[SUGGESTION] Bathing

Please note that I don't want another 'meter' like hunger, I just feel like this would be a nice way of showing that your character had been in the wilderness for a while, rather than looking as pristine as on day 1.

As I amassed a vast sum of manure, I thought surely this would make me dirty? Anyway, I thought maybe as the days go on, your character gets more and more dirty, which would be accelerated by collecting manure and maybe farming or something. As your character gets more dirty, you get the annoying sound of flies around you and other creatures begin to avoid you more readily, for example, rabbits would run into their holes even when you were relatively far away. This could be possibly balanced by hostile mobs avoiding you as well. If you wanted to clean yourself, you would have to bathe in a pond (perhaps an old fashioned swim suit has to be crafted). It might just be me, but I don't have much interaction with ponds at the moment so it might be a nice addition. And if the water is good enough for fish, it's good enough for me. I think getting messier hair and patches of dirt on you would be a nice way of illustrating the length of time you have spent in the wilderness. as currently the only thing that shows this is Wilson's beard.

That is all, thank you for reading.

Stuff in red is stuff I have decided against.

Edited by McMatthew

I'm actually against them adding more 'systems' like thirst because I think the game would turn into purely trying to satisfy your character's needs as opposed to exploring and things. Cleaning yourself wouldn't be a necessity, it would be like shaving where you can choose to shave or not. I just think it would add another dynamic to the game that is different to other games.

I'm actually against them adding more 'systems' like thirst because I think the game would turn into purely trying to satisfy your character's needs as opposed to exploring and things. Cleaning yourself wouldn't be a necessity, it would be like shaving where you can choose to shave or not. I just think it would add another dynamic to the game that is different to other games.

Health, Hunger, Sanity, Nutrition, Thirst, Hygiene, etc.

Yeah I also don't like the idea of adding too many parameters that I have to monitor constantly.

I don't think they should add more systems either, but I think this will end up being one. I was just saying if they do add more systems thirst would probably be added before this is.

Also your beard isn't annoying.

As your character gets more dirty, you get the annoying sound of flies around you

This is.

Also beards don't affect gameplay.

other creatures begin to avoid you more readily, for example, rabbits would run into their holes even when you were relatively far away.

This does.

The point I was trying to make is that washing wouldn't be required to survive, whereas thirst would be. And I wasn't trying to say that they would be exactly like beards, I just sort of meant that it would have a progressive effect on your character's appearance as you became muddier and muddier, similar to beard growth. Of course, there should be an incentive to wash which is why I suggested the flies and animal behaviour if you become seriously dirty.

Sorry, but the need to be clean... that sounds far too much like "The Sims". While a few other players have suggested baths and soap as a way to restore Sanity (i.e. because it's "civilized") I just wouldn't want to track dirtiness with a meter. So I would have to pass on this suggestion.

Like I said, the last thing I want is another meter, I just thought it would be nice to have something esle affecting your character's appearance. The only character that looks like they have been in the wilderness for a while is Wilson after he has grown a beard. The others are no different to how they look on the first day.

These small aesthetic additions aren't really needed, they're just another small detail people might ignore, forcing people to wash their character seems a bit irritating and un-necessary, I mean there's few games which have this mechanic other than The Sims franchise, and I don't think the team wants to turn this into anything like The Sims.

I disagree that small aesthetic additions aren't needed. I think they add a lot to the game without actually changing much. For example, I think gaining weight has been talked about which again would be a minor change but would just add more variety to the character's appearance. I wanted something that would change the character's appearance over time so that it looked like they had been living in the wilderness for however long, instead of being completely clean the whole time. I thought that dirtiness would be a good way to do this as the player could remain dirty or become clean if they so wish. There would be no meter, as there is no meter for beard growth, your character would just get messier hair with a few twigs in it and patches of mud on their skin and clothes to show a progression from day one.

I think everyone is missing the OP's point. This is NOT a new system. I think it would be pretty cool to get dirtier as you do stuff. What I don't agree with is the suggestion that the world should react differently to you if you are dirty.

Bathing would also be a great way to restore sanity (since this IS a meter that will be introduced). So I'm all for the aesthetic of seeing your player get dirtier over a number of days. It wouldn't be a meter, it wouldn't affect the game world in any way, it WOULD restore some sanity when you bathe (yet this doesn't need to be linked in any way to how dirty you are, maybe limiting the sanity bonus you get from bathing to once per day).

I think everyone is missing the OP's point. This is NOT a new system. I think it would be pretty cool to get dirtier as you do stuff. What I don't agree with is the suggestion that the world should react differently to you if you are dirty.

Bathing would also be a great way to restore sanity (since this IS a meter that will be introduced). So I'm all for the aesthetic of seeing your player get dirtier over a number of days. It wouldn't be a meter, it wouldn't affect the game world in any way, it WOULD restore some sanity when you bathe (yet this doesn't need to be linked in any way to how dirty you are, maybe limiting the sanity bonus you get from bathing to once per day).

Thanks for the support. And I think you're right about its affect on the game world, it just seemed comical in my head. From what I gather, the main reason people don't seem to like this idea is that it would 'force' the player to bathe, but if the world didn't react to your dirtiness then there really would be nothing pressuring you to make a decision.

I approve of this playing into the Sanity meter. Also for comedic value, maybe you can only bathe in certain ponds. They come with a tree/bush/plant of some sort in front that conveniently hides the character. And no uprooting/cutting down because the character would refuse to bathe in that location afterwards. :D

http://www.theretroknittingcompany.co.uk/images/05Aug09/patons2895swa.jpg

Haha, that's brilliant. I'm sure Wilson will feel a lot more comfortable in one of these.

I think so as well! :D

tumblr_mfpl81scX41s11j1go1_500.png