recommended CPU for 4-6 player ?

How old is old?  Since a dedicated server isn't doing anything graphical, it should hum along nicely with just about any kind of dual-core (at least) processor so that your OS and the server can run processes at the same time.  I just highly suggest that you run Ubuntu without the graphical desktop installed, command line only baby!

I'm not sure the devs have done much testing on older CPUs, so to be honest, if you are and you're doing testing, it might be fruitful if you post what kind of CPU you're using and let us know how it works.  ;)

Yeah, that should be plenty good enough.  I wouldn't run a bunch of extra stuff on it if possible; the more you can just make it dedicated to Don't Starve, the better it will run.  In fact, if you want to only run a dedicated DST server on it, you could reinstall Ubuntu leaving off all of the graphical desktop stuff, and I'd think it should handle 30+ players.

• Developer
I'm not sure the devs have done much testing on older CPUs, so to be honest, if you are and you're doing testing, it might be fruitful if you post what kind of CPU you're using and let us know how it works. 

Yes, if anyone has such stats to share I'd love to get them. Specs and how many users you can handle and how it behaves over time are rather useful information :) Even on newer CPUs. There's just so many different setups out there that it's really hard to get a handle on overall performance.

Yes, if anyone has such stats to share I'd love to get them. Specs and how many users you can handle and how it behaves over time are rather useful information :-) Even on newer CPUs. There's just so many different setups out there that it's really hard to get a handle on overall performance.

Is there an option within the Dedicated Server to send usage information to you guys? I'd be more than happy to enable that to help out with things.

• Developer
Is there an option within the Dedicated Server to send usage information to you guys? I'd be more than happy to enable that to help out with things.

Not currently, I'll run it by the team. At this moment I'd be most interested in overall experience on broad classes of hardware.

Not currently, I'll run it by the team. At this moment I'd be most interested in overall experience on broad classes of hardware.

Is there a good place to report it? I can keep an eye on CPU usage when we play tonight. 

• Developer

Hey @tehg

Heh, currently, no, there's no place to report it. I guess we'd have to think about what exactly to report, since things can be dependent on so many factors (mods, world-size, world-age, number of players, truly dedicated or shared machine, host memory, background processes, netspeed and probably a million things that don't come to mind at the moment) and I wouldn't want it to be a 10 page survey either.

....but if you'd post your perf in a way that makes sense to you with an indication of underlying hardware (maybe make it a 'report your server stats' thread) I'd really appreciate it as performance is definitely a point of focus for me, and it'll give me (and others) a reference point.

I'm running a DST server on a 1GiB Digital Ocean droplet (Ubuntu 14.10 64 bit) and configured the game to generate a huge world and to use a tick rate of 30. It seems that it can handle 7-8 players on a not-too-old world easily but when more players are connecting (8-9+), rubber-banding gets a problem although the players' pings don't change. If you want to host more players you need a better machine I guess. The 1GiB droplet is probably a low-end solution for hosting small DST servers.

model name      : Quad-Core AMD Opteron Processor 2352
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 2100.000
cache size      : 512 KB
cpu cores       : 4

-> Virtual privat server

Running DST/Tick60 (up to 4ppl), Ts3 (<5ppl), Css (empty) simultaneously. No lag in ts, sometimes the host in dst goes from good to bad. Sometime there a little lags. I guess, it is caused by dst-beta. Most time it runs smoothly.

-> Virtual privat server

Running DST/Tick60 (up to 4ppl), Ts3 (<5ppl), Css (empty) simultaneously. No lag in ts, sometimes the host in dst goes from good to bad. Sometime there a little lags. I guess, it is caused by dst-beta. Most time it runs smoothly.

2100 :)

This is the only number which tells everything about quality of your host.

P.S. btw I have 3.4GHz :p

• Developer

One core should be fine, the game is not really multi-threaded (especially the dedicated server) so any other cores would only be running stuff other than the game proper.

If anyone's feeling really adventurous, there's always the option to profile the game when you're running it. Get some people playing on your linux dedicated server, create whatever degenerate condition you want to profile (I think we're mostly interested in profiles of degenerate cases, things where the game runs even more slowly than it should) and run something like:

# perf record --call-graph fp -a -g -p `pidof ./dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer` -o /tmp/dontstarve.profile

# perf report -G -i /tmp/dontstarve.profile

And then tell bizziboi where all your CPU time is going so he can beat his head against the keyboard in frustration until an idea for optimizing it comes out. :-)

Be forewarned, profiling your server will make it even slower, so maybe tell your players before you start and don't leave perf record running TOO long.

