How many player could support my server?

Hi everyone, Im playing DST RoG dedicated server and playing from the same machine:

OS W7 64bits

Intel Core2 Quad Q9450 2.67GHz

Ram 8Gb

13 Mods

30mb download 1mb upload

tick rate 15 or 60, 30 dont works properly

sometimes it starts lagging, when 6 player are playing, and idont know what to do....

Is my machine enough powefull?

What can i do to get better gameplay?

PD:I think worldgenoverride.lua isnt working fine, and there is a lot of new variables that doesnt appear in the wiki

Hi Screamer,

im not sure it's problem with number of player

because you can have same lag with 4 players or with 8 players

your machine look good, when you says lag you see bad host?

maybe if you can check your cpu when you have lag

because on the server dedicated you have still 80% - 100% on one core of the CPU

So I think there really is no ideal number of players, we must wait for the servers to be much more stable, which can take time

Hi Screamer,

im not sure it's problem with number of player

because you can have same lag with 4 players or with 8 players

your machine look good, when you says lag you see bad host?

maybe if you can check your cpu when you have lag

because on the server dedicated you have still 80% - 100% on one core of the CPU

So I think there really is no ideal number of players, we must wait for the servers to be much more stable, which can take time

Not always bad host, sometimes appears good host and is unplayable for my friends, all time they have around 30-40 ms ping, when it comes laggy they have 500ms ping....

@ToNiO55, I think he was saying that when a player has high ping, then the server starts to lag (rather than when the server starts to lag, players get high ping). As far as I know this is an open problem that the devs are still looking into (having a high-ping player on the server degrades performance).

@ToNiO55, No, so as I understand it, you could have 5 players on with good ping (because they're close to the server and have good connections), then one leaves and a new player (far away or with a bad connection) joins with a high ping, and this causes the host to lag for everyone and become "Bad Host".

Sometimes a player has 80 ms ping and tell that the game is unplayable, other times we are playing fine and suddenly they all appear with 500ms (good) and starts lagging....

my question is:

Could I use another pc for playing?? does it make better server performance??

PD: How can i do to see my world editing from same pc?? this option appears in grey

it's not going to matter when you're upload is only 1Mbps. You need more than that to host many people. Not to mention it depends where these people are connecting from. Also, if this is hosted at your house you have to take into account other people in your household using the same network which will make your upload even less or if they're streaming HD video and using all the download bandwidth there may not be much bandwidth left for you to be downloading info 

• Developer

@ToNiO55, I think he was saying that when a player has high ping, then the server starts to lag (rather than when the server starts to lag, players get high ping). As far as I know this is an open problem that the devs are still looking into (having a high-ping player on the server degrades performance).

We haven't been able to repro this yet. We tried a number of tests with various combinations of pings and packet loss. Anyone who's able to reproducibly trigger this (bad host due to a playing with someone who has a bag ping) should reach out to us.

• Developer
it's not going to matter when you're upload is only 1Mbps.

It's definitely easy to fill a 1mbit/s upload, and that certainly looks like the weakest link in the original poster's setup.

Is my machine enough powefull? What can i do to get better gameplay?

1) 1mb upload - very very low internet speed. Increase speed of you internet. 10mb upload/download will be enough.

2) Increase CPU speed of single core. It says "2.67GHz" now. But it could be 3+ GHz or even 4+ GHz. It could be "cold" i5 processor which can be easily overclocked.

sometimes it starts lagging, when 6 player are playing, and idont know what to do....

Look at host quality (TAB key ingame). If it says "Good host", you are out of internet bandwidth.

1) 1mb upload - very very low internet speed. Increase speed of you internet. 10mb upload/download will be enough.

2) Increase CPU speed of single core. It says "2.67GHz" now. But it could be 3+ GHz or even 4+ GHz. It could be "cold" i5 processor which can be easily overclocked.

Look at host quality (TAB key ingame). If it says "Good host", you are out of internet bandwidth.

I cant get better internet....   

I was thinking about getting an i7 16gb ram but i cant do anything with my connection

• Developer
I was thinking about getting an i7 16gb ram but i cant do anything with my connection

Yeah, all you can do then is try to make sure your 1mbit upload is as uncongested as possible when you're playing then. Or get a dedicated server so that your internet connection is no longer the limiting factor.

But at least you didn't go buy an even faster PC thinking that would solve the problem. 

Yeah, all you can do then is try to make sure your 1mbit upload is as uncongested as possible when you're playing then. Or get a dedicated server so that your internet connection is no longer the limiting factor.

But at least you didn't go buy an even faster PC thinking that would solve the problem. 

My friend has FTTH 100/10 but his PC OS is windows 8, when he creates the world only he can see it, thats the reason to pla on my server....

We dont know why only he can see the server, and it appears in  http://my.jacklul.com/dstservers/

• Developer

My friend has FTTH 100/10 but his PC OS is windows 8, when he creates the world only he can see it, thats the reason to pla on my server....

We dont know why only he can see the server, and it appears in  http://my.jacklul.com/dstservers/

Even if the server is in the listing, your client won't display it unless it's able to ping that server successfully. It sounds like your friend has router / networking / firewall issues. There are a fair few forum threads dedicated to resolving such issues if you look around.

Archived