Annoying Deerclops

Sinelas

@the truthseeker

You made a very nice list of methods of fighting deerclops, but I would like to amend/add some things.

To elaborate on the old bell method, unless you have immense prediction skill, you will need to (A) find and obtain glommer/items on the first full moons Day 10/11, and (B) also need to either find an ice staff, or get a blue gem from a blue hound/graves to make an ice staff with an early prestihat.

Another method that should be mentioned is kiting deerclops through swamps. Tentacles are probably the best suiting mobs to kill it and are renewable.

Lastly, the method that I personally invented (I assume because I have never seen anyone use or mention it) is killing early (day 31) deerclops using boomerangs. Generally, the lower the method risk, the higher the material cost - such as gunpowder being nearly impossible to make enough of so early. It takes about 80 boomerang hits to kill it, which is 8 boomerangs (get 10 in case you dont catch some). That totals to 10 boards, 10 coal, and 10 silk which is super managable early game, kills deerclops within a day cycle, and does not subject you to melee/sanity danger at any point!

PS. As Wigfrid it takes only 60 hits!

PPS. Rock lobsters can kill deerclops. But lets be honest, much rathet have your base destroyed than bring those guys to the surface day 20 and forget about them for a while.

Grass and wood walls will burn, not stone.

Tentacles are non renewable but can take out any giant if there's alot of them (reed trap).

Moose is probably the easiest to kill by kiting. If you have resources to build tooth traps, let the egg spawn, surround it 3 deep if you can then let it hatch. Might not kill all the mosslings but it'll weakened them. Another idea is to get a pig army to help you out. While they are dizzy, help out the pigs.

Grass and wood walls will burn, not stone.

Ok thx :-) but stone walls are really expensive, I think I will try to survive without that :razz: I don't want these giants to destroy my base which become more and more confortable.

ydISDEA.jpg

I find these bee boxes are really Op, we just need 3 of it to have enought honey to prepare for winter, WTF

@the truthseeker

You made a very nice list of methods of fighting deerclops, but I would like to amend/add some things.

To elaborate on the old bell method, unless you have immense prediction skill, you will need to (A) find and obtain glommer/items on the first full moons Day 10/11, and (B) also need to either find an ice staff, or get a blue gem from a blue hound/graves to make an ice staff with an early prestihat.

I mentioned using sleep darts/pan flute before. The Substitute for gunpowder is supposed to be used AFTER ole' Deary is asleep. if you want to do it another way, that's fine too *shrugs*

And I didn't note it, but (for new players reading this) when you first find Glommer's shrine and pickaxe it, you get blueprints. They require Glommer's flower (found only on nights with a full moon) and Glommer's wings to make the Old bell. The latter can only get gotten by Killing Glommer (which summons Krampus if done directly, but not if done by indirectly such as by other enemies or world hazards.) The Old Bell when rung, shortly summons a huge foot to stomp everything in that area, smuhshing all creatures and objects (trees, rocks, etc.) Like Gunpowder, ring it and run!

(And since it's a metal item, leaving it on the ground means Moleworlms WILL grab it with hilarious later results...unless you're next to the Moleworm and did not notice.)

And can somebody confirm the ABOVE ground tentacles don't grow back still? 

What can I do with this down feathers ?

The luxury fan, which takes 5 down, and can be used for cooling down (mainly useful for fighting firefly and not having to worry as much about overheating)

Weather Pain, which is a weapon and takes 10 down. 

It's worth mentioning that the Moslings also drop down.  If you let the M'Moose hatch the moslings, you'll get TONS more down that you will from one M'Moose.  I find the best (or at least most satisfying) way to deal with the Moslings to be the Old Bell.  The Moslings follow the M'Moose, and the M'Moose is pretty slow, so if you have it's attention, and then ring the bell, by the time the foot arrives, it's not too hard to have the Moslings right there, where they will be insta-squashed.    But REMEMBER that Bigfoot takes a couple stomps before and after the spot you target.  So don't try that too close to your base!

Well, Reign of Giants is all about giants messing you up, and Deerclops has been implemented as a basehassler.

Deerclops is the only seasonal giant from base-Don'tStarve.

He always seems to spawn first winter, and there isn't really time to run. If he can't find you, he'll destroy your base.

The only thing you can do without another base is try to catch his attention and then lure him to a swamp or something. But just putting a firepit and a sign close to each other should count as base, so you should go there if you notice winters end (maybe with an ice box and/or crock pot).

Oh, and I don't know if this is just bad luck, but I never get a deerclops after first winter (base-DS)

I wish I got more. On my first 2 games, I only survived to like day 40 and never saw any.

On my third, I've survived to I'm guessing around day 400, and I only saw one like 300 something in.

I need more Illuminati turrets Houndius Shootii(?)!

Archived