There should be a flink-lock pistol using: 2 flint 4 stone and 1 board

This would come in handy with hunting birds,spiders,bees,rabb... dee... the rabbit like things...

I have to agree with Toaster Fu, the resource requirements make the crafting of such a weapon very easy. Too easy. In other suggestion threads I have backed the idea of a flintlock rifle, in part due to the fact that we only have one "hand slot" anyway, so why not have a firearm that uses both? While I did not list an exact craft formula, I did however create a list of pros/cons to show how it worked.

The pros were that the flintlock rifle provided a one-shot kill and it was a ranged weapon. The cons, which were several, balanced between those that delayed its accessibility and those that limited its usefulness. In terms of crafting the first limitor was making the flintlock rifle a tier-2 invention, meaning that you first needed to unlock/build the Alchemy Engine, which in turn needed Cut Stone, so that invention also needed to be unlocked.

As for the rifle itself, once unlocked, it needed one or two more inventions to work. The first of these support inventions was the powder horn, where the gunpowder is stored, while the other "potential" invention is the lead balls fired from the rifle. Now as there isn't any lead in the game at this time I suggested an alternative, and that's gold ore. To put a comical spin on the idea rather than invention gold ball ammunition, I joked that maybe the rifle could just fire gold ore from your inventory... and the suggestion stuck. In this case only the rifle and horn need to be unlocked and crafted... then you just need lots of gold ore for ammunition. Time to see the pig king... ;)

As a note, firing the flintlock rifle was noisy, so it would spook all rabbits and birds in the immediate area. Yet another minor con.

The last factor that limited the usefulness of the flintlock rifle I suggested was the reload delay. After firing the flintlock rifle (% durability decreases) the player would need to use the powder horn on the rifle (% usage for horn decreases) and then use a gold ore on the rifle (removes 1 gold ore from stack). For each click the character performs a loading animation. It goes without saying this takes more than a few seconds... so in a combat situation against several opponents you will probably die. In this regard the flintlock rifle is only useful for solo or initial encounters.

One other idea or limitation has been on my mind... and that's, what if a player crafts multiple flintlock rifles and loads them all in advance to carry in their inventory like a mini-armory. The solution I cam up with was, like the backpack, to never allow the player to place the rifle inside either their inventory or a backpack. So you can either carry the rifle equipped in your hand slot or in your cursor... but that's it.

All that technical stuff

Very spot on, but I cant help but to but and in maybe change the ammo to something more easily found; remember, the weapon needs to be easily accessible, not painstakingly tedious. Maybe use pine cones? I bet the ones you didnt replant, chucked into the pit or researched just sits there in your chests. Craft gunpowder from charcoal (in whatever sense that might make) and the horn from .... an actual horn and or funnel-shaped drop.

Personally, I dont think a flint-lock would do at all, I think it should be a blunderbuss instead. The expense in building would be greatly justified. the noise from firing it would scare away smaller critters and maybe aggro some beefaloes. The fact that you're forced to use a pine cone would also justify why it wont hurt so much, but maybe a bit more powerful since it's suppose to be a stronger weapon than the spear. But also, remember this; it's suppose to be a stronger weapon, but dosnt effectively replace the spear since it's suppose to come with it's own drawbacks that would make it a choice rather than an answer.

When it comes to space-management, i think the buss would take up the weapon slot and the back slot.I could be wrong though. Maybe a basket to carry your pine cones, i dunno xD

O.K. Maybe it needs a few adjustments. It could cost: 20 Gold, 12 planks of wood, and 5 flint. The ammunition could be rocks,seeds, or sliver.(For the were-piggys.)

I'm not sure we need to have a large number of resources as the solution, however gold ore and flint would probably be two of the most likely resources in the crafting formula. However even the spear only needs a single piece to be effective, and I think the rifle would be the same. Again, we might need more resources added to the game before a rifle became feasible.

For example, if iron ore were added, and then coal, and then coal + iron ore could be used to create steel... in which case steel would be a nice alternative to gold ore used in the rifle's construction and further limit its accessibility (i.e. something for players to work towards).

I think the easiest ammo solution for long ranged weapons would be to have a quiver (or your ranged weapon equivalent) on the back slot as the only place you can store ammo.

Well that's an option. Of course a quiver would be for arrows, and you could just use the existing stack system, with say, 20 or 40 arrows per stack. I think that's a lot of arrows as it is.

