Any suggestions on how to defeat 2 spider queens attacking at once?

Hey guys!

Like many of you I let some pesky clumped together spider nests linger far too long. Now I have 2 spider queens chasing after me. I burn't a meat effigy already trying to kite them (just my luck that they kept on spawning warrior spiders).

I don't have ready access to pigs or bees so I'm looking for some kind of kiting/trap/flute/etc. strategy to overcome them and future spider nests (hopefully will have pigs by then). Any suggestions?

fire

Lots and lots and lots of fire.

bribing a pig army also works well too.

After you've gotten ahold of spider eggs, you can also start making spider hats, which pretty much allow you to kill a queen with her own minions. word of warning though, if you see spiders coming after you, quickly unequip and re-equip the spider hat and they turn back against the queen.

also, if you're lucky, you can get the spider queens to fight each other, though you MAY need to kite them to each other and bait them into attacking.

Edited by qwerm

You know, the first and only time I have ever had more than one spider queen come after me at once, I ran. I ran and came back a couple days later to find them still there, and they had spawned a gaggle@&%* of spiders. I remember taking the tactic of whacking the giant mob of spiders and then running until I got far enough away that I only had a few still following me. Offed those. Repeated until the horde was cleared out. Went in to engage the queens via kiting and found that one of them had turned into a level 1 spider den. I killed the one queen that was still up and moving about, and then destroyed the level 1 spider den. I kinda feel like if it were I in your situation, I would try to kite the spider queens first.

SUCCESS!!!

Although I can't say it was because I managed to defeat them. As Ora said the Queen seems to spawn when its a Tier 3 leaving a Tier 1 behind then moving to a new location and starting a new Tier 1 colony. I can't say I wasn't well prepared leaving a row of spike traps and 10 fire darts (I couldn't even create a meat effigy because they were blocking my best route to supply), but they eventually just hunkered up into a new colony.

Thanks for the help anyway guys! A very nice community you have here :)

What would you suggest I do with the rest of the spider colonies? ? I'm thinking of eradicating the nests completely because this was such a stressful experience and they seem to multiply so quickly becoming an unmanageable horde. Maybe I keep 3 nests next to a pig farm I'm planning to put up just for the monster meat and silk?

I can solo a Spider Queen without taking damage, unless the queen spawns a Warrior Spider. What i do, is i go near it, do 3 hits, go back, do 3 hits again, go back, and i repeat until she's dead. It's the sweetest supply of silk if you know how to easily kill her.

For future reference, I would not recommend eradicating spiders from your map. Many things in the game need silk to craft and the only source of silk is spiders. There's also the fact that the best source of monster meat in the game would disappear if you did that as well.

effing spider queens all spider nests on my map are grouped with at least 4-7 in a hovel. everytime i approach a group they all turn into spider queens, totally killing the option of engaging and farming silk leaving only get the hell out

spider hat ran out = runnnnnnnn!

Even when spider hat runs out, the spiders that were on your side will continue to hit the enemy spiders / queen. Moreover, spiders around will see the attacking spiders as enemies, so the spider butchery continues :) I can't get enough of doing that :)

@Kristofuz: Yeah that kiting tactic works wonders and I've used it to kill many Queens and even a double Treeguard spawn. The problem is when you have two queens at once coming at you. It's difficult to get them to attack you at the same time so you can dodge then come back and hit them, usually they stagger their attacks meaning either you don't get your hit off OR you take damage when you do. To make matters worse they spawn their spiderlings meaning you're trying to kite 4 opponents at once. Then you have the most rotten luck in the world ever and constantly have warrior spiders being spawned (25% chance... yeah right) and you're left with one hot mess. Honestly the best thing to do is just to wait until the queen forms a new nest and just manage the number of nests from there.

@Ora: Yes I think wiping them out is definitely not the best way to go about it. But you need to manage them otherwise they just go out of control and you have an unmanageable infestation especially if you have a double Queen spawn as I experienced recently. Monster meat is invaluable as is the silk.