It would probably be crafted out of a bunch of flammables like logs and stuff.

Archived