Shared Maps Option?

I just started playing beta with my husband on servers that did not have pvp on.  We are mostly pleased with the game itself but was hoping for more player connection.  For instance knowing where each other are on the map.  The arrows are helpful when in close proximity its just hard when you get further away and those arrows disappear. I can see where adding this feature would be problematic in PvP but for co-op style but it is hard to know where your fellow players are when we split to do different tasks.  Also, sharing maps in a co-op style would help with connecting players.  I think I would find it very difficult to find my husband if I weren't sitting next to him where I can see his screen when we venture too far from each other.  Maybe there is a way to insert a shared map option when setting up the server.  The other option I could think of is adding an alliance option in-game where even in PvP you could ally with others and share with only them.  I think the second option would be awesome, but way more difficult when approaching it from a technical stand point.  I am far from proficient on that but I can only imagine having different groups sharing maps would prove more difficult to insert into the game.  

I completely agree with this, S3d1na! I think Klei definitely needs to implement some sort of "Party" or "Tribe" system where you can join other people in game (whether it be on a small, privately hosted server, or a large population, dedicated server). It would help both pvp and non pvp modes immensely.

Please let us know you are working on adding this feature, Klei! :) Much <3 DST ROCK!!!!

I acctualy enjoy venturing on my own even if i am in a party. And i don't think that the above mentioned suggestion is the right decision to implement in the game because it would not make sense. If i am in a group of say 5 people and we all venture in the forest(irl), we don't have shared vision.

What i would like is a system to add notes to the map.
The solution i would suggest, is an ingame map(craftable item) at which everyone can add his or her information. And that would also make a nice element on pvp-Servers, since this item can be quite valuable.But just sharing knowledge doesn't seem logical to me.

DaMich- I would be pretty flexible on how they combat losing your party.  I just had the experience that on day 3 my husband got attacked and I had no clue where he was.  I used his map on his computer to find him quickly.  I can't imagine what others do to find each other.  Maybe flares can be made from nitre and something else to allow players to signal where they are? I don't play much PvP so maybe shared maps could be an option for pve only. 

Love the game and how there are some new things.  For instance meteor showers to replenish stones is clever and terrifying the first time you stumble upon them! 

I also recommend shared maps but i'd feel it may make the game too easy if it was updated real time. (Example, Wendy goes west of portal and Wilson goes east, map is updated real time) In my opinion, if Klei would like to keep the game to it's survivalist theme, the map can only be updated if the two characters meet, from which they "share' their maps. Since the only prominent landmark at the beginning of the the game is the portal. At least players still have to do some work in exploring the map. Other than that, I don't think this should be limited to PVE only tho, PVP would be great too with this function

I also recommend shared maps but i'd feel it may make the game too easy if it was updated real time. (Example, Wendy goes west of portal and Wilson goes east, map is updated real time) In my opinion, if Klei would like to keep the game to it's survivalist theme, the map can only be updated if the two characters meet, from which they "share' their maps. Since the only prominent landmark at the beginning of the the game is the portal. At least players still have to do some work in exploring the map. Other than that, I don't think this should be limited to PVE only tho, PVP would be great too with this function

I really like the idea of having to meet up to share maps.  Combine that with flares and you have a better way to communicate with fellow players when in danger.  Flares could give a general circle on your map for you to see for a short amount of time to give general ideas of where there is someone in distress.  Maybe the map can be a permanent thing in your inventory that you can share when another player is close to you? I know some people say inventories are small but maybe it can be a hot/permanent button next to it.  This way you prevent from sharing maps automatically with enemies in pvp that get near you.

I really like the idea of having to meet up to share maps.  Combine that with flares and you have a better way to communicate with fellow players when in danger.  Flares could give a general circle on your map for you to see for a short amount of time to give general ideas of where there is someone in distress.  Maybe the map can be a permanent thing in your inventory that you can share when another player is close to you? I know some people say inventories are small but maybe it can be a hot/permanent button next to it.  This way you prevent from sharing maps automatically with enemies in pvp that get near you.

YES YES YES!!  You should have to meet up in game, you should get to choose whether or not to share your map, and it should require both parties to agree.  Either you both share or neither shares.  Also love the option of joining a "tribe" to track members on the map.  LOVE these ideas!!

I think shared maps is a no-brainier. I already screenshot the map with pussh and paste the image url link in Steamchat to my friends who are playing with me so might as well make it happen in game to avoid the hassle.

I think shared maps is a no-brainier. I already screenshot the map with pussh and paste the image url link in Steamchat to my friends who are playing with me so might as well make it happen in game to avoid the hassle.

xD In short, sharing the map with your friends is on their list of things they are planning on adding, but not 100% sure how. :)

Hello! They are actually planning on adding this feature (for the map to be shared), in some way or form not sure yet :-)

Mentioned in a few topics:
This one I linked a twitch stream they mentioned it in: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/44402-share-map-discovery/
http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/42421-group-map-item/

Here is a link to an old stream with the Dev's speaking about this if anyone wants to listen :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Suc92z1W8&feature=youtu.be&t=35m1s

My adventure girlfriend and I started playing the beta and we totally agree. It would be such a good option, a to see where the other person is when you are far away and to explore huge worlds better. We talk via Skype most of the time so it is somewhat difficult to describe where you are ("south-east from the grasslands") and a lot of the time you end up running around looking for each other and it takes time from the actual gameplay. I think it would make sense to have it as an option to share maps with x people, maybe you can send requests in case you play with strangers who don't want to share maps or to make it harder and maybe more rewarding an extra map could be crafted by the characters or it could be an item used to connect maps. 

My adventure girlfriend and I started playing the beta and we totally agree. It would be such a good option to see where the other person is when you are far away and it makes it easier to explore huge worlds better. We talk via Skype most of the time so it is somewhat difficult to describe where you are ("south-east from the grasslands") and a lot of the time you end up running around looking for each other and it takes time from the actual gameplay. I think it would make sense to have it as an option to share maps with x people, maybe you can send requests in case you play with strangers who don't want to share maps or to make it harder and maybe more rewarding an extra map could be crafted by the characters or it could be an item used to connect maps that can be found or used.

At night, when players gather together they could tell each other about the places they've been.

Then the map can be updated, and the new regions can be slightly darker.

When together, placing markers on a shared map will help them with objectives and activities.

"Map table" is a great idea.

Maybe make a structure? Like a "Map table". Every player can use it to share an explored area and reveal a part, shared by other players.

That is actually a brilliant idea, mate. "Map Table". 

Being able to imput data into a map table, that others have to activate to get an updated map. On top of that, having Joro's ideas about being able to put markers on the map (that should only be viewed through the map table) for items. Maybe there should be a limit on markers though... maybe 1 per player, and an extra 5 markers for random things. 

Then you would have to 'Back to Base' to update the map for everyone. 

Maybe there should be a puzzle code to open the map table... for PvP so people have to try crack your map code, like a 6 point pattern. 

At night, when players gather together they could tell each other about the places they've been.

Then the map can be updated, and the new regions can be slightly darker.

When together, placing markers on a shared map will help them with objectives and activities.

"Map table" is a great idea.

I think that things should be made as follows...

Regarding the sharing of maps, I think should be an item or even na own HUD for this, so that options "share/learn". Also think that there might be an item that Works as a "SOS" so that all players can find you when you use it, such as a flag (throwing something into the air for at last about 10 sec), and a message to the players.

Now, about the idea of groups, I fully support the idea, so in cases of pvp, there should be a real unity among te members so that we can protect ourselves from others.

:jaded:

KLEI, please add this suggestion! :wilson_goodjob:

Archived