Does it make the game less fun to use mods?

bigpak

I have seen some mods that look pretty cool like throwable rocks that do 50 damage apparently. I have an issue with balance. I myself can never know if it is overpowered or not. Should I just not even worry about that and just have fun or what? Diggable reeds etc, quick harvesting of saplings and grass etc.

What should I do?

Yeah, basically what Simplex said. The best example is infinite (usually craftable) thulecite (a rare cave ore), there are several mods which allow for that as of now:

-one requires one orange gem (finite resource!) and one nightmare soul thingie

-one requires one gold nugget and one nightmare

-one requires two of each, at the caves crafting station

-one adds it to earthquakes as a rare chance

-my own mod (IRC) requires you to craft a special machine, before you can make it with two of each

That was just off the top of my head, surely other mods also allow for that.

As you see, it really depends on your opinion. If you can't estimate, you could hope for good comments, or look at other mods by that author.

EDIT: Sometimes it is obvious, (for example the jukebox mod) as these mods don't give you any advantage in the first place

Sometimes other UNBALANCE MODS are fun at first but boring in the end ( YA KNOW I'VE ALREADY EXPERIENCED IT MANY TIMES BECAUSE I DO LOVE MODS :emmersed: ) . A sure thing that you'll ended up to quit the game and find another interesting mods.I highly recommend a mod that doesn't affect the thrill and the balance of the game like Always on Status , RPG HUD ETC. ETC.

It depends. For me I used mods to add minor perks to assist me in game.

I use health mod to check hp of opponents and Abigail so that I don't overuse her till she dies.

I use map revealers sometimes to immediately find a good spot to settle down or when I'm reluctant to explore.

I also use storm cellar mod to organise my stuff. An overpowered chest that is fireproof, cannot be wrecked by bosses and hold 81 items, but requires ridiculous amount of resources.

It really varies from person to person, I think.  When I first started playing, I tried several cheaty mods such as fast moving, 99 items to a stack, and mods that increase the yield from mining and chopping trees.  I quickly found that they were killing the fun factor and dumped them.  I have still use other mods that others might call cheaty.  Map revealer, inventory sort, and auto-retrap.  They do make the game easier, but for me they still make the game more enjoyable, not less.

The only way to find out if a mod you are interested in is actually fun for you is for you to try it.  If you like it, fine, if not, disable the thing.  No harm no foul.

It really varies from person to person, I think.  When I first started playing, I tried several cheaty mods such as fast moving, 99 items to a stack, and mods that increase the yield from mining and chopping trees.  I quickly found that they were killing the fun factor and dumped them.  I have still use other mods that others might call cheaty.  Map revealer, inventory sort, and auto-retrap.  They do make the game easier, but for me they still make the game more enjoyable, not less.

The only way to find out if a mod you are interested in is actually fun for you is for you to try it.  If you like it, fine, if not, disable the thing.  No harm no foul.

I am one of those people that actually may not know what they like, and usually goes by others rules/gameplay style. I don't know why, but I will take your advice since you told me that and will enable all of them and then try it out for an hour or two and see what ones I like and what ones I don't. I appreciate everyones answers, however I have one more question.

This mod I had changed what rocks looked like on the ground as when you would throw them it would look like 3 small rocks (default rock image) and now it's changed to a small stone, I do not like this and I was wondering could I just take the original image from don't starve and replace that one?

99 Max Stacks mod is not a cheat (SORRY BUT IT INSULTS ME BY CALLING SOME OF MY FAVORITE MOD A "CHEAT" ) . Yes , it makes our items stack up to 99 so our inventory will not get full easily , though it is hard to say that this mod is a CHEATY A ONE.

Different strokes, Prince, different strokes.  I do consider it to cheaty because it reduces the time management element of the game.  But at the same time, you're right.  It isn't cheaty when you use it because you don't consider it to be so.  There are people out there who consider using any mods at all to be cheating.  They're right in the way they play because that's how they want their game to play.  My use of Map Revealer might feel very cheaty to someone else and that's fine.

To me it seems that Don't Starve is more about the journey, not the destination.  If you're having fun as you do it, then you're doing it right.  If you want to feel insulted that a certain mod seems to cheaty to some other player, well, then I hope that's fun for you as well.

Sorry, Bigpak, but I don't know about your question about the rocks.  I would be inclined to say that if any changes  you make don't crash your game, and add to your enjoyment of the game, then your golden.  But that's just my opinion of course.

Different strokes, Prince, different strokes.  I do consider it to cheaty because it reduces the time management element of the game.  But at the same time, you're right.  It isn't cheaty when you use it because you don't consider it to be so.  There are people out there who consider using any mods at all to be cheating.  They're right in the way they play because that's how they want their game to play.  My use of Map Revealer might feel very cheaty to someone else and that's fine.

To me it seems that Don't Starve is more about the journey, not the destination.  If you're having fun as you do it, then you're doing it right.  If you want to feel insulted that a certain mod seems to cheaty to some other player, well, then I hope that's fun for you as well.

Sorry, Bigpak, but I don't know about your question about the rocks.  I would be inclined to say that if any changes  you make don't crash your game, and add to your enjoyment of the game, then your golden.  But that's just my opinion of course. 

Alright I appreciate it and everyone elses help. Thank you!

99 Max Stacks mod is not a cheat (SORRY BUT IT INSULTS ME BY CALLING SOME OF MY FAVORITE MOD A "CHEAT" ) . Yes , it makes our items stack up to 99 so our inventory will not get full easily , though it is hard to say that this mod is a CHEATY A ONE.

I completely disagree.   I think the 99 stack mod is one of the bigger "cheat" mods.  Inventory management is one of the major aspects of this game that make it hard.   When I ran with the 99 stack mod it made this game 100 times easier to me.  

