Definition of "Let's Play!"

pdodd

I feel dumb asking this question but here goes:

What exactly is a Let's Play episode / series?

I get the general idea of it; it's people recording themselves playing the game, usually with commentary. But I'm wondering if I'm missing anything. Is there anything special about "Let's Play" recording/streaming that makes it different than any other ol' recording/streaming? Or is "Let's Play" just a term folks have ended up using that means "recording/streaming of playing the game with commentary"?

A term, indeed; though Let's Plays will have more than one gameplay with commentary, it'll be a series of commentaries of someone's adventure in a game.

lol I remember way back in the old days of youtube where they were just called playthroughs or walkthroughs, then all of a sudden one day I just saw videos titled Let's Play everywhere.

lol I remember way back in the old days of youtube where they were just called playthroughs or walkthroughs, then all of a sudden one day I just saw videos titled Let's Play everywhere.

playthroughs/walkthroughs actually are something different. These videos usually come with no or not much commentary, and the commentary is just about the game and what is happeneing, why something is done the way it is done etc, while a let's play always has commentary, and this commentary does not need to be related too much to what is happening on the screen. No doubt let's plays evolved of the video type you mentioned, but they are indeed different.

There's a good Lets Play, which is done by an experienced player who provides useful information on the way through. This was the original format for a Lets Play which is done in more of a walkthrough style. And there's a bad Lets Play, where the only interesting content is the commentator(s) and the stuff that they say. Typically this person is blindly playing the game and rambles about him or herself acting as a personality.

Having discovered the absence of skill and presence of personality, you are more likely to be successful. Funny that isnt it, be good at a game and yet be less popular. Well, thats the trend anyway lol. Thats why i transitioned into more Walkthrough style content.

Edited by Xuhybrid

I dunno if you can classify those two styles as "good" and "bad"... it all depends on what you want out of the Let's Play.

If you just want to see the game - a visual Demo, if you will - than both styles can be equally useful.

If you've played the game but want to master it, than the Something Awful Informative style is going to be better for you.

If you want pure entertainment, then the edge is going to go to the Personality Plays While Yakking style.

I wouldn't say one is "good" and one is "bad" when both styles have ups and downs and appeal to different audiences.

Sure, everyone has their preferences. Lots of people watch Tobuscus but does that mean he puts effort into his Lets Play content... no, he can churn it out regularly with very little effort and get tons of views. Whereas someone who takes a few days to a week to put together content and material before making a video does not always enjoy this. There are far more of style b than style a yet style a takes the most skill and time.