Grass tufts all burned down? Let the Grass-hopper help!

Alright, problem:

Fires caused by grievers (most notably Willow players... Maxwell rest her soul) destroy valuable and burnable grass tufts (and saplings and stuff)

A solution to this would be the tumble weeds (RoG) that drop twigs and cut grass (among other things such as trinkets, blue prints and animals/animal parts) but they don't spawn saplings and grass tufts... just the twigs and cut grass...

(I am aware of the devs making these things renewable btw... just pitching a suggestion here...proposing to make a new bee-like mob)

So... the grass-hopper could be a way to replenish grass tufts and saplings... it could "pollinate" a grass tuft or sapling and then "grow" one... like the in-game bee is to flowers...

(great, as I was writing this, it dawned on me that the "grass-hopper" should "eat" the grass much like a perd/gobbler would berries...)

Alright... nevermind...

By the way, I think that getting grass tufts and saplings grow like flowers in RoG during spring could be nice too...

Alright...

Never mind... move along

O___O

I need to take a nap I think...

I like this. There's precedent for punny interpretations of names in the game (butterfly -> butter, for example), so it makes sense that grasshoppers would interact with grass. It would even make sense for them to work just like gobblers but with grass-- a chance to pop out when you harvest grass, and they drop a grass tuft or grass seed if they eat a certain amount of grass.

It would probably make Farnsworth a little sad, though, because he has a neat grasshopper mod :razz:

It would probably make Farnsworth a little sad, though, because he has a neat grasshopper mod

Umm... uhh...

Thanks... (I did not realize...)

The_more_you_know_banner.jpg

O____O

*reads the description of the mod...

So aside from eating them... what else?

So umm... he could... umm... add these to that mod?

3___3

Dagnabbit @rezecib, hahaha

For some reason I was originally envisioning an insect that hopped around and could be "harvested" for grass.

^Well that was what I intended to suggest at first but thought... 

Maybe like 10 grasshoppers land near your camp and try to eat your stuff. O.O

^ something like that... either way, I'd love to see a swarm of locusts/grasshoppers as a seasonal event... maybe during Summer/Fall/Spring?

Hmm... You know what... This might actually be a really good Summer event. Summer generally felt like it lacked special things to do-- the only things you can do that are specific to summer are get cactus flowers and fight the dragonfly. Maybe the grasshoppers could come in like a swarm of locusts and ravage all your plants? They'd be attracted to dense groups of plants (the calculation could occur at planting time to be more efficient), and they'd chew them up. If you managed to kill them, they'd drop seeds for the things they chewed up. :grin:

Hmm... You know what... This might actually be a really good Summer event. Summer generally felt like it lacked special things to do-- the only things you can do that are specific to summer are get cactus flowers and fight the dragonfly. Maybe the grasshoppers could come in like a swarm of locusts and ravage all your plants? They'd be attracted to dense groups of plants (the calculation could occur at planting time to be more efficient), and they'd chew them up. If you managed to kill them, they'd drop seeds for the things they chewed up.

Yeah!!

But pooping out grass seeds? So we plant these grass seeds in farm plots and... they yield grass? don't shriveled up crops turn to grass anyway? And saplings?

O__O

But I love where you're going with this :)

@Asparagus, Well, I wasn't thinking farmplots exactly, but just something that's a precursor to grass tufts and requires some more effort/time/maintenance to make into grass. Although... growing a grass tuft on a farm plot and then picking the tuft out of it would be kind of hilarious in an awesome way.

@Asparagus, Well, I wasn't thinking farmplots exactly, but just something that's a precursor to grass tufts and requires some more effort/time/maintenance to make into grass. Although... growing a grass tuft on a farm plot and then picking the tuft out of it would be kind of hilarious in an awesome way.

OOOOhhhhh

O___O

ALRIGHT!! hahaha

So what would it look like? a sprout of some sort? (like reuse the crop growth animation excluding the final form where leaves are spread out?)

So yeah, I think they could work like this:
Grasshopper-spawners with a few grasshoppers
are spawned during the world generation.
They're occasionally in savannahs and (in RoG)
also like a bunch in the little savannah
areas that are sometimes in deserts.
They are hopping around, but slowly,
because they're so small. Similar to gobblers,
they try to eat every grass near them.
When you kill them, they can drop grass (60%),
grass hopper meat(20%) or grass seeds(20%).
They respawn within 5 days, but despawn when winter starts.
They are a lot more common during (RoG) summer and, during summer,
maybe similar to hounds, with a bigger amount and a bigger chance
for it to happen the more days pass and also a warning sound
(maybe a buzz sound) a grasshopper swarm can land.
Like between 5 and 20 grasshoppers (depending on days) land
near the grass farm(if there is one) and also giant grasshoppers that
slowly eats the grass plants and can attack with like 10 damage.
Oh, and of course the grass seeds can be planted on a farm to get
a grass plant.

When you kill them, they can drop grass (60%), grass hopper meat(20%) or grass seeds(20%).

Mmm... protein :)

They are a lot more common during (RoG) summer and, during summer, maybe similar to hounds, with a bigger amount and a bigger chance for it to happen the more days pass and also a warning sound (maybe a buzz sound) a grasshopper swarm can land.

Or to make it easy, we can recycle the hound spawn event and just replace the hounds with grasshoppers... they land on screen of the player and just wander around looking for any vegetation to consume... from grass tufts to crops... with this, I think some new forms of defense should be made (more content! :) )

Oh, and of course the grass seeds can be planted on a farm to get a grass plant.

XD I knew it!! 

Archived