Is Klei going to allow paid mods?

I want paid mods. There is pay what you want option. Sadly currently mod creators are gettingonly 25% of the money for sold mods, and that is most lame thing ever. Currently Valve got on full greed mode and no one should buy any mods from workshop cause its not supporting the modder but gives greedy Valve more money.

Paid mods is an interesting idea. That'd increase the mods quality and quantity. But I'd say they should be somehow made available to general public either after some time or when some payment limit reached, IDK. Or may be a crowdfunding is a solution. This is a tough question though.

I'm hoping that this paid mod thing is a flop.

Me too.

Not that I want community content makers to not have cool incentives, but valve is in need of a reality check. Maybe when valve decides to put more than a quarter of the effort in to doing neat community things, then I can get on board with this.

I am mad at them for lots of things though.

I feel bad for the way the modders who were pulled into this got treated, Valve certainly deserves every bit of criticism it's received and then some, but the modders, who are not big faceless corporations that can scoff at community upheaval got really screwed here.

I hope Klei joins the curated workshop. If certain mods won't have official support or be properly credited when it's clearly improving the experience of the community (and in this case I mean the localization projects) then it might at least help the creators keep going.

I really hope Klei doesn't jump on board here... I don't think they will, but eh, I don't call the shots for their company.

I'm also also on #TeamFlop. For every modder out there who desires payment for their contribution, there will be more who can and will reverse-engineer it for free. Nickel-and-diming the community via mods reeks of the mobile P2W trend, which I actively avoid no matter how much I want the game. I understand that developers deserve to get paid for their hard work, but that's why they get jobs in the field.

The lack of discipline on Steam, overall, speaks volumes. More likely that not, there will be a mod that is neat, but has a price tag that is completely unreasonable. If anyone has watched the most recent Jimquisition episode, then you'll get an idea of what i'm talking about. $15?

That is the price I would pay for a fully-fledged addon pack, with tons of new crap, quests, voice acting, so on so forth. $15 for a single content chunk is dumb, no matter the quality level.

Obviously, i'm just using Skyrim as an example, but you get the picture.

The lack of discipline on Steam, overall, speaks volumes. More likely that not, there will be a mod that is neat, but has a price tag that is completely unreasonable. If anyone has watched the most recent Jimquisition episode, then you'll get an idea of what i'm talking about. 

Hey, I saw that too.

Seems like Valve is already backtracking on this idea

"Now that you've backed a dump truck of feedback onto our inboxes, we'll be chewing though that, but if you have any further thoughts let us now."

:highly_amused: I can't tell which is funnier. That Valve is purposely adding little jabs at the community for this in their posts, or that they are pretending they don't have dump trucks of emails coming in for stuff like Tf2 problems or greenlight complaints.

Valve, remember Greenlight? That thing Gabe himself said was going to go away because it doesn't work as intended? Brb, gonna play "Grass Simulator"(except it is horribly broken.)

More likely that not, there will be a mod that is neat, but has a price tag that is completely unreasonable.

You mean like how the PC gaming community totally crapped on the idea by releasing a mod of an apple, yes, a piece of fruit, in different resolutions for $30? 

I love you guys.

Archived