Blewcheese's DST experiences

Alright, first off, I'd like to express my thanks for having gotten a key. Thanks!

I played DST for a while yesterday, but since this is my first time being in a beta, you'll have to bear with me if I have trouble testing thoroughly. Here's what I've seen so far.

- I've gotten some serious lag around mobs. I found that I couldn't move around frogs and spiders, but they could attack me, so I died. There were only two people on the server, including myself.

- It'd be nice to have clues about other people's stats. I'm not looking for a bar that shows it, of course. We already have the idle animations for hunger and sanity, but maybe quotes for examination like "[insert character name here] Is looking a little banged up." And such.

-I'm not sure I quite understand the haunt mechanic. From what I can tell, it just makes the item glowey. If I haunt a beefalo, it enrages it, and if I haunt a grave, I get a ghost of another character (which I assumed was random). I heard that there was supposed to be a bar that depleted if you didn't haunt things, but I've seen none of that yet.

I'll update this thread with more of my observations as I play more.

-Yes, rubberbanding is a serious issue for client players right now because kiting doesn't work and you can't get away in time if you are lagging around.

-I think seeing other people's stats is only gonna be used if you are trying to fight someone. If you are playing with a friend they would politely ask you if you have any healing items. Also the hungry and insane looking around animations are a great way to see how a player is doing. I don't think that needs to be added.

-I have heard from a dev that they have been changing the ghost mechanics almost every week or so. They are not sure yet how it can work properly without frustrating the player or being overpowered. They have removed the "hunger" meter for ghosts until they find a better solution. If you're a ghost you can just haunt and interact with certain objects until someone revives you for now. Like you said: Beefalo become enraged, you can turn trees into Treeguards, make normal flowers Evil Flowers and burn stuff down.

You have been posting about crashing and such on a lot of threads. What's wrong exactly? Please explain it in detal.

So, I first tried to play online, it asked me to log in so I created an account (as it said) and for some reason now whenever I try to go online, it crashes my game.

Here's what the error reads...

Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scripts/screens/serverlistingscreen.lua:711: attempt to get length of field 'viewed_servers' (a nil value) LUA ERROR stack traceback:

C:/Program Files (x86) /Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scrips/screens/serverlistingscreen.lua(711,1) in function 'GetHelpText'

C:/Program Files (x86) /Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scrips/fontend.lua(191,1) in function 'GetHelpText'

C:/Program Files (x86) /Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scrips/frontend.lua(560,1) in function 'Update'

C:/Program Files (x86) /Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scrips/frontend.lua(604,1) in function 'Push Screen'

C:/Program Files (x86) /Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scrips/mainscreen.lua (385,1) in function 'cb'

C:/Program Files (x86) /Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scrips/frontend.lua(420,1) in function 'DoFadingUpdate'

C:/Program Files (x86) /Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scrips/frontend.lua (475,1) in function 'Update'

It seems like it has a problem with stuff in the serverlistingscreen, and frontend when it preforms 'Update', 'GetHelpText', 'Push Screen', and 'Do Fading Update', anyone know what those do and have a solution?

So, I first tried to play online, it asked me to log in so I created an account (as it said) and for some reason now whenever I try to go online, it crashes my game.

Are you sure you are updated to the latest version? The previous version has been crashing like crazy, but they fixed it in the latest update.

Please right click on DST Beta in your Steam library - Click Properties - Updates -and set Automatic Updates to High Priority. Then restart Steam and see if it updates.

(Also sorry mods, i know this isn't the Bug Tracker section x.x)

Are you sure you are updated to the latest version? The previous version has been crashing like crazy, but they fixed it in the latest update.

Please right click on DST Beta in your Steam library - Click Properties - Updates -and set Automatic Updates to High Priority. Then restart Steam and see if it updates.

(Also sorry mods, i know this isn't the Bug Tracker section x.x)

Well, I've done that. I restarted Steam, it seems to not be updating.

And don't worry, I can't even post in the Bug Tracker Section

I rebooted my PC and it seems to have worked.

Here's what the error reads...

Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scripts/screens/serverlistingscreen.lua:711: attempt to get length of field 'viewed_servers' (a nil value) LUA ERROR stack traceback:

C:/Program Files (x86) /Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scrips/screens/serverlistingscreen.lua(711,1) in function 'GetHelpText'

C:/Program Files (x86) /Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scrips/fontend.lua(191,1) in function 'GetHelpText'

C:/Program Files (x86) /Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scrips/frontend.lua(560,1) in function 'Update'

C:/Program Files (x86) /Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scrips/frontend.lua(604,1) in function 'Push Screen'

C:/Program Files (x86) /Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scrips/mainscreen.lua (385,1) in function 'cb'

C:/Program Files (x86) /Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scrips/frontend.lua(420,1) in function 'DoFadingUpdate'

C:/Program Files (x86) /Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/data/scrips/frontend.lua (475,1) in function 'Update'

It seems like it has a problem with stuff in the serverlistingscreen, and frontend when it preforms 'Update', 'GetHelpText', 'Push Screen', and 'Do Fading Update', anyone know what those do and have a solution?

Wait you cant just use the steam account?

A person has to make their own DST account to log into servers the first time they launch the client.

Speaking of client, can you choose to "Delete Local Content" for DST, redownload and install the DST client, and then under update in properties choose "Always keep this game up to date" Pyromailmann, then reboot your computer?

See if that works. if not, post an updated DXDIAG and  MDMP file (I think the log.txt should not update, but if it does you can post that too) in the Bug Tracker section.  

Archived