Lag with only ten people on an i7

Using the dedicated server software, all players (including myself) have noticed that there is lag when more than ten people are on the server.

My specifications are:-

Intel® Core i7-4790 CPU@3.60ghz 

8GB RAM

64bit Windows 7

512gb SSD

Before the dedicated server was released I found I could run the DST client/host solution and have around 20 players online before people started to complain of lagging, and if anything I have less mods now than when I ran it non-dedicated.

Shouldnt the above specs be enough to run ten people without any non network lag(the client pings, including my own are mostly below 200).

Also, does it impact performance greatly running the client/dedicated server from the above system?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

i have the same problem with my server dedicated

mainly the processor that is often overloaded

(Intel Xeon W3520 - 24Gb - Debian 7 Wheezy 64 Bits - 2To HDD)

initially I have made several servers but I soon realized that the processor was 100% used per core with 12 players on the server, I had to delete several servers to have only 2 servers instead of 6 and keep minimum of stability

example with some servers:

150131011658319351.png

we should wait just dedicated server is more stable, just be patient, the developers as are probably already aware

I think the problem is general for all admin either windows or linux

3.6GHz is very good.

But lags also depends on count of objects near players.

So probably 10 is the maximum for standart world at 3.6GHz.

However you could change world options, reduce objects, and you will be able to keep more people (up to 15).

• Developer

If all goes well the next update will have the profiler enabled (on Windows as well) - if you are interested in improved server performance (I know I am) you could greatly help me out by grabbing a profile (especially when it's behaving erratic) and sending it to me. It'll take only a few seconds (and yes, the game will lag during those seconds) but it'll give me a lot more insight in servers under load.

I'll post when it goes live, with instructions on how to capture a profile.

If all goes well the next update will have the profiler enabled (on Windows as well) - if you are interested in improved server performance (I know I am) you could greatly help me out by grabbing a profile (especially when it's behaving erratic) and sending it to me. It'll take only a few seconds (and yes, the game will lag during those seconds) but it'll give me a lot more insight in servers under load.

I'll post when it goes live, with instructions on how to capture a profile.

if we can help you,it would be a pleasure

I guess it takes time

thank you again for your game and all of your team

• Developer

bizziboi will post instructions for how to profile on windows, but for those on linux there are already instructions available in another thread. Long story short, use "perf" and tell us what functions are at the top.

Archived