How can I kill a beefalo?

I know this has been asked before but I want to know the best tactic for killing them I only want to kill like 1 or 2. I would also like to know to set one on fire. Am I supposed to smack it a bunch of times with a torch or am I supposed to light stuff around them on fire?

It's a bit tricky.

The normal way I do it is to walk up to an exposed one, give it a whack and run away from the now enraged herd.

As a rule, the herd will pursue you for a while but after a bit they will forget you, leaving only the beefalo you initially hit to chase you. Hitting them will re-enrage the herd so either run really far away with your pursuer or be prepared to repeat this several times.

You could possibly make this process more efficient by luring them into tooth traps (Somewhat tricky, since the rest of the herd tends to catch up while the lead is trying to gore you) or if possible lead them near an enemy such as a tentacle or killer bee nest*, though that's not always available.

(Be careful when luring beefalo into areas with a lot of killer bee nests. They can potentially end up wiping out the whole herd.)

Sometimes, leading hound attacks towards the beefalo will cause them to kill a couple, but most often the beefalo will overwhelm them with numbers.

Ideally you'll want to find a small herd near a road (Possibly build your own out of cobblestone) and use the hit and run strategy to pick them off.

As for burning them, the easiest way to do it is probably to use a fire dart or fire staff.

I've been meaning to try this out, but if you placed tooth traps right in their path and then kept moving them in front of the beefalo, wouldn't that do the trick?

Yes. :D I do this a lot. Just place some traps near them, eventually they will walk to it. If you're near enough, they do that wide-eyed "MOO?" animation where they stand in place, and you can keep resetting the tooth trap under them while they keep going MOO? O___O and stepping on it.

Works with pengulls too when they make a nest in the middle of your camp and you need to eliminate them without inviting The Wrath of The Pengulls.

Aggro and run.  The trick I use though is as soon as they drop aggro, they will start to wander back to their home turf.  Stand right near one, and it will give that "MOO?" animation where it stands in place.  The rest of the herd will wander home, and the one you are standing next to will just stand there.  When the rest of the herd is fully off-screen, then you can start the attack on that singled-out Beefalo. 

Or run away, but run just fast enough to keep only 1 or 2 interested and the rest wil eventually wander off.  Just keep staying barely in front of the two aggro'd and when you are far enough away, feel free to kill.

Yes. :D I do this a lot. Just place some traps near them, eventually they will walk to it. If you're near enough, they do that wide-eyed "MOO?" animation where they stand in place, and you can keep resetting the tooth trap under them while they keep going MOO? O___O and stepping on it.

Works with pengulls too when they make a nest in the middle of your camp and you need to eliminate them without inviting The Wrath of The Pengulls.

Awesome. I thought it would work for pengulls as well :D

Archived