A new more hardcore death mechanic?

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the system as a world settings option?

• Yes
    • No

Its not really hardcore, but I think its more like the singleplayer.

The host of the server decides the amount of lives (originally I thought about that it will be same amount as the players playing, but it wouldnt work well..) and each time somebody dies he respawns at the spaen point and the team losses a point , once all life points lost its game over (you dont lose a life point if you had some sort of "reviver" like life giving amulet)

Well, they explain it allot better

I don't get why people don't understand this.

Tomer is saying that we'll have a pool of lives that the server owner sets. (let's use 6 as an example)

So I'm playing with 2 other friends, and I've died 2 times, so now our group lives are down to 4.

My friend dies 3 times, and then I die once again. Then we're out of lives, and the only means of resurrection are: touchstones, meat effigies and life giving amulets.

Once all of those are gone, the next death that happens makes the game over.

It doesn't mean I'm the only person out, it means that once the server is out of lives, the world is over.

This is what I understood of it, I'm not sure if this is exactly what Tomer meant, but that's how I see his idea.

I read the reply's from @Tomer8009 and understood it from the beginning, I can clearly feel the frustration since some people seem to be "trolling" with him. Don't hate for him being aggressive, if you re-read everything you clearly see that he states multiple times that everyone loses, not that one person dies at a time till you're alone.

I've been playing DST for 2-3 days and the experience so far is... boring. I've been playing with the wife, and after 1 or 2 lost worlds, we quickly learned how to, basically, live forever. There's no more "starve" in DST/ With 2 people you quickly make a camp, a renewable source of food and full equipment for winter. Then you just play with calculated risks, and not with fear of death. I died A LOT, simply because I knew I could risk it. If I die, I simply go back to camp, and wait for a resurrect from my partner. I got to 30 max health, and then just die again and use a meat effy or a touch stone and *poof*, death penalty is gone, I'm back to 150. No rez around? No problem, just make some booster shots, and you are set to go, 2 people grinding have resources to make the shots in no time. So yes, I vote for a perma-death solution like Tomer suggested, If I die an X number of times (set by the server) EVERYBODY loses, and everyone starts in a fresh new world together. That's the spirit of don't starve, to lose everything if you make a mistake.

The permadeath option will be implemented in-game

An X amount of lives given by the host does not really seem to contribute that much in my opinion. 

Do think that in a multiplayer game, you will A) play on a public server, people will hop in and out as much as they like. And if someone /more people die, say like 5 times and can't play anymore, and you still have not died, than you would be single playing in a multiplayer?

The same with a locked server, but most likely you will play with friends, i don't see the fun in that a friend dies sometime and can not play anymore. 

The whole point of a multiplayer is to survive together, but if someone dies and cant play anymore, than the 'together' is somewhat misleading

In PvP though this could be a viable option, world small, deaths to 5 or something giving you a chance to win even though you might have been unlucky at start in a swamp or something.

The permadeath option will be implemented in-game

An X amount of lives given by the host does not really seem to contribute that much in my opinion.

Do think that in a multiplayer game, you will A) play on a public server, people will hop in and out as much as they like. And if someone /more people die, say like 5 times and can't play anymore, and you still have not died, than you would be single playing in a multiplayer?

The same with a locked server, but most likely you will play with friends, i don't see the fun in that a friend dies sometime and can not play anymore.

The whole point of a multiplayer is to survive together, but if someone dies and cant play anymore, than the 'together' is somewhat misleading

In PvP though this could be a viable option, world small, deaths to 5 or something giving you a chance to win even though you might have been unlucky at start in a swamp or something.

well.. what I meant is, lets say , 3 freinds play on a private server, and once all lives are lost everybody losses and the world is deleted

Umm.. Okay.. so your friends die before you.. and you're stuck playing by urself. how fun.

*facepalm* for the third time, once all lives are lost all players lose and the world is deleted.. you dont get to play while your friends are dead

*facepalm* for the third time, once all lives are lost all players lose and the world is deleted.. you dont get to play while your friends are dead

Repeating it more doesn't make it better.

You could just play singleplayer if you don't want to play with friends so badly.

Tomer is saying that we'll have a pool of lives that the server owner sets. (let's use 6 as an example)

So I'm playing with 2 other friends, and I've died 2 times, so now our group lives are down to 4.

My friend dies 3 times, and then I die once again. Then we're out of lives, and the only means of resurrection are: touchstones, meat effigies and life giving amulets.

It doesn't mean I'm the only person out, it means that once the server is out of lives, the world is over.

This is what I understood of it, I'm not sure if this is exactly what Tomer meant, but that's how I see his idea.

I liked their idea that whenever someone dies, everyone loses % of max hp, making everyone take care of each other. Based on streams and opinions on forum, it seems that it's really easy to resurrect and continue game which is fine in... minecraft or something similar but not in hardcore survival game, I think.

I liked their idea that whenever someone dies, everyone loses % of max hp, making everyone take care of each other. Based on streams and opinions on forum, it seems that it's really easy to resurrect and continue game which is fine in... minecraft or something similar but not in hardcore survival game, I think.

You brought the M word in here..

That is a terrible idea.

Yes, it's easy to resurrect with a tell-tale heart, but the max hp lost is crippling.

If you die enough you can have a max of 30 hp.

%+%@=!÷!/!&++*@%!÷!!$+=!

Good job makimg a constructive argument. Not being able to play TOGETHER in a game called Don't Starve TOGETHER is still a terrible idea.

Loss of max HP is crippling enough to compensate for easy resurrection.

Good job makimg a constructive argument. Not being able to play TOGETHER in a game called Don't Starve TOGETHER is still a terrible idea.

Loss of max HP is crippling enough to compensate for easy resurrection.

You understood what I meant and just decided to annoy me didn't ya

THANK YOU!!!

That is a terrible idea.

Yes, it's easy to resurrect with a tell-tale heart, but the max hp lost is crippling.

If you die enough you can have a max of 30 hp.

Well, having max of 30 health is not really.. fun, you can't do anything but farm, when everyone has set amount of lives together still will make them take care of each other while letting them play how they should be playing... nobody will explore the ruins with 30 hp right? (note that if you have meat effigy or other reviving item you wont lose health..)

Having the option of reviving someone for 5 grass and 40 health and than refill his health with booster pack makes things way too easy.. its the same old permadeath punishment of the singleplayer... it makes the game too easy like *whispers* minecraft!

Well, having max of 30 health is not really.. fun, you can't do anything but farm, when everyone has set amount of lives together still will make them take care of each other while letting them play how they should be playing... nobody will explore the ruins with 30 hp right? (note that if you have meat effigy or other reviving item you wont lose health..)

Having the option of reviving someone for 5 grass and 40 health and than refill his health with booster pack makes things way too easy.. its the same old permadeath punishment of the singleplayer... it makes the game too easy like *whispers* minecraft!

Playing with a crippling penalty is better than not playing at all. If all your friends die, that would mean that you'll be playing by yourself and you would probably be better off playing singleplayer.

Archived