Bernie the bear

There are some hint/spoilers in the comments here: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/54736-game-update-138494-and-138374-632015/

Seems like when you go insane, Bernie walks and draws away the nightmare creatures? I also tried testing last night but I wasn't insane enough. I think you also have to drop him on the ground to see the effect.

I never saw a shadow creature while insane. I walked around at zero sanity with bernie following me for a couple days and not a one appeared. He didn't seem to have any effect on any mobs either. The spiders walked right past him to get me. Also because nothing was attacking him his durability never changed.The freezing was a bit of a nuisance and I have to admit that I was hoping he would become some kind of snarling, clawing, biting version of Abigail that dropped stuffing as his durability dropped and he devoured poor unsuspecting mobs.

I never saw a shadow creature while insane. I walked around at zero sanity with bernie following me for a couple days and not a one appeared. He didn't seem to have any effect on any mobs either. The spiders walked right past him to get me. Also because nothing was attacking him his durability never changed.The freezing was a bit of a nuisance and I have to admit that I was hoping he would become some kind of snarling, clawing, biting version of Abigail that dropped stuffing as his durability dropped and he devoured poor unsuspecting mobs.

Shadow creatures rarely (if ever) spawn when you're walking around. They tend to spawn when you're stationary, either standing around the campfire, or doing stuff like cutting trees.

I believe there is a bug where shadow creatures spawn off screen while you are walking around, and then when you move too far away, they go into a standby by mode like any other mob does in the world. Since they are are frozen off screen until you run into them, they will not despawn or move closer.

Bernie is more like the bear from Among the Sleep than the League of Legends bear. A self sacrificing guardian for a child being attacked by creatures of insanity. The decision they took with Bernie just highlights what kind of background Willow came from. So far, every friendly in the game is somewhat cute, which makes their inevitable slaughter from other monsters fit Don't Starve's macabre theme. 

From my understanding Bernie (and any other distraction) will only pull aggro if the enemy isn't currently targeting you. So killer bees, spiders, anything else that spawns targeting you directly, aren't distracted by Bernie unless you dodge them long enough for them to stop targeting you. Shadow creatures spawn then target you if you're too close so they will almost always preferentially attack the bear.

The thing is, even if you give yourself a friendly tag, preventing a mob from targeting you, if the monster is targeting you before you do, they won't drop aggro unless you distance yourself first. Same thing with Bernie picking up aggro on something already targeting you.

So spiders spawning from a nest won't target Bernie. Now if it's just spiders walking around that might be different. I haven't had a chance to test anything yet.

Also, I might be wrong about everything above, this is just my limited understanding.

Archived