Group map item

The one thing that I have noticed is that people will often find a good source of aspecific recourse, but there is no way for them to let people know where it is and once they log off the knowledge is lost.

My suggestion would be to add a map item which players can activate. When they do they will see the map but this time they will be able to makr any spot as contining a specific recourse. Then another player can come and see that marker and add it to their map with a marker and they will be able to go in that direction and find the recourse more easily.

once they log off the knowledge is lost.

Are you referring to the bug where maps get erased every time you log off? They fixed that last patch.

Anyway, I agree with this idea if it only shows up on explored parts of the map (unless you're talking about a physical marker, in which case, that's what signs are for :grin: )

I believe that they were talking about a marker on unexplored parts of your map. So, let's say someone finds the pig king. They can stick a marker where the pig king village is. When you check the map item, you can see that there is a marker in an unexplored area. You head towards the marker and discover the pig king village! This way, you still have to explore that area, but you can share information without needing someone to guide you to the location of certain things. Or at least, that was how I understood it.

That is exactly what I meant Junior Member.

I think it would take away alot of the irritating parts of the game while not removing th eexploration aspect which I believe would be a big improvement.

Signs are useful, but currently to my knowledge at least they don't allow you to put in a message so they don't actually tell you much.

@daviejohnson

Hehe... their name is Paradoxical, "Junior Member" is their title :p

But yeah, I think the game feels like it really needs something to help communicate location information, whether it's in this form or any of the other suggestions people have put forth (a bell or a horn you can use to show your direction from far away, or an item to give your map data to someone, etc).

You're right, signs cannot currently be written on, but that it something that will be coming at some point in the future. But that won't really help with player-to-player location information.

I would suggest something like a magical compass (also using blood/HP in the recipe) or the option for the Map Table Structure I had somewhere already.

The compass would lead you to another player (perhaps the one who made the think) somehow. Perhaps with an acustic signal like the divining rod.

The map table could be used to share exploration efforts. And perhaps little markers like Beware of Tallbirds and something like that.

just to be clear, when I sau=id Item I wasn't nesecerilly talking about an inventory item, I thing those two items would make a very good mix so long as the map table doesn't reveal parts of the map ou hven't explored. I think the exploration aspect is very important in Don't Starve.

I agree this would be awesome.  Another option is if you can either put up a dot on the map or a preset word on the map itself (eg - look here, touchstone ect).  It would be especially helpful for those just starting as to get directions to a base can be HORRIBLE.  

I would suggest something like a magical compass (also using blood/HP in the recipe) or the option for the Map Table Structure I had somewhere already.

The compass would lead you to another player (perhaps the one who made the think) somehow. Perhaps with an acustic signal like the divining rod.

The map table could be used to share exploration efforts. And perhaps little markers like Beware of Tallbirds and something like that.

Map Table sounds like a great idea! Something that everyone in a game can contribute too, if they want/need to.

I'm finding the game needing more team use items, like this.

Absolutely agree with a map table back at base camp that teammates can add information to.

It creates a sense of sharing camp with others and being able to share map information without abstracting it to simply having shared maps.

Map markers would be great too. 

I like the idea of being able to indicate something without removing the need to actually explore that location.

Some method of knowing a players location would be nice too. 

Maybe a spell or item that can be crafted to "link" players minds.

I'd have to agree with everyone on the map table idea. Certainly makes it feel more apart of the game and more involving as to just having everyone sharing the same map automatically. Perhaps this map table can hold information like signs (which hopefully can be written on to say, Beefalo herd or Pig King, etc) and maybe even player locations.

Having a solid location, most likely in your main base, would make this feel more real and obviously given the information it provides (adds player maps to map table, player markers/signs, player locations, maybe more?) it must be expensive to make. Great for coming back to base to plan for the next day around your map table.

Neat idea! I think this would work a lot better than an earlier pointer idea. I like the idea of the stationary map kiosk like thing. The only issue would come when that one d-bag comes along and starts stamping the darn thing up for spits and giggles. Other than that if everyone could just behave I think it'd be great.

Neat idea! I think this would work a lot better than an earlier pointer idea. I like the idea of the stationary map kiosk like thing. The only issue would come when that one d-bag comes along and starts stamping the darn thing up for spits and giggles. Other than that if everyone could just behave I think it'd be great.

Could be solved by having the creator of the item, and maybe the server creator as well, have the ability to remove markers/stamps.

Just to be clear, i like the idea of item, which leads to other, but sharing the same map? Not going in good way. Think about it, everyone starts to explore in different ways and one guy finds gold, so others immediatly will change direction and will try to get gold also. Bases will be visible, everything is visible. Like using cheats... but if you do have item which will can show map only for chosen players it could make better coop. Either way, just dont make writing anything on map. Trust me, no one will right bushes here, base here, you will get only penises on map...

I agree, griefers are a problem, but there are only so many possible map markers in a game like don't starve together so it is very much possible to limit the number of labels available or even better to just use images like you would see on the map in the first place. Klei would definitely have to think hard about how they would implement a feature like this but I think that if done right it could be very helpful.

I love the idea of being able to add group marker items, so you and the whole group can see it, (especially helpeful if you're trying to find a touch stone for a dead prty member). Maybe a marker in the way the science machine and other built items are marked on the map? It could be something crafted from the alchemy engine or one of the other machines so it's not to easily done either.

Archived