Not enough starting flint

It seems like every time I start on a server that has had a few players already logged in that the flint is very hard to find.

The first people in seem to harvest it all (and I don't blame them). If you have no flint, then no ax and no pickax to get resources.

Is there a way to implement a type of random flint drop? I think the meteorites are a good solution to the lack of rocks issue, but I think the starting flint issue needs to be addressed.

First thing you most likely looking for is golden veins, and while searching for it, you most likely will collect some flint (at last two to make pickaxe and collect more from veins and rocks) or you will find your mates and they will share some with you. Flint isn't that necessary.

Torches are amazing and people don't use them enough. I see too many people wasting logs and grass at nighttime and just SITTING at the fire when they could have made torches and kept collecting at night (you don't lose any more sanity using a torch at night than you would if you were around a fire unless you're Willow)

You explore more map, have more chances of finding more flint, fiding berries/carrots/seeds and can also get more twigs and grass, counterracting u building the torch in the first place

tl;dr ==== Use Torches. 

Flint is enough in game. If you cant find it when you connect to a world on day 20-30-666... well... you are not from start there. :-) You must be prepared that there are no food\wood\flint\grass and anything else around, especially if the base is near. It is usually a clear field after collecting all theese. :-) But when you play from the start, flint is more than enough, you can find rock boulders in 99,99% cases at first couple days.

I think people need to realize that flint isn't quite as critical on day 1 (winter starts aside, but even then it's doable) as it's made out to be. Grass/Twigs are, but not so much flint. You get grass and twigs, you can keep going until you find the flint you need.

well before they understand the importance of grass and twigs, they gotta understand  that you dont always have to build an axe and chop trees down as their 1st action in life.

I'm surprised to hear so many people argue that flint isn't "necessary" at the start.  Sure, you can survive for awhile, if flint is the only resource you lack, but you can't progress.  You're stuck running around with torches, subsisting off berries and carrots, until you find flint.  

It's certainly possible for a player to go awhile without flint, particularly if they're a veteran, but there's absolutely nothing fun about it.  It's about as much fun as starting in winter with no warm gear.  What's the point?   There is none. 

I'm surprised to hear so many people argue that flint isn't "necessary" at the start.  Sure, you can survive for awhile, if flint is the only resource you lack, but you can't progress.  You're stuck running around with torches, subsisting off berries and carrots, until you find flint.  

It's certainly possible for a player to go awhile without flint, particularly if they're a veteran, but there's absolutely nothing fun about it.  It's about as much fun as starting in winter with no warm gear.  What's the point?   There is none. 

If you can survive without it for a while, then it's not necessary.

And I'm not saying that you don't need flint - because you do. I'm saying you don't need it right off the bat. You can go a couple of days without it - even longer if you find a trail of unpicked berry bushes and a lot of unpicked saplings and grass tufts. This is not the case starting in Winter. In that case - flint is one of the first things you need, so you can make an axe for logs. But to be honest, in the case of flint scarcity and starting in winter -  especially if it's a Wilderness server - You're better off just leaving for a while and coming back when it's Summer again. Will be a lot easier to do that now since the server list is updated to show that now :D yay.

In summer, The only thing(s) you actually need at the start are twigs and grass for torches (unless you are Willow) and rabbit traps. Also possibly for rabbit traps if you can find a firepit to cook the morsels. Otherwise, eat any and all seeds, berries, and (doubtful these will still be around at this point) carrots.

Try playing on a public dedicated ongoing wilderness server where everything has been burned (grass/saplings/berry bushes) except for  a few here and there across the map and you'll realize they are more important at the start than flint. :) You can't build torches, and you're stuck scavenging for seeds until you hit the jackpot of someone's  dead body that hasn't been looted already.

You can survive in Super Mario Bros. for awhile without the D-Pad, that doesn't mean the D-Pad isn't necessary to play the game.  

............. LOL uhhh?

See, the thing is you CAN actually play Don't Starve without flint, whereas you CAN'T actually "play" Mario without being able to move (i.e. using the D-pad)

Not really sure what you were trying to prove with that one. I guess you just wanted to feel witty or something?

I mean, you realize that you can and will find flint eventually right? As in, SOMEWHERE in the map there is still ground flint OR (assuming it's not turned off - no idea why it ever would be) meteor showers - aka respawning ground flint and rocks.

............. LOL uhhh?

See, the thing is you CAN actually play Don't Starve without flint, whereas you CAN'T actually "play" Mario without being able to move (i.e. using the D-pad)

Not really sure what you were trying to prove with that one. I guess you just wanted to feel witty or something?

I mean, you realize that you can and will find flint eventually right? As in, SOMEWHERE in the map there is still ground flint OR (assuming it's not turned off - no idea why it ever would be) meteor showers - aka respawning ground flint and rocks.

You are using some rather biased interpretations of survive and play that I don't fully agree with.

The Super Mario Bro's example was to prove a point.  Just because you can survive doesn't mean you can make progress.  

While it's certainly true that there's likely to be flint on the ground somewhere, it's quite likely to be a long, long ways from the spawn-in portal.  

Flint is a nice-to-have at the start, imo, but it's actually entirely skippable if you can find a graveyard or Pig King.

I've done it plenty of times, as I do my best not to build many of the crappy starter tools since I'm probably going to upgrade them all to golden tools in less than a day anyway.

If it's on the ground, I'll use it and make a pickaxe to make getting the necessary gold easier, of course.  Outside of that, there's only 2 tools that you actually NEED flint for, and neither of them are essential to early survival (or even necessary at all, tbh).

You are using some rather biased interpretations of survive and play that I don't fully agree with.

The Super Mario Bro's example was to prove a point.  Just because you can survive doesn't mean you can make progress.  

While it's certainly true that there's likely to be flint on the ground somewhere, it's quite likely to be a long, long ways from the spawn-in portal.  

What you agree or don't agree with is completely irrelevent to the fact that you're using two completely different types of games to prove your "point" - one that I still feel the ultimate goal at this point is to feel witty or something. 

If flint at spawn is that big of a deal to you - play on a server with the Renewable World mod (I've heard it's very good), or where other players are helpful and will GIVE you some of their stacks of hoarded flint if you join late.

Also - you are using some pretty biased interpretations of progression. Perhaps other players who don't think this is as big a deal as you (like myself) view progression instead of being 100% what items you get as also exploring the whole map? Of which you Certainly can do with just twigs and grass (torches) and picking up seeds and berries and other food here and there. So even without flint, in MY mind at least, you're always "progressing".

No, the lack of flints is not come from the amounts of their generation but come from the players who don't think about other people who come next. 2-3 is enough for one player at day 1 for pickaxe, but several players pick ALL the flints they come across.

Archived