Global Player Icons should be core functionality.

By far the most tedious part of the game is joining a new server and asking things like "where's everyone?" or "where's base?" and then trying to get directions.

There's a reason Global Player Icons is one of the most popular mods out there: it provides critical functionality that's missing from the core game.

Klei: please add it to the game as a default option. PvP servers should be able to turn it off but it should be on by default otherwise.

Thanks for reading.

I don't like it to be on by default. It kind of promotes leeching (where people go straight to camp and sit there whining for the older players to bring them food and stuff, instead of getting supplies themselves). Also what @Ghostmin said: it makes it easier for griefers to find your camp and destroy everything.

If I spawn and no one from base camp wants to come fetch me or the directions they're giving via chat are too vague, I just walk around and try to survive until I setup my own base or find theirs.

Maybe it's just me. But I find walking into a camp where everything is already setup very boring.

I actually decline when someone offers to fetch me right away. Uncovering the map by yourself may be lonely and difficult, but it's worth it later when the main campers have logged out and you're alone with a couple of other newbies, and you need to find Pig King, or get a Tentacle Spike, or mine more rocks.

I think the current system is okay. Server hosts who want the mod install it. Players who want the mod choose servers that have it installed.

The exception of course is for Winter. Where freshly spawned players with no access to twigs/saplings can freeze to death easily. But honestly, if the campers don't bother to tell you where camp is or fetch you in Winter, they're probably not good teammates to start with OR they're having trouble surviving in their own camp. Both of which mean you're not very welcome to them, and should probably logout. :( (Or try to survive by yourself. But that's difficult in Winter.)

Edit because: I sounded like one of those elitist DS asses, which I try not to be. It's just, I died a lot from being ignored by the portal at the start. I found that the best way to survive is to learn to live like a nomad and not run into camp immediately. I still fetch everyone who spawns in Winter though. Even if I only have 2 berry bushes and 1 monster meat. Hey, it's fun Starving Together! :D

I meant I can more easy to grief of course if global icon were default.

You guys better offer to Klei another solution. Why griever is grieving is they are boring in this game. I am too.

I will keep suggest some competition content to Klei. This will be much better solution about grievers.

@applebottom, that was not elitist at all, we can't blame players if they're bad but we must encourage them to be independent. Every day I see "hi, where's the base" on day 2 or 3... "help me" or sometimes just "where". Just get out of the portal zone and you'll find food, I found the combination of red cap and butterflies to be efficient for example. If you explore enough you'll find the base eventually, it will be satisfying and you'll have lots of things to offer. I already thought of making a thread to discuss about how it's important to be independent, I may do it later.

My theory is that maybe it's how it works in other survival games, where bases may be easier to make so people think it's the same in DST.

My theory is that maybe it's how it works in other survival games, where bases may be easier to make so people think it's the same in DST.

Hmm I haven't thought of it that way. But it makes sense, moreso from those other types of games. They probably come from those games where you click on a peasant and order it to build a dojo or watchtower while you're off attacking the other camp. Then come back to have a geisha massage you for health. (Sorry, my gaming references are old.)

I already thought of making a thread to discuss about how it's important to be independent, I may do it later.

Tag me if you do. :-) I would like to follow/talk in that thread.

I think a craftable item like a "Beacon" that shows the direction it is in all times would be very useful, and since it would be a structure that you must put up, each group/server could choose how to utilize them, and whether to utilize them at all.

If you don't want people to be led to your base, you could simply choose not to build one. You could also use it to mark other useful locations, farming areas, villages, etc, so that you could more easily walk there without pulling the map out over and over.

Edit: Perhaps you could affix a gem to them in order to color code them for ease of use. It would be very convenient to players, since you could just go "Hey guys, head over to blue" or "The pig king is at red," etc.

I think a craftable item like a "Beacon" that shows the direction it is in all times would be very useful, and since it would be a structure that you must put up, each group/server could choose how to utilize them, and whether to utilize them at all.

This is pretty much how signal fires work in Global Positions, although they're not permanent.

As in the suggestion thread for signal fires a long time ago, I think it would be a great fit with the game's theme and also provide in-context reasoning for why you could see it from far away. It would certainly be more reasonable to include it than global player icons (because it gives players control over disclosing their location), although perhaps as an entirely separate type of fire instead of a function of existing fires.

Honestly, perhaps it could be a specific fuel that causes the fire to smoke when added to it? A bundle of grass and twigs would be suitable enough, it doesn't need to be too expensive.

I would be alright with a separate structure as well, but if we're sticking with the fire theme, it would need to be sharply differentiated to not just be a fire pit replacement. I think that is a little bit tricky. I guess if it gave off little to no actual light and just a whole ton of smoke, that would be fine. 

It isn't that I would actively oppose global icons, it's just that I agree that something that feels ingame-justified would be even better.

Honestly, perhaps it could be a specific fuel that causes the fire to smoke when added to it? A bundle of grass and twigs would be suitable enough, it doesn't need to be too expensive.
 Yeah, the default behavior in Global Positions is that campfires and firepits that have charcoal used to fuel them will smoke and be visible on the map (and with an indicator at the edge of the screen) for the duration that the charcoal adds.

Archived