One core should be fine, the game is not really multi-threaded (especially the dedicated server) so any other cores would only be running stuff other than the game proper.

If anyone's feeling really adventurous, there's always the option to profile the game when you're running it. Get some people playing on your linux dedicated server, create whatever degenerate condition you want to profile (I think we're mostly interested in profiles of degenerate cases, things where the game runs even more slowly than it should) and run something like:

# perf record --call-graph fp -a -g -p `pidof ./dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer` -o /tmp/dontstarve.profile

# perf report -G -i /tmp/dontstarve.profile

And then tell bizziboi where all your CPU time is going so he can beat his head against the keyboard in frustration until an idea for optimizing it comes out. :-)

Be forewarned, profiling your server will make it even slower, so maybe tell your players before you start and don't leave perf record running TOO long.

Hi Nome,

thx you very much,it's interesting

what kind of linux you have to try this command?

debian? ubuntu? redhat? slackware?

unfortunately it doesn't work on my debian wheezy

yet the required package is installed

perf record --call-graph fp -a -g -p `pidof ./dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer` -o /tmp/dontstarve.profile

/usr/bin/perf: line 24: exec: perf_3.10: not found

E: linux-tools-3.10 is not installed.

apt-get install linux-tools

Unpacking linux-tools (from .../linux-tools_3.2+46_all.deb) ...

Setting up linux-tools (3.2+46) ...

apt-cache search linux-tools

linux-tools - Performance analysis tools for Linux (meta-package)

linux-tools-2.6 - Performance analysis tools for Linux (dummy package)

linux-tools-3.2 - Performance analysis tools for Linux 3.2

apt-get install linux-tools-3.10

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

E: Unable to locate package linux-tools-3.10

E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-tools-3.10'

perf record --call-graph fp -a -g -p `pidof ./dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer` -o /tmp/dontstarve.profile

/usr/bin/perf: line 24: exec: perf_3.10: not found

E: linux-tools-3.10 is not installed.

• Developer

Looks like the kernel that came with your dist is 3.2 based, but you're running a 3.10 kernel. perf is super kernel dependent, so you'll have to find the stuff that goes with the kernel you're running.

Looks like the kernel that came with your dist is 3.2 based, but you're running a 3.10 kernel. perf is super kernel dependent, so you'll have to find the stuff that goes with the kernel you're running.

Indeed I have not the right kernel, but apparently my host is stay on this latest version, I'll do with them, thank you anyway :-)

so maybe it's not possible for me because the last stable kernel on debian wheezy is 3.18.5

https://www.kernel.org/

maybe it's not kernel problem, i'm going to keep looking

-> Virtual privat server

Need to correct my statement: 4 Players -> Host bad (all the time)

Now trying with Tick 30.

Hi nome,

so i have update my kernel on 3.2

and now your command works fine

i have just removes "fp" on your command because he says:

fp: No such file or directory

(and I do not know what is fp)

so now it's works

I would like to know what you need?

need to test on different settings? (survival,endless,wilderness,mods,without-mods?

I need to execute this command for a long time? how many time you need?

If this is the case I will have to go through a script because the terminal block remains on this command

of course,perf report -G -i /tmp/dontstarve.profile works too

I hope to be able to help you in that way :-)

• Developer

To clarify what I said in my earlier post on this topic, just a profile of the game basically running isn't too helpful - we can run those ourselves and already have been. What is useful is if you can trigger a degenerate state, a state where the game performs even worse than normal. That's where your profile becomes valuable - we can spin up a server and connect 16 players that aren't doing anything, but we can't even hope to replicate all the crazy things all you guys are going to do with your worlds. :)

To clarify what I said in my earlier post on this topic, just a profile of the game basically running isn't too helpful - we can run those ourselves and already have been. What is useful is if you can trigger a degenerate state, a state where the game performs even worse than normal. That's where your profile becomes valuable - we can spin up a server and connect 16 players that aren't doing anything, but we can't even hope to replicate all the crazy things all you guys are going to do with your worlds. :-)

understood

I saw this lag problem when I have 8 players on my server

I will try to execute this command when there are lag on my server

later, i going add dontstarve.profile as soon on the post :-)

if you need other information on my server dedicated do not hesitate

so i have record 2 file when i have see bad host and have some big lags on the server and of course i have make that when my server is full

my server: 8 slots - wilderness - 590 days

Mod:

More DST Characters

Respawnable Gears

Nature's Still Wild

Renewable World

DST RoG Character

Simple Protection

Global Player Icons

http://kfkserver.com/download/dont_starve/dontstarve.profile

http://kfkserver.com/download/dont_starve/dontstarve.profile.old

Archived