Shank 2 on Linux - Survival Mode graphics bug

armahillo

Playing on Linux (via Humble Bundle / Ubuntu Software Center installation). Campaign mode has worked fine so far.On survival mode, when a "bomber" appears, the entire screen goes black except for the bottom right corner, showing the animated face of the bomber. I suspect it's a layer-transparency issue. The game is continuing to play, except I can't see until the animation finishes. This basically makes survival mode unplayable for now.

I can confirm this too. Only difference is that I got mine directly from the Humble Indie Bundle page (torrent).I've tried Shank 2 on two different machines:Machine 1: Intel i5 3550, 8 GB ram, Geforce 9800 GT.OS: Linux Mint Debian 64 bitsMachine 2: AMD Athlon X2 6000+, 2 GB ram, Ati Radeon HD 6870.OS: Linux Mint Debian 64 bitsIn my attempts to get Shank 2 to work on Machine 1, I've already gone through 3 different NVIDIA drivers: two from the repos (can't remember the version, sorry) and one installed manually (310.19). This did not resolve the issue.I also thought that the Window Manager could be interfering, so I tired it both under XFCE and KDE (compositing off and on). This did not resolve the issue either.Other games from the bundle work fine so far (Grimrock, Snapshot and Closure, at least). Other windows games under wine also work fine (as fine as one would expect from wine anyway). I did not try the windows version of Shank on wine...yet.Machine 2 has, basically, a clean install. Fully updated as of last week or so, running the fglrx drivers straight from the repos. Again, other games work fine, but Shank 2 suffers from the same graphical bug in survival.Oh, and for what it's worth, Shank 2 runs fine on Windows on both machines (no graphical bugs).If there's any more info I could provide to help resolve this issue, please let me know.

Hi,

Unfortunately we haven't been able to reproduce this issue. Are you using the latest version (Update 2 dated 27 December or Update 3 that should Soon become available)? Does this happen on all survival levels? Could you perhaps post a screenshot?

Thanks!

Tuomas Närväinen

Alternative Games

I have had the issue with both versions actually and it happens on all the survival levels. I haven't been able to make a screenshot, since I don't know if Shank 2 has some keybinding to do it, but xbindkeys doesn't appear to work when shank2 is running and I have no clue how to take a screenshot at that exact moment without it.

Thank you for the screenshot. However we still can't get that effect to appear here.

Could you please confirm you are using the latest version (Update 3 dated 2 January)?

And if this problem still occurs, could you please post your system specs: Linux distro, whether you have a 32 or 64 bit system, GPU, and graphics driver version (ie. basically the info sobuy posted of his setup).

Edited by Tuomas

This bug manifests itself in the last update(shank2-linux-update3-1357159966.tar.gz md5sum: 1d829832c54330c2eabd4dcf0f14e946).My system:Gentoo Linux pf-kernel-3.7.1 x86_64 Intel® Core i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linuxnvidia-drivers-310.19GeForce GTX 465

Same here on update 3 as well. This is what it now says in console relating to the cinematic being played.

[18:37.15] (0x7fa0ae5527a0) [Choreographer] Playing cinematic "small_goon_bomber_intro.cinema"

[18:37.15] (0x7fa0ae5527a0) Spawning med_goon_knife

[18:37.15] (0x7fa0ae5527a0) [Choreographer] Warning: Cinematic "small_goon_bomber_intro.cinema" is already playing!

[18:37.15] (0x7fa0ae5527a0) Could not play shank/SmallGoon/Laugh in pos (2817.000000,608.000000) result 83

[18:37.15] (0x7fa0ae5527a0) channels: 2 freq 44100

[18:37.18] (0x7fa0ae5527a0) FIXME: KGraphics::ReleaseTexture

[18:37.18] (0x7fa0ae5527a0) [Choreographer] Cinematic "small_goon_bomber_intro.cinema" is finished.

Debian Sid 3.2.0-2-amd64

Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

GeForce GTX 550 Ti

NVIDIA driver version: 304.64

Hello again.

I haven't had much time to play Shank lately because of work, but I got to mess around with it during the weekend.

I updated the game to update 5 and sadly the bug is still present. I actually managed to play all the way to a boss wave once (it wasn't easy :) ) and can thus confirm that the bug happens with the boss animation too.

Eventually, after hours of frustration, I also made it into a zombie wave and can confirm that the old movie filter (or whatever you want to call it) that is applied on the screen does NOT suffer from the same bug. I gave up after that.

That's the bad news. Now the "good" news: I did manage to find a (hopefully temporary) workaround for the bug.

Go to <shank2 directory>/data/movies and remove (or rename) the following files:

boss_grappler_intro.ogv

boss_zombie_grappler_intro.ogv

small_goon_bomber_intro.ogv

small_goon_zombie_bomber_intro.ogv

That way, the animations won't play and you'll be able to play Survival without the annoyance (I managed to play all the way to a boss wave on the farm level again, and it worked fine...didn't have time to try more). The downside is that you'll be missing the animations...which is less than ideal.

I'll attach an aggregate.log file (which, if I am not mistaken, contain the full game logs) of a game in which the bug happens (basically, I played until wave 3 in the farm level and then killed myself). Hopefully, that will be useful.

Hope this bug will be fixed Soon!

aggregate.log