Totem Pole - Land Ownership & Protection

Land Ownership & Protection  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have land ownership and protection?

• Yes, just like this.
    • Yes, but not like this.
    • No.

Recipe

Living Log (x1)
Nightmare Fuel (x3)
Bone Shards (x2)

Totem Pole Explained

Placing a totem pole will take ownership of land around it starting at 4v4 radius using the pitchfork grid. To increase the size of the owned land, you will have to feed the totem pole more nightmare fuel. To see the land that you own, you would simply hover your mouse over the totem and your owned land would be lighten up. The totem pole is invulnerable until the owner of the totem dies. Once the owner of the totem dies, the totem gets destroyed and the land is no longer owned nor protected. Each player may only have one totem. This would also be a great time to add a friend's list which will allow your friends to have access to your land.

Land Protection

Non-friend players on your land will not be able to...

• Set anything on fire.
  • Access your chests.
  • Build anything.
  • Use any workstation.
  • Use a pitchfork.
  • Pick your crops.
  • Destroy your totem pole.

Doing any of these will have a shadow appear and prevent you from doing it while decreasing your sanity. For example, if a non-friend player sets something on fire on your land, a shadow will appear, blow it out, attack the player, and decrease their sanity.

Non-friend players on your land will still be able to...

• Steal items on your land that are lying on the ground.
  • Destroy your base manually with a hammer.
  • Dig up your plants.
  • Cut down your trees.
  • Attack and kill you in attempt to destroy your totem.

Feedback and suggestions are welcomed.

Wait...except the totem pole...I don't get it is it like you need 3 hammers to destroy the totem pole or something else?

The totem pole is invulnerable unless the owner of it dies. If a person could just get in and destroy the totem pole then this would just be too easy. Also people would be blocking the totem with trees, walls, ect.

How do trees protect the totem. o3o 

People would hide the totem within the trees, making it very annoying to get to. The totem's intention is to show ownership, not be a vulnerability point. The player is the real vulnerability point. It'll also help with players who log off for the day so people don't just come and take over your base like it's nothing. They can still loot you, but it'll require more effort than people who don't own land.

Reskin and make a re-purposed copy of the Pig Totem... why not...

EDIT: Also, could you put a "Maybe" option too? O__O I'm still kinda on the fringe with this... I do see some merit in some of the mechanics...

Segway: I kinda do a little landscaping on pig villages and wall them up, make entrances, post pig warrior totems on entrances and valuable loot and make a sort of town with them in my servers... its kinda fun watching people go to the pig village and like say, "wow, did you use a mod? :)" and I'm like "..." because DebugSpawn("pigtorch") O___O

So basically, I put Pig Torches around some stuff to protect them from looters... your idea just reminded me of this...

People would hide the totem within the trees, making it very annoying to get to.
So what you're saying is 1. People won't see the totem and will have to keep looking for it to break it down or 2. they won't be able to hit it cause the trees are in the way? 

So what you're saying is 1. People won't see the totem and will have to keep looking for it to break it down or 2. they won't be able to hit it cause the trees are in the way? 

I guess #1, however regardless I don't think totems should be protected to keep your land safe. There would be just too many flaws with that system, which is why you should be forced to kill the owner instead rather than the totem. I don't see where you're going with this.

I think that trying to destroy a base with a hammer should summon a shadow that will attack the player, summoning an additional shadow if someone other than its original target attacks it. Meaning to destroy a base, you'll have to kill a few shadows per structure.

so NON-friend players cannot do anything in the totem zone? is that correct?

Yes they can...

Non-friends players on your land will still be able to...

• Steal items on your land that are lying on the ground.
  • Destroy your base manually with a hammer.
  • Dig up your plants.
  • Cut down your trees.
  • Attack and kill you in attempt to destroy your totem.

Huh? What? I've been summoned? Ok, then, might as well participate since I'm here...

@Trenix Sounds like something interesting to have for PvP, but not something to have for non-PvP games (In other words for PvE). However, even then there is the issue of people being able to conquer games. This is in particular vulnerable if there's griefers around, or even just players who want to loot the area. And I don't know how I feel about totems in DS. Having them for Pig torches seems ok, but having totems literally everywhere you go would seem kind of creepy, but not in the right way. Also, considering that in mid or late game you could have a lot of some of the rarer stuff, the totem would be quite easy to make and that's where the ownership of the world begins. We already have land ownership irl with all the Capitalism and states around, no need to put that into DS, cause if DS becomes a state based Capitalist type of "survival" game then I don't even know...

Thats nice, too with the shadows protection.

Maybe one weakness: So, if I am in need for nightmare fuels, I just go for destroying other bases and btw. I can get some loot. I see already the griefers chatting "I want just nightmare fuel!!!!"

We already have land ownership irl with all the Capitalism and states around, no need to put that into DS,

Yeah, I also want to live like the native american: "You want to buy land? From who?"

What's the point of not being able to access someone's chests if you can still smash them with a hammer and get all their stuff anyways? Seeing as non-friend players can still manually destroy your stuff.

Because it gives players the time to react and raiders would need to come prepared with a hammer in order to pillage. Also at the moment, smart players can steal very little from your base every now and then and you'd never know about it. If they were required to break your chest before they could open it, then you'd know that someone is stealing from you, giving you the hint to relocate.

Huh? What? I've been summoned? Ok, then, might as well participate since I'm here...

And I don't know how I feel about totems in DS. Having them for Pig torches seems ok, but having totems literally everywhere you go would seem kind of creepy, but not in the right way.

Quick solution to problem: one torch per person, and the benefits and costs to upgrade vamp up in an appropriate manner so that idk, to reach the final stage and maximum benefit of totem you need to have been in the ruins to gets some thul or something. So they wouldn't be everywhere, espically when the x1 living log requirement to first produce wouldn't be attained by most newbs that only join a server for like 30 min (unlike science machines)

Archived