[Suggestion] Increase campfire/firepit cooking range

Right now I find it hard to cook stuff on the fire if there's even 1 more player doing the same thing, because most of the time I get to hover over him instead of the firepit/campfire.

Take a look at these screenshots:

l8kvXx8.png
v8P6MRu.png
4jXKN6j.png

Actually it's not about increasing the cooking range. Most players, I suppose, grab the item and put it over the firepit while staying at a reasonable distance from it, as in not close enough to make it hard for others to hover over the firepit. So I think that it's more about making the players start the cooking animation at a more reasonable distance and not while getting as close as possible to the firepit.

Agreed. With only 2 players, each can just take a spot on either side of the fire and be fine. More than that, and you're likely to feed everyone instead of cooking food for yourself. Maybe we can get a paddle or an oar, and use that to beat them back? ;)

@ailailou, why in the world was everyone huddled up so close in that 3rd picture? Middle of Autumn, so they can't be cold... and a roaring fire, it's not like there's no light! Maybe Webber in the background can bring some friends into the party, inspire everyone to spread out a bit more :grin:

@imsomony, that was a public dedicated server, me and 2 other players were pretty much taking care of everything while newbies kept appearing (server was full 16/16), 't was more about teaching new players basic stuff and whatnot. Heh, actually we were surprised our base was not in ashes by the 5th day.

But how would that look? Just pitching in, about how far do you suggest to make the range? Like a wall segment's worth? Wouldn't that look weird when cooking though? Like the fire is out of arm's reach but you can get your steak cooked from that distance?

O__O

I haven't exactly thought it out, @Asparagus, but yeah, simply increasing the range where the cooking animation starts would do the trick. Would it look weird while cooking? Well, not really in my opinion, does it seem weird you can learn new things even at a fair distance from the science_machine/alchemy_engine? :)

Thing is, this trick would work if the character would be at a fair distance from the firepit and selects the food to cook on the fire from that spot, making the character move automatically towards the fire and stop at the new designed range. Many players still come as close as possible to the firepit and only afterwards start cooking, and simply increasing the collision range of the firepit/campfire would have undesired consequences for players who like tightly built camps.

Meh, just my 2 cents. ^^

does it seem weird you can learn new things even at a fair distance from the science_machine/alchemy_engine?

O__O

Not really... I'm currently typing this while maintaining a 2 feet distance away from the keyboard... XD 

Thing is, this trick would work if the character would be at a fair distance from the firepit and selects the food to cook on the fire from that spot, making the character move automatically towards the fire and stop at the new designed range.

Works for me! Dang! You'll end up with a monopoly on the Asparagus Nexus! If you keep this up... well... just keep it up :D

Hey ailailou, thanks for the bump, I'm glad my mod is working out.

I actually did try to change the range of the cooking actions first, but it caused weirdness (mostly rubber-banding) unless all the clients had the mod and the same range, so I ditched that idea and went with the collision.

It can be a little weird if the collision radius is significantly larger than the art, but I figure it would be a fair trade-off in most situations. Also changing the size or simply turning it off is always an option if it causes problems. =)

Archived