Previously in the game, you are able to interact with objects like harvest grass, twigs, berries, pick up flint and other objects even while in complete darkness. Somewhere along the way, this was fixed.

O__O

Now, they have made it so that you will not be able to do this and must first acquire a light source if you wish to interact with objects in the dark. If you attempt to hold [space] to harvest/pick-up/chop down something in complete darkness… you’re gonna have a bad time. :T

There is however a loophole…

Let’s say, for example, you want to chop a tree down but you can’t equip your torch because then you won’t be able to use your axe, you don’t have a miner hat, you can’t place or create a fire pit or even a camp fire, and you want – nay, need to chop down a tree, what do you do?

First, place a disposable, burnable object, say a piece of grass on the ground (preferably far objects that might burn), and light it with your torch. This will give you just a few seconds of light but that’s all you need.

If you are chopping down a tier 4 tree (a tree that when chopped down will yield 3 logs, 2 pine cones and a stump that you can dig out to get another log for a total of 4 logs), it would take about 15 swings from an axe. By about the 8th - 10th chop, the fire would have already died out but by continuing to hold the action button (usually the [space bar]), you can continue to chop it down and equip your torch to pick them up. For the remaining stump, you can light 1 pinecone away from it, dig it out and get 1 more log for a total of 4 logs able to be refined into boards. With the remaining pinecone, please replant it in place of the one you took down… it’s just common courtesy.

Basically, what I said was: Whatever action you were doing (like chopping down a tree or breaking boulders) will continue even when you are plunged into complete darkness after your light wastes away.

I don’t know if this is a bug or an exploit so I just posted it here :T

For the final log (digging up), you can also, while holding the torch, pick up the shovel from your inventory and click on the stump. I think your char will still do the action even when he/she auto-unequips the torch.

It only works for single actions though, so you'll still have to do the pinecone trick for the actual chopping.

For the final log (digging up), you can also, while holding the torch, pick up the shovel from your inventory and click on the stump. I think your char will still do the action even when he/she auto-unequips the torch.

This was around since DS.

This was around since DS.

Yes. So does all of OP's "techniques".

I was just pointing out how you don't have to do latter half of OP's method. (The one where he tells you to burn a pinecone and dig up the remaining log.)

I kinda posted this because a guy was having trouble with lag and stuff and with harvesting and gathering resources in emergency situations so I posted and linked him this... he doesn't know this is me because he's not into foruming :T and wouldn't ask for hand-outs but I sneaked this link to him and he used them now... I don't think he's coming back here though O__O

Oh, yeah, he read it up to your post @applebottom... he told me to "turn off your light. I want to try something I thought of" and proceeds to do what you said...

I said "nice" :T

I kinda posted this because a guy was having trouble with lag and stuff and with harvesting and gathering resources in emergency situations so I posted and linked him this... he doesn't know this is me because he's not into foruming :T and wouldn't ask for hand-outs but I sneaked this link to him and he used them now... I don't think he's coming back here though O__O

Oh, yeah, he read it up to your post @applebottom... he told me to "turn off your light. I want to try something I thought of" and proceeds to do what you said...

I said "nice" :T

"O__O" -Asparagus 2015

Asparagus knows how to inspire people. :p Good job my friend.

The darkness in dst is actually different to the singleplayer, and due to this, while my character is holding a torch, click a tool over the thing you're trying to use it on. Not sure if you knew that :o

I was just adding a note to it.

Yeah I knew :D thanks for adding that btw.

I wanted to keep that one to myself so I could still have a few more tricks up my sleeve XD

Not sure if you knew that

Well appleB's got that covered :D 

Archived