For the people who had access to this during beta.

Are there special considerations to make while modding for dedicated servers?

(Apart from manually updating things.)

Like removing ThePlayer from host code?

Or having to replace TheWorld.ismastersim with something else like TheNet:GetIsServer()?

Or the above actually doesn't matter and it's just like modding for somebody who hosts and plays?

Also, first non red!

@DarkXero, Yep, I definitely had a couple of crashes in my mods when they were run on dedicated servers. You can check with TheNet:IsDedicated(). It's not as simple as just making sure ThePlayer and such don't get called, a lot of other things don't exist. You can look at DST RoG Characters-- I had to check in the modmain before modifying IsRecipeValid to support character-specific crafting recipes.

I think for the most part, anywhere you will be calling ThePlayer will probably not be running on a dedicated server, anyway.

TheWorld.ismastersim still definitely works on dedicated servers. TheNet:GetIsServer() as well.

So it will be more testing, rezecib.

I made a dedicated lan server to try and join it by myself as a client to speed up mod testing.

But I can't give myself privileges, because when I put my steam/offline ID into an adminlist, the server gets them, not me.

Any workarounds for this?

Maybe using that alternative configuration directory command that I can't make function for whatever reason?

• Developer

@DarkXero

dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe [-conf_dir <AlternativeDirectory>]

so something like "dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe -conf_dir DST_Server

This would be for running the server exe outside of Steam, in Steam you can right click, Properties, General Tab, and then Set Launch Options.

@DarkXero

dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe [-conf_dir <AlternativeDirectory>]

so something like "dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe -conf_dir DST_Server

PeterA, thank you. It also was in the wiki.

I was trying to do that. Incredibly, I screwed it up 5 times.

Then I noticed I was putting config_dir. Damn.

It works as expected.

PeterA, thank you. It also was in the wiki.

I was trying to do that. Incredibly, I screwed it up 5 times.

Then I noticed I was putting config_dir. Damn.

It works as expected.

Don't worry DarkXero, I too did that the first day I got the dedicated server software. I nagged at PeterA about it for about 5-10 minutes before realizing I was typing it wrong. I vote to add an additional command argument of config_dir as well so that you can use conf_dir or config_dir.

On a semi unrelated note, making a lan dedicated server means that if you host and join as a client from the same computer, both host player and client player will have the same ID, and the host player will receive the admin benefits.

Shouldn't this be happening to online dedicateds too?

Did somebody try making a dedicated, giving himself admin privileges, and joining it from the same computer?

The conf_dir is very useful to setup settings and see what sessions are for which world, but my offline ID remains the same.

Archived