Good strategies for surviving underground?

Reaux

This applies to caves and ruins. I don't necessarily have a hard time surviving underground per se, but it's most certainly challenging. Are there any good strategies for going about the caves and ruins? Would building a base underground be worth the resources or a waste?

Depends on your goal of playing

Some go to the caves/ruins just for loot, like tentaspikes from tentapillars and the ancient crafting in ruins and guardians horn, in which case a base is not really needed.

if you seek sustenance in a base, farms are optional, a small base of operations with farms, protection against worms and some green mushrooms for sanity (and clothing of course) is more than enough.

Depends on your goal of playing

Some go to the caves/ruins just for loot, like tentaspikes from tentapillars and the ancient crafting in ruins and guardians horn, in which case a base is not really needed.

if you seek sustenance in a base, farms are optional, a small base of operations with farms, protection against worms and some green mushrooms for sanity (and clothing of course) is more than enough.

Well I like to head to the ruins to stock up on nightmare fuel and gems, but it's so time consuming because the entrance to the cave itself is about half-day's walk from my main base, and then about a full-day's walk from the cave exit to the ruins entrance. The two problems I face mostly are the nightmares and spiders, especially in the ruins, and time is as precious of a resource as everything else (food spoilage, hounds, giants, etc.) So I'd like a more immediate checkpoint to refresh and refuel. I just wasn't sure if a nearby underground base was too risky or if it was actually a good idea.

Dropping a beefalo down a sinkhole does seem a lot more logical than a rock lobster up a rope :p

i think i'll transplant a herd as well ^^

you can easily live underground, the trick lies with the hats and the lantarn

For exploration, use in safe positions the miner hat and walking cane

For unknown territories, use armor and a lantern

For threats that have not aggro'd you, put down the lantern and use a bush hat.

For threats that have aggro'd on you, seek protection of bunnies or rock lobsters, or just run during nightmare cycle.

For sanity, mushrooms, tam 'o shanter, jerky and taffy.

For health, use honey poultices or glands (you should get tons of glands in the caves) or dragonpie if you got a farm and a birdcage going.

Cave survival is just like surface survival, overcome problems by counteracting them.

Archived