However you shouldn't be insulted,  My friend was telling me I use cheat mode because I use smart crock-pot and where's my beefalo.  These don't make the game any easier to me they just make it more fun.  Instead of planting down signs everywhere in game and keeping lengthy notes on where items where, now I can spend more time enjoying the game.  I no longer have to keep at tabbing to look up recipes.

If inventory management is not one of the things that makes this game hard for you then who cares what someone else thinks?

I didn't use mods for a long time, but recently I found one that I liked cuz it made sense. It adds backpack & amulet equipment slots, giving you a total of 5.  It always bugged the hell out of me that I could wear clothing or a backpack or an amulet around my neck, but only one at a time.  This does make the game easier in a few ways, and makes some equipment a lot more useful, but for me it fixes a logical problem that's irritated me since day 1.

And yeah, increasing all stack sizes to 99 is quite cheaty.

IMHO you should play through the vanilla game first, just until you get bored, and then add mods in to spice things up. But honestly don't starve is first and foremost a single player game, so nobody can fault you for using mods at any point in the game, even cheat mods, like 99 stacks, and craftable uncraftables.

I'd say if you're trying to max your fun with this game out, play it vanilla first, and then browse the mods and look at them critically thinking "does this sound fun?" if it does sound like a fun mod, try it out, if it isn't uninstall it.

I completely disagree.   I think the 99 stack mod is one of the bigger "cheat" mods.  Inventory management is one of the major aspects of this game that make it hard.   When I ran with the 99 stack mod it made this game 100 times easier to me.  

However you shouldn't be insulted,  My friend was telling me I use cheat mode because I use smart crock-pot and where's my beefalo.  These don't make the game any easier to me they just make it more fun.  Instead of planting down signs everywhere in game and keeping lengthy notes on where items where, now I can spend more time enjoying the game.  I no longer have to keep at tabbing to look up recipes.

If inventory management is not one of the things that makes this game hard for you then who cares what someone else thinks?

Really? That's a cheat mod? I've never had it because by the time I found out about it, I had most of the crockpot stuff memorized anyway, but seriously?

Though I've gotta agree on the beefalo one, if you want to know where the beefalo are, build them a pen.

Think always on status is a cheat mod because of the cold and naughtiness counters? I'm not sure, but I sure do use it.

But like everyone's saying, different strokes, what is a cheat for one person isn't for another.

As many people before me have said, it really depends on "you" and the mod.  In the end, what matters is does the mod in question enhance or take away fun from the game?  Don't worry about what everyone else is doing.

The rest of this post explains how I came to this conclusion (so if you don't care about my "journey" then skip this).

I first tried out mods because I was always confused as to which chest held the stockpile of whatever random supplies I acquired during my day away from the base.  Despite how organized I was, I still spent most nights running around my base searching for the chest with tentacle spots, nightmare fuel or whatever random item I was trying to sort.  Due to this, I ended up with a much larger container that makes my life easier but doesn't take away from what I feel is the most important aspects of the game.

As time has gone on, I tried many other mods and use probably 10 or so at all times now.  Most of them save me time allowing me to be more effecient.  I could play it without any of them, however, I enjoy the game much more and have probably logged more hours because I have them installed.

At the end of the day, everyone plays the game differently.  Ideally, they probably should.  If Klei didn't want there to be variety they wouldn't have made it so every world was different, with multiple characters/playstyles to choose and supported the introduction to mods in the first place.

Yeah to be honest you shouldn't mind, just play what you like.

To be honest I always love challenge so I usually don't like mods (because their only result is "making the game easier", mods which increase difficulty are way too scarce).

For example you think smarter crockpot mean "no help", obviously it helps you because you can't make wet goop for example.

Where's my beefalo shows for example the location of beefalo (but tbh if you don't play once every month, you know where the beefalo are, there are not 100 savana in the game), but it also shows the mushrooms, which is tbh way too strong. Mushrooms are so nice.

You need life ? Open your map and go eat a uncook blue mush (+20 life), you are crazy ? eat a green mushroom cooked, You need vegetables ? go pick some mushrooms.

99stacks : You are going to farm wood in the big forest where spiders are here, you don't need backpack since you can stack 99 wood on one slot, and you have a armor which means spiders are even less scary. and so on..

You don't really even need mods to make the game easier, modify the options of the game (more ressources, less monsters, long day(this one is making me throwing up though, no sanity issue, no night issue) and so on...)

---

It's lieing to yourself when you think you are not making the game easier by using this or that mod. The scale/impact is just +/- important.

And cheating, what is cheating anyway ? Seriously everyone has his each opinion on it, so ugh, I prefer to use "make the game easier" than using the term "cheating".

Anyway, whatever, play what you enjoy the most.

Yes, "make the game easier" is more accurate than saying "cheaty", since there really isn't any element or competition in Don't Starve (unless you are in an forum published challenge run, or playing DST with PVP).  I was saving some keystrokes when I used the first term, but since I was responding to a question from a newer player about the use of mods I probably shouldn't have.

Yes, "make the game easier" is more accurate than saying "cheaty", since there really isn't any element or competition in Don't Starve (unless you are in an forum published challenge run, or playing DST with PVP).  I was saving some keystrokes when I used the first term, but since I was responding to a question from a newer player about the use of mods I probably shouldn't have.

I dunno about the with PVP thing, I mean, even with co-op DST I wouldn't want my friends to use certain mods that "make the game easier"

to be clear here, I'm not talking about mods that add icons to the minimap, or mods that tell you what you're gonna be making in the crockpot, those are fine, but I wouldn't want someone on the server using, say, 99stacks or more damage or something, it just wrecks game balance.

Archived