Very spot on, but I cant help but to but and in maybe change the ammo to something more easily found; remember, the weapon needs to be easily accessible, not painstakingly tedious.

Well it all comes down to balance. If ammunition is not a key factor in balancing the weapons, then yes, the source for the ammunition should be made more accessible. If testing proves that ammunition availability makes the rifle too powerful, then it could be adjusted the other way. I don't think we can say right now. I just thought gold ore would be a humorous choice and the pig king seems to be handing it out in limitless quantities... so long as you have the proper bribe.

Maybe use pine cones? I bet the ones you didnt replant, chucked into the pit or researched just sits there in your chests.

I actually replant the pinecones so I can cut down more trees. How about flint? There's lots already lying around and you can get more from boulders, and once you unlock gold tools its usefulness is decreased. Of course, unlike gold ore and pine cones it's not limitless... but flint's certainly sharper than either of them. ;)

Craft gunpowder from charcoal (in whatever sense that might make) and the horn from .... an actual horn and or funnel-shaped drop.

Yup. Another player suggested a "snow beast" creature that would drop its horns on death. I figured those, or horns from any creature with horns, could be used as a drop for this crafting formula. This way we could also be seen as using more animal parts, which is definitely the proper survivor mentality. I'm just not sure if it's better to shorten the formula for gunpowder to charcoal... or finding a source for sulfur and saltpeter. Hmmm. While not exactly demonic in origin, maybe the Krampus could drop sulfur when it dies...?

Personally, I dont think a flint-lock would do at all, I think it should be a blunderbuss instead.

I assume you are referring to the more comical version, with the conical barrel end. Sure, why not? I usually just quote the flintlock rifle because it mentions flint in the name and people can relate that to being a resource found in the game already. :)

The expense in building would be greatly justified. the noise from firing it would scare away smaller critters and maybe aggro some beefaloes.

Hmmm. I don't know if it would aggro beefalo. I personally think it would startle them and maybe send them running, unless you attacked a fellow beefalo, in which case then they should attack you.

The fact that you're forced to use a pine cone would also justify why it wont hurt so much, but maybe a bit more powerful since it's suppose to be a stronger weapon than the spear. But also, remember this; it's suppose to be a stronger weapon, but dosnt effectively replace the spear since it's suppose to come with it's own drawbacks that would make it a choice rather than an answer.

Well the ammunition source is always open to debate, as these are all just suggestions. :)

However I'm of the opinion the rifle, or blunderbuss as the case may be, should be lethal. The spear is great in that it lets you attack multiple times against multiple opponents without pause. Same for the deadlier spikey stick. The suggested rifle would be a single attack and then, if there are more enemies, you would need to switch weapons... probably to a spear. Dropping the rifle on the ground.

When it comes to space-management, i think the buss would take up the weapon slot and the back slot.I could be wrong though. Maybe a basket to carry your pine cones, i dunno

By "back slot" are you referring to the chest/torso slot? I can't see why it would need to do that. It's held in yoru arms, so the "hand slot" should be enough. As for the ammunition and gunpowder horn, those would go in either your inventory or backpack. Pinecornes stack... so I think they're good as they are already.

Huh... I was about to say, "If that's what you wanted to fire...", then I had a funny thought. What if the rifle/blunderbuss was a bit like the Rock-It Launcher from Fallout 3? And by that I mean it fired whatever you loaded into it and the damage varied based on the type of ammunition. Wouldn't that be something? I mean, obviously you shouldn't be able to load it with medium (x20 stack) or large (x10 stack) items, but pine cones would fall into this category among other small objects, like flint... anyway, just something to think about. ;)

Huh... I was about to say, "If that's what you wanted to fire...", then I had a funny thought. What if the rifle/blunderbuss was a bit like the Rock-It Launcher from Fallout 3? And by that I mean it fired whatever you loaded into it and the damage varied based on the type of ammunition. Wouldn't that be something? I mean, obviously you shouldn't be able to load it with medium (x20 stack) or large (x10 stack) items, but pine cones would fall into this category among other small objects, like flint... anyway, just something to think about. ;)

Just an FYI; The Blunderbuss is in fact a real historical shotgun and it is often loaded with several objects that arent bullets to help clear out areas of crowds/riot.

Just an FYI; The Blunderbuss is in fact a real historical shotgun and it is often loaded with several objects that arent bullets to help clear out areas of crowds/riot.

Historical facts aside, would you agree that having this would be an interesting mechanic for the weapon? :)