Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together question for devs!

Hello!

So far right now, we have Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together as separate games in our steam library.

I want to ask the developers if upon launch the multiplayer DST will be merged with don't starve. I'm asking this because it will be a pain for having 2 separate games, especially when you will have to buy future DLCs for Don't Starve and then play Don't Starve Together with others with those dlcs, and that don't starve wouldn't even make sense because you can play "singleplayer" in DST as well by hosting a server and playing alone, but hey that's pretty lame thing to do. I know that DST is stand-alone, and it's great for users who don't own it during the beta early access. But upon release I really wish to have only one game in steam Library: Don't Starve and from within it to access singleplayer and multiplayer. Games like medal of honor and call of duty have 2 separate entries in steam library and maaaaaaaaan ...it sucks.

Thank you for your time reading this!

So after release, DST and DS will be two diffirent games.

But...wouldn't some people complain about that, though? If I had never played DS before and I saw DST as separate game in the Steam market, I would automatically assume it's a sequel. And if I ended up playing both games I'd probably think to myself "Hey, they recycled a bunch of content in the sequel and tacked on multiplayer! I feel ripped off!"

Also, if you can create your own server and play solo in DST, wouldn't that completely defeat the purpose of having a singleplayer Don't Starve?

Like CptCalavera said, there will also be DLC specific updates like "Through the Ages" which is planned for DST only. http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/44729-dont-starve-together-roadmap/

As for their change to make separate games this was talked about here if you'd like to read it : http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/45747-will-dst-remove-from-my-steam-account/

Edit: Fixed link! Oops!

@DragonDePlatino, I'm pretty sure the information on the games will clearly state that one is single player and the other multiplayer. This is the current decription. Pretty clear I would say?

"Don't Starve Together is a standalone multiplayer expansion of the uncompromising survival game, Don't Starve."

But yes, some people will complain, some always do :)

@DragonDePlatino, Some mobs will be nearly impossible to take down if you are only one person. And all fight oriented mobs are significantly stronger in DST.

As for resources go. The standard world is larger in DST, but contains the same amount of resources. Those can be change upon world creation though.

And you can change the spawn rate of mobs in DST, just like in DS. but not their strength.

It...makes sense and at the same time it doesn't , that's my opinion. Most of the code is new yeah but...idk... But anyway, its up to them and not us. Whatever the decision they take , we can do nothing about it, no one is pointing a gun to our heads to play the game.

Will Reign of Giants content be added to DST later? I see some features where added in. I just started playing Don't Starve in Nov of this year. A little behind. Love the game. Wish they could have made it one game instead of two. But I understand that coding is not simple. 

Archived