Some ideas

I feel that the game is a brilliant concept and is executed beautifully. Even at this early stage, it is a lot of fun to play.

I just thought of some ideas-

Tools-

[*]A knife. In the real world, that is the first tool usually built. It can reduce time for tasks that don't require any tool such as cutting grass, foraging for berries, starting a fire and making tools or other items.

[*]A multitool, it can reduce the amount of inventory slots tools require.

[*]

Islands-

I feel that since the game itself seems to be on an island, why not have different isolated islands that can only be accessed by boat. They can have different geographical conditions, some islands can be tropical, while others can be arid and so on. Each island can also have different native sentient beings that can be moved from island to island, like the pig men. I would prefer the pigmen to look less like european pigs and look more wild, like a wild boar.Islands could have elephant men, peccary-men, just to name a few. They can help gather other resources than wood, such as stone or grass. Also, they need different fauna, like tigers and scorpions.

The sea-

If you need to access the islands, you need to cross the ocean, that could be done by boat. It can start off with canoes or kayaks and become more advanced up to ships. There can be fishing in the boats to subsist the boat could have fishing methods, even the land needs fishing. About, small, low-leveled boats, pigs should have seperate boats. There should be sea animals that may attack you, such as sharks or killer whales.

Fauna-

I am excited about a megafauna update, but I would like to give a few suggestions. At the moment there is only one type of large game- the beefalo. There could be deer or antelope, that are too fast for the player to casually kill and require cunning to hunt. They might need to be stalked and surprised. Perhaps have a bow? An elephant could be a very difficult creature to kill on other islands, these animals might need the cooperation of pigmen. Also, there should be some predators to compete with you, such as tigers (Oops, this is a temperate game). Bears or pumas can compete with you and steal yor food, or even attack you directly. I think this has been mentioned several times, but domestication might add something more to the game. There are bees already, why not domesticate beefalo for meat and milk? Maybe even have pets. There is also a serious lack of reptiles, you could add geckos or snakes.

Music-

I feel the trumpet does not go with the theme of Don't Starve. Maybe have flute music instead? Of course, this is my opinion only.

Farm graphics-

I feel that having the same graphic for all farmed plants is king of strange. Carrots can have the same graphic as the wild carrots, berries can look like the bush, meat can be a horrendous, alien-looking plant.

Edited by ChaosFire

Knife

I like the knife idea, specially because I want to skin the rabbits to make backpacks, tents and coats (less effective than the armor, but easier to obtain). And I like that it speeds up mundane tasks like cutting grass (ughh, boooooring). It would require 1 flint and 1 branch, and it would decay way slower than hard-working tools. You have my vote.

I have to disagree with the multitool though, inventory management is a great part of the game, we shouldn't be taking "shortcuts" to simplify things.

Islands & Boats

May I start by saying I dislike the current bridges, like, a lot? They look ugly and are boring. I say ban them and make boats instead.

8 boards, 10 silks and 3 ropes? Now, we have to address some things first:

What if you start in a lonely island which doesn't have enough spiders in it? This can be fixed with relative ease by the programmer, making sure that he spawns enough resources on the starting island.

What happens if the player sails to the edge of the world? Well, I would suggest having fog at the edges and winds that would push you back towards the center.

Edited by Excess
because DERP

You like the jungle don't you?

You can read my mind! :)

Knife

I like the knife idea, specially because I want to skin the rabbits to make backpacks, tents and coats (less effective than the armor, but easier to obtain). And I like that it speeds up mundane tasks like cutting grass (ughh, boooooring). It would require 1 flint and 1 branch, and it would decay way slower than hard-working tools. You have my vote.

I have to disagree with the multitool though, inventory management is a great part of the game, we should be taking "shortcuts" to simplify things.

You're right about the multitool, the knife should be used for ALL tasks that don't require a tool even making a fire or building a pig house. Also, now that you have mentioned skinning rabbits, it can be made compulsory to skin them after killing them, though it should be possible to do it with the swirly-hand thing, since it doesn't make any sense for the meat to fly out of the rabbit after killing them.

Also, now that you have mentioned skinning rabbits, it can be made compulsory to skin them after killing them, though it should be possible to do it with the swirly-hand thing, since it doesn't make any sense for the meat to fly out of the rabbit after killing them.

I would like to see this apply to all slain animals. Rabbits, frogs, pigs, spiders and beefalo. Bees and ravens I don't believe would need it tho as bees dont drop food just honey and ravens (when they put the crow trap in) fall into the same category as I am guessing will drop feathers.

On a serious note, we have to be careful not to make it to where your always preparing for the next thing that's going to happen instead of just having fun day to day.

Ah but if you do seasons then its nice and slow changes over time? Could be 20 days to a season? I dont know. Could make things more interesting.

I'd be thinking more like 30-40 days because, if it's too Soon you'll just spend all your time preparing but, if it's to late you'll get bored waiting for the seasons to change. It has to work for the short term player and the long term player.

Edited by Toaster Fu
Darn you autocorrect!!!

So start off in spring? Work into summer when wild fires are prominent but food still at good levels. Ease into autumn and then finally into winter around day 90 for the experienced players to have a challenge?Sounds like it could be rather fun!

Hm, I don't care for the knife and multitool ideas I think it would complicate the simple desgin the game currently has. Plus the time it takes to gather grass, or any object in the game that is laying on the floor, feels just right to me.