Does anyone actually take Salem as their starting agent?

Shalem's armor penetration on ranged weapons doesn't seem to be a useful passive until much later into the 72 hours, and between his gun having only two shots, charge packs being semi expensive among more useful items, and shops not always being guaranteed you can never really safely shoot anyone.

Compared to someone like Banks, who has a refreshable 3 turn ko tranquilizer, Dr. Xu with his door traps, and Nika's multiple stuns, he just seems to get out valued.

(Also Internationale is god tier. No question.)

Also bonus thing, get Nika on your team, and give her the leg augments that boost your AP for using knockouts. You can a get like 30 AP a turn. It even works on ambushes, which will give you 18 AP on the next turn. It's insane.

Shalem is not so bad as a starting agent. Most complaints are about when he is found in detention centers.

While I don't usually take him, he can be useful for some strategies, as a safetynet if nothing else, and while his augment may be late game focused, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Look at Sharp. The main thing that people complain about is that his augment can be replaced by the piercing scanner augment, but that doesn't automatically make it bad.

This comes from someone that has Shalem as his profile pic.

I beat Expert Plus for the first time with Shalem and Internationale. His rifle and augment can be useful and I actually kind of like the fact he starts with more strength because it removes the need for me to level it up immediately. 

I just beat Experienced for the first time, using Shalem (+Internationale....). And yeah, I don't think he's so bad. While he could be replaced by an augment, it's just nice to have one piece of the late game ready at the beginning, and not have to worry about being screwed around with by the RNG.

In my case, his augment + rifle was really great for taking on Sankaku bots. Later, him and a pair of Flurry guns was how I dealt with the soldiers with the 3 armour layers. I never saw anything else that would have helped with those, and without him I'd have been in real trouble.

Shalem 11 is probably my favorite agent in the game. The issue is that when people find Shalem in detention centers instead of Xu, Banks, or Nika, or even Internationale, their augments have their preference. But as a starting agent, given the most time to really hone his edge as a ranged agent, he becomes an extremely useful agent capable of ranged takedowns and moving in to eliminate otherwise dangerous threats from a distance.

Besides, getting Shalem 11 a Drilling DART works fantastically for him since it's just a non-lethal version of his starting rifle. Being able to get a piercing scanner and anatomy analysis on Shalem 11 makes him absolutely perfect later in the game, especially in Endless, where losing credits isn't as much of an issue as getting out.

Also, he's basically Lebanese Golgo 13. So that's awesome too.

Shalem is not so bad as a starting agent. Most complaints are about when he is found in detention centers.

While I don't usually take him, he can be useful for some strategies, as a safetynet if nothing else, and while his augment may be late game focused, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Look at Sharp. The main thing that people complain about is that his augment can be replaced by the piercing scanner augment, but that doesn't automatically make it bad.

This comes from someone that has Shalem as his profile pic.

I believe he also has 5 open augments as opposed to other agents having only a potential of 4(assuming they start with no augment). Sure, his 6th counts as 2 Titanium Rods once you've filled him out and you can't control that, but you still get an extra augment of your choice.

Archived