[Server creation options] Choose witch caracters is accepted on your server

After 1 month of DST testing, the default gameplay start to be borring. So I decide to try to make the gameplay harder. The first thing I do is to create a server with more monster and less ressources. But it's not hard as I want, Then I was thinking to a server that can be played exclusively by Wes when he will be implemented to DST. But how can I do that if i'm not a mod maker? For the moment I can't. 

So it could be smart to had the option to choose witch caracter can joint your server. I know that there is a lot of person who dislike to have a pyro nooby Willow who joint, so this could end the problem. 

What is your opinion on that?

@Osmium Setting the allowed character list is actually really easy in a mod, all you need is a modmain that contains something like this:

GLOBAL.DST_CHARACTERLIST ={	'wilson',	'willow',	'wendy',	'wx78',	'wickerbottom',	'wolfgang',	-- 'woodie',	'wes',	'waxwell',}

Here, Woodie is disabled and everyone else is enabled.

The trick, I think, is to circumvent the current behavior where it defaults you to Wilson if you pick something that's not allowed. I'll have to look where that defaulting is occurring, then I think I can whip up a mod for this.

But all that being said, I would still rather have this an a server setting, because that would handle it way better. Currently the people connecting think they're picking Willow (on a server where Willow is banned), and then they end up as Wilson and are like "wtf!?". So if the character choices were actually networked, that would be much nicer.

Edit: Looks like the check occurs here in networking.lua:

function ValidateSpawnPrefabRequest( prefab_name )	local in_dst_char_list = table.contains(DST_CHARACTERLIST, prefab_name )	local in_mod_char_list = table.contains(MODCHARACTERLIST ,  prefab_name )	if in_dst_char_list or in_mod_char_list then		return prefab_name	else		return DST_CHARACTERLIST[1]	endend

Which would mean it actually defaults them to whoever's first in DST_CHARACTERLIST. So if you set DST_CHARACTERLIST = {"wes"}, then you get the server you want. Here: onlywes.zip

I tested it briefly, and the only bug I encountered was that players who join without the mod are unable to see Wes ghosts or balloons. But they can see live Wes players.

@imsomony Haha, okay. I had tweaked my More DST Characters to do this for a while, too xD. You might want to add this line to prevent invisible willows and lighters, though:

PrefabFiles = { 'willow', 'lighter' }

This means if you leave the mod on and join a server with Willows, or have a Willow character on a server and load back into it, you'll still be able to see her and her lighter.

Oh, good point... I hadn't considered what it might happen on already-existing servers, I was just thinking about it on a newly-created server as the host. Thanks!

Oooh... I jsut thought of something delightful to add to it. I'll have to update later when I'm back home (don't have the game files here at work, and I'll need to do some digging).

• Developer

I can certainly see why you might want to disable characters on your server, but I think for the sake of consistency and messaging, I'm inclined to leave it in the hands of modders. As rezecib illustrated, it's an incredibly easy mod to make. The mod configuration screen would work well as a UI for enabling and disabling specific characters and doing it this way would show users that they're joining a server with a nonstandard experience (i.e. not all characters allowed). And since it would be a mod, the server would get the mod icon and list the mod in its mod details. From a UI perspective, that's much more compact and cleaner than adding a new set of information to the server detail panel (which is already crowded and doesn't even have all of the necessary items there yet).

Rather than spend time implementing an official version of that myself, I'd rather iterate on the designs of the characters with the goal of making it so that you don't want to disable any character for general play.

@SethR I was going to say that the main thing holding it back as a mod right now is that it's not readable to people joining (e.g. they think they're picking Willow, but end up as Wilson), but I realized that will be fixed once the automatic mod downloading gets in, so I have to agree with you that it's not worth putting in time to make this official.

Have you looked at the suggestions for Willow and Wolfgang? Willow still needs some iteration but I think the cold-on-insane is a good direction. Wolfgang's changes are less relevant to this discussion, though, and more about making him a more fun character to play.

• Developer

Have you looked at the suggestions for Willow and Wolfgang? Willow still needs some iteration but I think the cold-on-insane is a good direction. Wolfgang's changes are less relevant to this discussion, though, and more about making him a more fun character to play.

Yeah, I did! Really good thread. I haven't had a chance to read through it and carefully consider everything being discussed, which is the main reason I haven't jumped in. It's not falling on deaf ears, though. As always, I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but the issues brought up there are definitely things I want to address. Thanks for the discussion!

Archived