Will DST remove from my steam account?

• Developer

No. Regardless of whether you got DST from being in the closed beta, from buying the Frontier Pack, or by waiting for your free copy (to be clear, this is just for legacy owners of Don't Starve), DST will always be on your Steam account.

No. Regardless of whether you got DST from being in the closed beta, from buying the Frontier Pack, or by waiting for your free copy (to be clear, this is just for legacy owners of Don't Starve), DST will always be on your Steam account.

So anyone who signed up and got into the beta will have DS:T for free. However the only disadvantage is that they won't have the single player version of DS/RoG (because it will be two separate clients)? Which means all those people who got into the beta are lucky, because they did not have to hand over a dime to Klei for the full version of DS:T. It's kind of a thank you gift for participating in the closed beta, and being patient enough for waiting to get into the closed beta (if you did signed up, or got a key directly from Klei).

Which brings up another interesting question: hypothetically once all of the RoG content is put into DS:T, is that content going to be separated out for those who own the DLC? I know you guys said something about “if the server owner hosts a Don't Starve server with RoG content turned on then everyone can experience it without owning it. However they cannot become those specific RoG characters unless they own the RoG DLC." Which I am fine with.

I dont agree with this!. They can open a new server and set up a password and play as if it was single player!!! ...With more content. Like...I paid for DS when it launched on steam ! ...Isnt that unfair for people like me?

• Developer

So anyone who signed up and got into the beta will have DS:T for free. However the only disadvantage is that they won't have the single player version of DS/RoG (because it will be two separate clients)? Which means all those people who got into the beta are lucky, because they did not have to hand over a dime to Klei for the full version of DS:T. It's kind of a thank you gift for participating in the closed beta, and being patient enough for waiting to get into the closed beta (if you did signed up, or got a key directly from Klei).

Which brings up another interesting question: hypothetically once all of the RoG content is put into DS:T, is that content going to be separated out for those who own the DLC? I know you guys said something about “if the server owner hosts a Don't Starve server with RoG content turned on then everyone can experience it without owning it. However they cannot become those specific RoG characters unless they own the RoG DLC." Which I am fine with.

Exactly :) -- as for RoG, our current plan is to fold the expansion into the base experience of Don't Starve Together and provide a world customization preset that mimics vanilla Don't Starve as closely as possible. RoG characters in DST will only be available to folks who own RoG.

I dont agree with this!. They can open a new server and set up a password and play as if it was single player!!! ...With more content. Like...I paid for DS when it launched on steam ! ...Isnt that unfair for people like me?

If you paid for Don't Starve when it launched on Steam, you'll be getting Don't Starve Together for free when it is fully released. Think of it this way: they get one game (which will be balanced for multiplayer), you get two :)

Exactly :-) -- as for RoG, our current plan is to fold the expansion into the base experience of Don't Starve Together and provide a world customization preset that mimics vanilla Don't Starve as closely as possible. RoG characters in DST will only be available to folks who own RoG.

If you paid for Don't Starve when it launched on Steam, you'll be getting Don't Starve Together for free when it is fully released. Think of it this way: they get one game (which will be balanced for multiplayer), you get two :-)

Those words worry the crap out of me. I just bought the game during the "Steam Exploration Sale" when I could afford it because I'd missed beta sign up. From the sounds of it, because of that, I no longer qualify for DST for free upon the game's full release???

If so this marks a very sad day indeed for me.  :cry:  Dang it where's my emo blankey when I need it most.

I already know the dang answer ...I just...need a moment.

I was dead sure I saw a dev post that a having single beta key, and not the base game, just allowed you to play during beta. Thanx for correcting that information.

And also, sorry if I gave the wrong info to anyone.

Exactly :-) -- as for RoG, our current plan is to fold the expansion into the base experience of Don't Starve Together and provide a world customization preset that mimics vanilla Don't Starve as closely as possible. RoG characters in DST will only be available to folks who own RoG.

If you paid for Don't Starve when it launched on Steam, you'll be getting Don't Starve Together for free when it is fully released. Think of it this way: they get one game (which will be balanced for multiplayer), you get two :-)

Not really :/ . Price of RoG is 4.99 , price of DST would also be 4.99 ... DST is like I said pretty much single player if you play alone...

It's like giving away a free expansion... isnt it?

I mean there is probably people who pirated the game and recently heard of DST and applied for beta and luckily got IN now have it :( ...Well I dont mean to be...selfish and mean to others ...So ill just make my way out

• Developer

Those words worry the crap out of me. I just bought the game during the "Steam Exploration Sale" when I could afford it because I'd missed beta sign up. From the sounds of it, because of that, I no longer qualify for DST for free upon the game's full release???

If so this marks a very sad day indeed for me.  :cry:  Dang it where's my emo blankey when I need it most.

I already know the dang answer ...I just...need a moment.

Gah, no! Sorry--I was addressing xSadoro directly there. If you own Don't Starve on Steam right now, regardless of when you purchased it, you qualify for getting DST for free when it's released. Sorry for the confusion!

I was dead sure I saw a dev post that a having single beta key, and not the base game, just allowed you to play during beta. Thanx for correcting that information.

And also, sorry if I gave the wrong info to anyone.

Not at all! At one point, that was our thinking, but we've changed the plan a bit since then.

Not really :/ . Price of RoG is 4.99 , price of DST would also be 4.99 ... DST is like I said pretty much single player if you play alone...

It's like giving away a free expansion... isnt it?

I mean there is probably people who pirated the game and recently heard of DST and applied for beta and luckily got IN now have it :( ...Well I dont mean to be...selfish and mean to others ...So ill just make my way out

It is indeed giving away the game for free--a way for us to thank people to participating in the closed beta and helping us iron out a ton of kinks before letting more people in. But we're giving it to all the folks that already own Don't Starve on Steam for free, too. As for the pricing stuff: I'd ask you to reserve judgement until we make an announcement about what the pricing model going forward for the various pieces of Don't Starve will be.

Gah, no! Sorry--I was addressing xSadoro directly there. If you own Don't Starve on Steam right now, regardless of when you purchased it, you qualify for getting DST for free when it's released. Sorry for the confusion!

Not at all! At one point, that was our thinking, but we've changed the plan a bit since then.

It is indeed giving away the game for free--a way for us to thank people to participating in the closed beta and helping us iron out a ton of kinks before letting more people in. But we're giving it to all the folks that already own Don't Starve on Steam for free, too. As for the pricing stuff: I'd ask you to reserve judgement until we make an announcement about what the pricing model going forward for the various pieces of Don't Starve will be.

What does this mean? Is Klei considering on raising RoG's price or putting one to Through the ages?

Phew! Ok, geeze I'm sorry too for the misunderstanding. Scare passed, now resuming wait mode, that and I have yet another emo blanket to burn. Thanks for the clear up!  :love_heart:

• Developer

What does this mean? Is Klei considering on raising RoG's price or putting one to Through the ages?

It means that we haven't announced how DST will be priced beyond the Frontier Pack. Reign of Giants will not be affected and Through The Ages will be a free expansion to DST, as we stated.

Archived