So MONST3R wants to sell me the Lock Decoder

post-449645-0-11255900-1415984133_thumb.

But is it really that good ?

Seeing how i dont have banks in this run trough. (please dont hurt me)

I didnt really get into a thight spot so far.

I always had the chance to slip a card out of a guard's pocket.

And now im asking you guys, should i get it ?

I dunno. If you can always get a key card I don't see the point. This item would be much better if it was able to open any door and there were security levels.

I think Klei underpowers their new content because they're afraid of making things too easy on us. Three turns is enough to find a keycard on your own, which is why this item is not so good right.

But I'm super glad we have another way of dealing with locked doors than stealing a keycard.

Come on, why would anyone kill you for not using Banks? There isn't that much of a cult around her. I hope?

I have never used Lock Decoder, but based on my game experience, I can think of only a few situations where it would be useful:

1) You're close to a locked door with the agent carrying Lockie and passcards are on the other side of the map.

2)There is a locked door right in the starting room/close to one. You could get early exploration by opening up another path, or leave Lockie do his work and scout ahead, then come back later. Many levels have a Passcard guard quite early, so that might not win you much time.

3) You haven't found passcards, period./guards are all elsewhere.

In some situations I have really hoped that a passcard was available. But Lockie still seems to be a very situational item. On the other hand, it's only 320$, and you could sell it later. Why don't you try it out, and see if it's of any use to you?

Would be nice to see how quickly you will use your chance to slip a card out of a guard's pocket at some extremely guarded Sankaku facility

It could be useful if you doesn't have anarchy and don't want to have more guard attention

It's just an item that disable lock in 3 turn. Should you use it? Should you use cloking rigs? Should you use TAG pistol? Should you use volt disruptors? Should you have six or seven different augments? Or six the same? No one but you knows, how you should play

Yeah I passed that up when I saw it.

There is always another way around a locked door. It may not be a GOOD way around, but it's hard to think of something so terrible that I'd rather sit on my thumbs for 3 turns.

Imo this device is totally useless and not worth it. I much rather have a one-time use only card, instead.

Or another way of hacking doors without a card, like making a bypass, or something. Your hacking skill will determine how many circuits will be available to successfully bypass a door. Unsuccessful hacks will notify a guard to investigate.

Hey, what if it placed a mainframe device on the door with 3 ICE that starts infected with the equivalent of parasite 1 (but has no interaction with the parasite 1 the player uses)?  This would be pretty much the same as it is currently, but with the added option of using power to speed it up.

I think there is a chance that lock decoder becomes the starting item for "archive version" of Banks, since the concept of archive is about agents without augments. I think archive agents are cool, but they are definitely not as 'strong' as the original versions, since they are the ones to be well balanced.

Imo item slots are at a high premium and I wouldn't waste space on this. The waiting 3 turns part is rubbish, per the reasons mentioned above.

I do like the idea of this item costing PWR, if it means you can use it more often. It also provides a viable alternative to having Banks (if you feel having this function is necessary).

Archived