Communication

Communication amongst the players in DST is going to be vital. And the best method for communication, in my opinion, is graphical communication. Instead of typing, which is not consul friendly and can lead to very bad results depending on who uses it as well as maintaining the language gap among players from different countries).

In a manner similar to DotA2, players can use alt+click to report various states (health, hunger and sanity) as well as items that they have in excess or need to obtain more of. When alt+clicking health, for example, the player would have a health icon above head with the health value displayed next to it. If the player clicks an item in his inventory, that item is displayed above head with the amount the player has of it.

Further more, players should be able to view each others inventory and equipment and ask for items the other player has and they need by alt+click too (ctrl+click can be used for a different meaning; give/take).
Items in bags can not be seen by others.

The players will also need a method (preferably a craft-able item) to communicate their reaction to the presence of other players, like a mask that can be changed to reflect hostility, neutrality or friendliness.
Also, a tool to inform other players of your whereabouts in times of need (like a horn or a flare gun).

This is an interesting idea, although I think to make it feel more like Don't Starve, there should be some fuzzing. So for example, if you alt-click your health circle, it'll say something based on its level ("I'm on my deathbed!" -> "I'm wounded" -> "I'm feeling healthy", from low to high health). 

The devs briefly mentioned gestures being a thing they wanted to do in one of the recent streams, and I think that Dota actually works as a good model for how to do that. Having a hotkey that brings up a wheel of gestures would work well with both PCs and consoles, and make the UI not such of a burden.

Interesting idea. I would like to see some improved UI, too. But consider that DS is not a fast paced game like real time strategy and FPS, it's unlikely you will die within seconds, while typing, because you don't have certain building materials. (DS even allows sleeping, which RTS and FPS allows sleeping?) We only need a few critical calls/status-check such as low-hunger and low-health that display over the player's head.

• Low health / hunger / sanity
  • Freezing / overheating

Notifications:

• Incoming
  • Buildings under attack

Klei hasn't mentioned what all their final communication options will be yet as well as what will be supported in the public beta tests. They are of course going for as many options (besides text) as possible. 

And personally, as long as it's not emoji only (I'll die before I find how to say "My Sanity is at 60 and dropping fast") I'm ok with it :p

There is chat in DST, it works and we don't need this, and what is "DotA2"? Most of this, honestly to me is saying "why do we need this?" Most of the features encourage stealing and PvP. Looking at player's stats and inventories I consider being cheaty when you could get on Team Speak or Skype and ask them and they'll tell you. These features make sense but could cause loads of cheating, and useless fighting (like Super Mario 3D World when people fight for the crown, it makes no sense).

And yes, I'm pulling the string when I said "DotA2", I know what Dota 2 is but I don't play it. Most of Tinker's Ideas I just feel are useless.

In a manner similar to DotA2, players can use alt+click to report various states (health, hunger and sanity) as well as items that they have in excess or need to obtain more of. When alt+clicking health, for example, the player would have a health icon above head with the health value displayed next to it. 

Looking at player's stats and inventories I consider being cheaty when you could get on Team Speak or Skype and ask them and they'll tell you.

I took what he said to mean this:

I click my health icon

My health appears above my head.

to be fair, it would be a much faster method of telling someone what my health/sanity/hunger is.

Plus it would solve the truthseeker's issue

(I'll die before I find how to say "My Sanity is at 60 and dropping fast") I'm ok with it :razz:

You have to do interpretive dancing. Hopefully your playmates are good at that sort of thing. 

Only if you're Wes.

Actually, Wes not being able to communicate with teammates would be an interesting concept

Archived